dreadlocks shampoo
Dreadlocks Forums

crocheting

☮ soaring eagle ॐ
@soaring-eagle
10 years ago
29,640 posts

wxactly

most crocheters waste 15 hours week poking holes in their dreads trying to maintain an unrealistic neatness

--
My new book Ban The Taboo Vol 1

updated by @soaring-eagle: 07/22/15 05:59:02AM
Linus
@linus
10 years ago
43 posts

Whats the point of maintaining something that maintain itself?

Tim5
@tim5
10 years ago
359 posts

Crochet is nasty for hair, even nastier for dreads, don't do it. Like Baba said, as a starter, it is not the worst thing in the world, but will still damage. The are alot of locticians that have happy customers, and guess what, they all have damaged dreads!

Tara C
@tara-c
10 years ago
644 posts

To 'create' dreads, it's not too bad, unless you do them too tightly. If to maintain them, that's when damage is caused more, because it breaks hairs, so over time, the more you crochet, the more hairs break, until eventually the dread is severely weakened to the point it breaks off.

People who use wax also are very loyal and happy customers, it doesn't mean it isn't damaging, just that people don't see the damage it does. The thing about dreads is that the outside can look perfect, while the inside is a damaged mess, and you can't necessarily tell.

Besides that, it's kind of like palm-rolling; you're doing it to fix something or maintain dreads, make them look neat. And then not long afterwards, they're messy again, because that's life, but also because the thing you're doing to tidy them is causing them to get messy again lol. So damage aside, I think it's pointless, because you'll be crocheting to cover up the frizz and mess caused by crocheting. It's a never-ending battle.

Derek2
@dreadedhyena
10 years ago
37 posts

*facepalm*

The point of dreading is defeated upon using any outside source to "make" them.

Just my opinion though.

I cant express how fun and interesting it is to wake up each day knowing your hair is taking another step in its own journey. If you control it...then wheres the fun and uniqueness. Ehh. Mine is starting to mature quite a bit now, and it makes me a little bit sad due to the fact all the insanity is starting to work itself out. Not as many flares, loops, bumps, strange designs, etc.

At one point I had a dread whose ends were still loops and such...looked a lot like a spiders web with the number 26 written inside of it. I've had others look like flames rolling off of a burning tree branch. Etc etc etc.

All I'm saying is...when you force your hair to be "proper" from its inception of the dread process, you kill off all the unique things you see along the way.

I feel I'm rambling, so I go now!

Takes care yall!

DreadsUK
@dreadsuk
10 years ago
13 posts

I would encourage everyone to get involved in the debate. All will be revealed the day of the live debate. I dont want to say too much now and ruin it, but you wont want to miss it. Me and Soaring Eagle disagree and will be going head to hear in a live video discussion. NOT to be missed :) http://www.dreadlockssite.com/forum/topics/who-wants-in-on-the-debate?xg_source=activity&id=3754945%3ATopic%3A1814113&page=2#comments

☮ soaring eagle ॐ
@soaring-eagle
10 years ago
29,640 posts

we've already got tons and tons of definitive proof here

--
DreadsUK
@dreadsuk
10 years ago
13 posts

Then having this live stream video discussion shouldn't be a problem for you. Looking forward to it :)

soaring eagle said:

we've already got tons and tons of definitive proof here

Sting.Rey
@stingrey
10 years ago
42 posts

Sometimes the burnt hand teaches best. However good our intentions are in preventing damaging "dread techniques" some people will have to experience it for themselves to see our reasoning. I only had interlocks done on my hair, while not as damaging as a sharp needle being run though it ripping the strands, I can tell you that when I went to undo them I could tell and feel how much the strands were weakened. Live and learn.

☮ soaring eagle ॐ
@soaring-eagle
10 years ago
29,640 posts

seem to be but arent at all they take a severe amount oif damage to fall apart but your getting there everytime i crochet

a single 1 inch healthy dread should take between 1 and 3 thousand pounds to break it

crochetting weekly for a year will reduce that strength to just ounces

your dsreads althougfh they may still be string enough to support hundreds of pounds are still drasticly weakened from how they would be if left alone and each and every time you crovchet they get weaker still

when u split them u literally broke every single hair in them many times

think about it every hair in the dreads going in everyh direction jumbled up into a mas so splitting end to end your rupping every single hair dozens even hundreds of times

dreads can survive serius abuse but if you continue doing what youir doing the damage can be severe and permenant

--

/ 3

Dislike 0

Tags

comments powered by Disqus
privacy policy Contact Form