Like this page? Then share it!
dreadlocks shampoo
Dreadlocks Forums

crochet dreads discussion and pictures

Brian G
@brian-g
10 years ago
2 posts
I know it's a different thing but I started my dreadlocks with a twist and interlock about ten months ago but have done absolutely nothing but wash since then. I'm considering chopping my hair at this point a starting completely over with the free form method. I had a huge Congo on my right temple that i tore apart about a month ago and now can see three locks forming out of my crazy curly hair. The back of my head locked up very well, the front however is stiff and funky. There are tight spots from the original interlock and they are pretty flat. Like I said, I've done Nothing but wash and air dry since the initial mistake of interlocking. So I'm wondering if the flat clearly interlocked dreads will eventually compress and even out or if I should just chop and start over? The other factor is I have to pull my hair back for work (as a carpenter) I'm sure that has an effect on the process of dreading but would that also cause the stiffness and flatness? I don't mind my hair looking crazy, that's kinda why I started dreading in the first place, just curious if I've done irreparable damage or not. Thanks and sorry for the novella.
updated by @brian-g: 07/23/15 08:21:14AM
☮ soaring eagle ॐ
@soaring-eagle
10 years ago
29,640 posts

well interlocking cant be repaired but if it was only done 1 time at the roots instead of the whole length then its not as devestating tho those points will be weird and have a higher chance of snapping off i would say that u can let it grow out then if u want u can chop off just above there..i hate seeimng dreads cut for any reason though

u could carefully comb out and freeform

or let it go from here

butmain concern is that interlocking shouldnt really causes stiffness ..was wax used/ if so the wax is causing that or possibly even heavy gelbuilduop

what do u wash with?

--
My new book Ban The Taboo Vol 1
Brian G
@brian-g
10 years ago
2 posts
Thanks! I wash with dr bronner's 2-3 per week and I have never put any product in my hair besides bronner's. The one on the side I tried to comb out and broke the comb. I reached a point of no return and had to use scissors to get it loose. They are only stiff where the interlock knots are. I guess I'll just let it ride.
DreadHeadJen
@dreadheadjen
9 years ago
5 posts

I TnRd my 1st set and they just werent very good ( other than sectioning was very bad)...this set is backcombed and crocheted lightly. ( you could look and not be able to really tell). They are holding together a lot better! I dont know if it because of the crochet, i kind of doubt it. I dont plan to keep crocheting them. 

☮ soaring eagle ॐ
@soaring-eagle
9 years ago
29,640 posts

good, but the other set were only a week old, they never had to hold together at al;l, inj fact the looser they were the faster they would dread

now that these are crochetted they will take 6 months before they even start to dread most likely

at a week they should have been loose..very loose very messy

in fact should have gotten looser and looser  before even startintg to tighten up

now, that loosening  is going to take 6 months..  6 months untill they loosened enough to begin to dread on thier own

now if you look at peaople here who start from nothing...mo tnr no backcokmbing, many start to dread in weeks even days

and by 6 months are well on thier way..crochet makes them look  much more dreaded from the start but makes them take much much longer to actualy dread

you would have nbeen much better off leaving the tnr in

or if u were  to take out thetnr, just let them dread naturally, by doing nothing

--
My new book Ban The Taboo Vol 1
AZDreads
@azdreads
9 years ago
5 posts

Thank Soaring Eagle for this! lots of help

/ 4
Dislike 0

Tags

comments powered by Disqus
privacy policy Contact Form