Like this page? Then share it!
dreadlocks shampoo
Dreadlocks Forums

Is there anyone who's hair won't lock?

Mairi Campbell
@mairi-campbell
11 years ago
21 posts

Maybe it's too short (jaw length layered bob) but after a week of just washing it, no combing, no hair products, no finger combing, and spending my whole day out in the wind and sun for a the whole week, I do not have one single tangle. My hair is naturally pretty curly and fine..I thought it would lock easily. I know it takes a couple of weeks, but I thought I would have at least a few tangles by now. Is it too short? Do some people just have hair that won't lock up?

updated by @mairi-campbell: 02/15/15 04:08:19AM
☮ soaring eagle ॐ
@soaring-eagle
11 years ago
29,640 posts

haha a week?

ok some hair dreads in a week

more in 3 weeks

more in 3 months

some in a uear

no all hair will dread

but only about 5% dread in a week

plus its short

longer hair dreads faster

to even ask this question after only days (a weeks 7 days 168 hours

have you ever planted a tree? or any seed at all for that matter?

did you sit there for hours waiting to see it pop through the soil? were you disapointed when you had to sleep and it hadnt popped up yet?

or did you just trust that it would happen at some point datys weeks even months later

if youd ever been pregnant did you roll over after conception and stare at your watch waiting to see how long it took for a head to pop out?

or..for that matter a week into pregnency would you as "do some babies refuse to be born and just stay in there forever?"

these things all take to]ime ..to assume that it will never happen when hardly any time at all has passed is silly

but

what are you washing with

how

how re you drying

etc

lets spot any mistakes so maybe you'll find a dread in another week or 3 or 5

theres no schedule

some dont find a knot or tangle for quite awhile

others it only takes hours

stop expecting..wait and see

--
My new book Ban The Taboo Vol 1
Mairi Campbell
@mairi-campbell
11 years ago
21 posts

Thank you for the helpful tips and encouragement, and also the nice description of the process. Much appreciated

Jules Victoria said:

You can help it along by wrapping your pillow in a wool sweater or vest. That's what helped mine start. Otherwise be patient.

It will not happen overnight or in a week or maybe not for a while.

You'll start to see it section.

Then it will mat a little (especially where you sleep on it), which you will separate into smaller sections.

It will progress even when it looks like it's regressing. It will change weekly, and then daily and you will love every knot and loop and swirl and telling your story to people who are interested.

Enjoy every minute of it and before you know it a little baby dread is forming and then another and another and another and...

BOOM!!!

You're a dreadhead

:)

Mairi Campbell
@mairi-campbell
11 years ago
21 posts

I don't think jumping all over me for my question was completely necessary. I am not stupid....I know it will take time, I just wondered what was the timeframe, on average, that one would begin to see any change happening. Sorry I asked now.

soaring eagle said:

haha a week?

ok some hair dreads in a week

more in 3 weeks

more in 3 months

some in a uear

no all hair will dread

but only about 5% dread in a week

plus its short

longer hair dreads faster

to even ask this question after only days (a weeks 7 days 168 hours

have you ever planted a tree? or any seed at all for that matter?

did you sit there for hours waiting to see it pop through the soil? were you disapointed when you had to sleep and it hadnt popped up yet?

or did you just trust that it would happen at some point datys weeks even months later

if youd ever been pregnant did you roll over after conception and stare at your watch waiting to see how long it took for a head to pop out?

or..for that matter a week into pregnency would you as "do some babies refuse to be born and just stay in there forever?"

these things all take to]ime ..to assume that it will never happen when hardly any time at all has passed is silly

but

what are you washing with

how

how re you drying

etc

lets spot any mistakes so maybe you'll find a dread in another week or 3 or 5

theres no schedule

some dont find a knot or tangle for quite awhile

others it only takes hours

stop expecting..wait and see

Mons
@mons
11 years ago
518 posts

Ditto what Jules said! Each persons hair is different.

I've had dread for just over 2 years, I have a couple sections of loose hair that have just started knotting up over the last month. 2 years of long straight soft hair, it was really frustrating.

My oldest sons now ex-girlfriend, she quit brushing the last weekend of May this year (not even 5 months ago!) She's got a full head of natural dreadies that are just amazing. Granted, her hair is long and fairly curly.

Just a couple examples for you :)

Mairi Campbell
@mairi-campbell
11 years ago
21 posts

Good to know! That gives me some perspective. I think it will take a while. Someone else commented that it seems people with spiral curls (like me) seem to take longer. Just wanted to know! Thanks :)

Mons said:

Ditto what Jules said! Each persons hair is different.

I've had dread for just over 2 years, I have a couple sections of loose hair that have just started knotting up over the last month. 2 years of long straight soft hair, it was really frustrating.

My oldest sons now ex-girlfriend, she quit brushing the last weekend of May this year (not even 5 months ago!) She's got a full head of natural dreadies that are just amazing. Granted, her hair is long and fairly curly.

Just a couple examples for you :)

☮ soaring eagle ॐ
@soaring-eagle
11 years ago
29,640 posts

spiral curls sometimes take longer but generaly dread faster like rachel natty d

and sorry if you felt my comments were harsh they wernt meant that way it was meant to be more joking and silly but at the same time really get the point across that its too soon to assume nothings gonna happen

look at ixchel hers too a long time to begin to dread but now they are awesome

--
Mairi Campbell
@mairi-campbell
11 years ago
21 posts

Ok well that's fair enough...you did come across a bit strong. I went back and reread my post to be sure, and I did not imply that I expected fully formed, perfect dreads in a week. I was just surprised to not even find a tangle after a week in the sea wind. Anyway, let's put that behind us. You asked me a few questions which I did not wish to discuss with you at that time. I am washing it with normal shampoo, and towel drying it vigorously then leaving it be. I would appreciate any tips you might have. And I have another question: I am hoping that with my hair being on the short side, that even though it will take longer to start locking, that maybe it will make stronger dreads? Or would it be better to wait until it is longer so that it locks more easily? Or does it make any difference? Thanks in advance, and peace and blessings

Mairi Campbell
@mairi-campbell
11 years ago
21 posts

I was just reading about the baking soda rinse! Great, thanks so much for the help...will let you know in a few weeks...or months..or whatever..haha....how it's going :)

Jules Victoria said:

Start doing the baking soda rinse (see "dreaducation" - no ACV follow up for the first few weeks) and just pat dry, no vigorous rubbing.

It'll dread much faster this way ;)

Mairi Campbell said:

Ok well that's fair enough...you did come across a bit strong. I went back and reread my post to be sure, and I did not imply that I expected fully formed, perfect dreads in a week. I was just surprised to not even find a tangle after a week in the sea wind. Anyway, let's put that behind us. You asked me a few questions which I did not wish to discuss with you at that time. I am washing it with normal shampoo, and towel drying it vigorously then leaving it be. I would appreciate any tips you might have. And I have another question: I am hoping that with my hair being on the short side, that even though it will take longer to start locking, that maybe it will make stronger dreads? Or would it be better to wait until it is longer so that it locks more easily? Or does it make any difference? Thanks in advance, and peace and blessings

☮ soaring eagle ॐ
@soaring-eagle
11 years ago
29,640 posts

thats why it will never dread when you wash with normal shampoo and towel dry that way

switch the the baking soda or dreadlockshampoo stop towel drying (rubbing any tangles out of existence) those changes and you my see some actuion in just a week

Mairi Campbell said:

--
 / 2

Dislike 0

Tags

comments powered by Disqus
privacy policy Contact Form