Like this page? Then share it!
dreadlocks shampoo
Dreadlocks Forums

crochet dreads discussion and pictures

Panterra Caraway
@panterra-caraway
10 years ago
667 posts

In the 1970's hair was highlighted most often with a plastic cap and crochet hook...it was called frosting. Frosting was only appropriate for relatively short hair because longer hair simply could not fit into the plastic cap. The problems associated with frosting centered on the metal crochet hook. Even done correctly, pulling strands of hair through tiny holes in a plastic cap via a metal tool was uncomfortable...and many times, (especially if performed by the inexperienced!) quite painful! There was also a very real chance of hair loss from breakage. At the time, it was the best that the beauty industry had to offer. By the mid to later 1980's, a newer, non painful, more natural highlighting method became available...it was called weaving. It involved small sections of hair "woven" out with the end of a rattail comb, covered in haircolor and wrapped into sheets of foil. Many women and hairstylists breathed a sigh of relief! Okay...so that said...why would anyone want to go back to using a barbaric tool that inflicts damage and pain?!!! Nuff said!!!

updated by @panterra-caraway: 07/22/15 11:56:42PM
☮ soaring eagle ॐ
@soaring-eagle
10 years ago
29,640 posts

thank you panterra ..and welcome back

--
My new book Ban The Taboo Vol 1
Panterra Caraway
@panterra-caraway
10 years ago
667 posts

You're welcome! Big love to you SE...keep spreading the word...the truth shall set them free!

soaring eagle said:

thank you panterra ..and welcome back

Sarahface
@sarah16
10 years ago
108 posts

I just wanted to show this image my friend posted on FB of his crochet hook after he used it on his dreads. D: He's awesome though, I'm not pushing any ideas onto him about maintenance because its none of my business and I understand some people just prefer the crochet look. I just thought this image would be good in this thread to those who are opposed to the crochet and agree that it can damage your dreads. It boosted my pro-natural feeling of dreadiness!

updated by @sarah16: 02/05/15 10:12:49AM
☮ soaring eagle ॐ
@soaring-eagle
10 years ago
29,640 posts

u should at least show him this discission

--
della richardson
@della-richardson
10 years ago
1 posts
i was just curious how people who start with crochet~ how do they do their maintenanc when new growth starts??
☮ soaring eagle ॐ
@soaring-eagle
10 years ago
29,640 posts

with the hook unless they are smart then they do no maintenance at all

--
Billy Pilgrim
@billy-pilgrim
10 years ago
6 posts

I too handle the crochet...until now, that is. I had my first hair style done, right before the crochet method. It comprised of waxing and rolling. it looked terrible after a few days and I had to go back to work a couple of days later! So, in came the crochetting.Lots of hours of work by my wife. I did a lot myself after she managed to bundle dreads. After reading the info on this site, I have come to the decision to abandon the crochet method, I just - literally, just - threw the crochet needle overboard. So in comes the natural/neglect.

What frustrated me - only slightly - during my internet visits, is that my wife and I have searched for weeks to find the method I preferred: the natural look, but couldn't find it. Funny enough - now having the crochet dreads - I stumbled across your site when looking for hair decoration. All of a sudden I see hundreds of people wearing the type of dreads I was looking for. Ha!

Well, c'est la vie. So... let's see...now how to figure out how convert from crochet to natural.
My search begins here.

Thanks for being here, founder and joiners, my heart goes out to you all.

☮ soaring eagle ॐ
@soaring-eagle
10 years ago
29,640 posts

now that you stopped crocheting your dreads you will want to start doing wax removal too

--
Billy Pilgrim
@billy-pilgrim
10 years ago
6 posts

Thanks, Soaring Eagle. The wax had already been removed right before the crochetting started. The hair's cork dry, nothing in there, but hair. Should I use something to minimize the breaking?

soaring eagle said:

now that you stopped crocheting your dreads you will want to start doing wax removal too

/ 4

Dislike 0

Tags

comments powered by Disqus
privacy policy Contact Form