Like this page? Then share it!
Dreadlocks Site Highly Recommends dreadlockshampoo.com
Dreadlocks Forums

I have quite a few questions about the natural method.

D!
@d
7 years ago
44 posts
So I just wanted to chime in on this, I have super curly hair when it isn't locked up. I have over a 100 dreads that were formed all natural and none of them are bigger around than my pinkie. When I first quit combing and my hair started to lock, I would palm roll my baby locks to work some of the loose hairs surrounding them into my already forming locks. If you just wash your hair regularly and leave them be you'll have a head full of locks in no time. My hair only took about two weeks before people started to make comments on how nice my "dreads" looked even though they took about a year to fully mature. My locks are very small and if I'd allowed them to congo more I think they would have matured a little faster as fatter dreads seem to do.
updated by @d: 07/23/15 08:16:00AM
Jammin' Jay
@jammin-jay
7 years ago
30 posts
glad to help! ;DFlicker Wings said:
This honestly made me decided on all natural. thank you. much love

Jammin' Jay said:
Oh man! So many questions, but such good ones!

We can help!

Welcome, btw. Lovely to see you here, dear.

Great start; no longer using conditioner and no longer combing! What I did (and it worked well, my dreads are about 2 months old and already very well defined) is I started washing my hair with plain Dove bar soap. You want to use something with as little oils in it as possible so that the soap can strip your hair of oils allowing your hair to have the correct texture to lock up tighter and faster. I also wear a wool dread tam or hat, which I sleep in to help my little hairs that haven't found their dread to pull themselves together using the static electricity from the wool.

As for sectioning, I found that my hair went into the locks that it wanted to be in without my help. I think that you should let your hair section itself, and after a while you'll want to go through and do some maintainance by pulling appart the sections that have gravitated that seem to be loose in between. believe me, you'll be much happier about how your hair looks and how your hair sits on your scalp if you try to let it go as natural as possible. Here's a pic of the back of my head right now so that you can see for yourself how naturally dreading has helped the back of my head stay tidy and comfortable.

Image and video hosting by TinyPic

Having let my locks piece out naturally, all of my locks are different sizes, but they're all the right size. I pulled some of mine appart at first, and now I'm having to combine them again, just because it didn't look right. Most likely they won't be super huge, so you really shouldn't worry.

I tried to leave my hair down as much as possible when I first started mine because the hair needs to be able to move in order to lock up. I suggest getting the dread tam if you'd like to hide your hair away for a little while, but it is ok to put it up in a pony tail if you need to every once in a while. Try not to wear it up too much because it may cause the dreaded uni-dread (or beaver tail) or start to wear a thin spot into your dreads (no bueno).

You should have baby dreads pretty early on because of your hair type. Curly hair dreads up nice, girl, especially natural. You don't need to twist and rip either, you should be able to just palm roll your locks once they start forming and they'll look real nice real soon.

I hope that I could help!
Good luck, mama. I'm sure they'll be gorgeous!
~Peace&Love~
jaimee
Kundalini Rise
@kundalini-rise
7 years ago
67 posts
Go natural, don't worry, especially about vanity. :?
ela
@ela
7 years ago
6 posts
SORRY FOR BEING A LITTLE STUPID ::> _ BUT WATS T&R :?thankseLaFlicker Wings said:
As much as I would like to go the natural way, I am not comfortable walking around with my fuzy curly fro for eight months. I would be much comfortable walking around wih a head full of baby dreads using the t&r method. Thank you all for your input. I already have 3 dreads that I've had for about 6 months that have been matureing nicely. So I'm looking foreward to having a whole head of them. I'm gonna get started on my new ones tonight.
Be easy
Meg
GoldenEagle
@goldeneagle
7 years ago
389 posts
Twist and Ripela said:
SORRY FOR BEING A LITTLE STUPID ::> _ BUT WATS T&R :?

thanks
eLa
ela
@ela
7 years ago
6 posts
OOOOOOO :> tankjuu dudeXGoldenEagle said:
Twist and Rip

ela said:
SORRY FOR BEING A LITTLE STUPID ::> _ BUT WATS T&R :?

thanks
eLa
Bobbi
@bobbi
7 years ago
27 posts
I had some of the same reservations as you. I was anxious about going to work and out in public with "messy" hair. So for the first six months I honestly wore my wool tam EVERYWHERE. But since it's hot now I just wear a headband or a bandanna. Both hide the frizz a bit. You could find yourself lightweight cute hats to wear to hide the messiness also. And honestly other than the frizziness I didn't notice that my hair was messy looking all that often. I also found that if I wet my hair or washed it then my hair would appear more manageable. Surprising to me I've been getting tons of compliments from the management in my company about my dreads but I expected them to be more opposed so it just shows that you can never assume anything about people.If you have super curly hair like I have than you won't have any trouble at all getting a head full of dreads. I remember having 3 start almost immediately underneath and now they are awesome dreads only eight months later. For me, months 2-5 were frustrating and felt like nothing was happening than BAM after six months they really took off. All it takes is patience and remembering that even if you aren't visibly seeing the dreads that every day they are knotting themselves up even more.
karen
@karen
7 years ago
78 posts
I regret every day that my dreads were crochet made but this picture makes me want to cut my hair off, grow it long and allow it to go naturalYour dreads are truly beautiful and awesome!Hopefully with the unravelling im doing ill find some peace with my dreadsThanks for sharing!Jammin' Jay said:
Oh man! So many questions, but such good ones!

We can help!

Welcome, btw. Lovely to see you here, dear.

Great start; no longer using conditioner and no longer combing! What I did (and it worked well, my dreads are about 2 months old and already very well defined) is I started washing my hair with plain Dove bar soap. You want to use something with as little oils in it as possible so that the soap can strip your hair of oils allowing your hair to have the correct texture to lock up tighter and faster. I also wear a wool dread tam or hat, which I sleep in to help my little hairs that haven't found their dread to pull themselves together using the static electricity from the wool.

As for sectioning, I found that my hair went into the locks that it wanted to be in without my help. I think that you should let your hair section itself, and after a while you'll want to go through and do some maintainance by pulling appart the sections that have gravitated that seem to be loose in between. believe me, you'll be much happier about how your hair looks and how your hair sits on your scalp if you try to let it go as natural as possible. Here's a pic of the back of my head right now so that you can see for yourself how naturally dreading has helped the back of my head stay tidy and comfortable.

Image and video hosting by TinyPic

Having let my locks piece out naturally, all of my locks are different sizes, but they're all the right size. I pulled some of mine appart at first, and now I'm having to combine them again, just because it didn't look right. Most likely they won't be super huge, so you really shouldn't worry.

I tried to leave my hair down as much as possible when I first started mine because the hair needs to be able to move in order to lock up. I suggest getting the dread tam if you'd like to hide your hair away for a little while, but it is ok to put it up in a pony tail if you need to every once in a while. Try not to wear it up too much because it may cause the dreaded uni-dread (or beaver tail) or start to wear a thin spot into your dreads (no bueno).

You should have baby dreads pretty early on because of your hair type. Curly hair dreads up nice, girl, especially natural. You don't need to twist and rip either, you should be able to just palm roll your locks once they start forming and they'll look real nice real soon.

I hope that I could help!
Good luck, mama. I'm sure they'll be gorgeous!
~Peace&Love~
jaimee
☮ soaring eagle ॐ
@soaring-eagle
7 years ago
27,923 posts
im the one with the wingspan to take u under

Foxy Girl said:
I might be sold on the natural method. Jammin Jay take me under your wing!
Flicker Wings said:
This honestly made me decided on all natural. thank you. much love

Jammin' Jay said:
Oh man! So many questions, but such good ones!

We can help!
Welcome, btw. Lovely to see you here, dear.Great start; no longer using conditioner and no longer combing! What I did (and it worked well, my dreads are about 2 months old and already very well defined) is I started washing my hair with plain Dove bar soap. You want to use something with as little oils in it as possible so that the soap can strip your hair of oils allowing your hair to have the correct texture to lock up tighter and faster. I also wear a wool dread tam or hat, which I sleep in to help my little hairs that haven't found their dread to pull themselves together using the static electricity from the wool.As for sectioning, I found that my hair went into the locks that it wanted to be in without my help. I think that you should let your hair section itself, and after a while you'll want to go through and do some maintainance by pulling appart the sections that have gravitated that seem to be loose in between. believe me, you'll be much happier about how your hair looks and how your hair sits on your scalp if you try to let it go as natural as possible. Here's a pic of the back of my head right now so that you can see for yourself how naturally dreading has helped the back of my head stay tidy and comfortable.Image and video hosting by TinyPicHaving let my locks piece out naturally, all of my locks are different sizes, but they're all the right size. I pulled some of mine appart at first, and now I'm having to combine them again, just because it didn't look right. Most likely they won't be super huge, so you really shouldn't worry.I tried to leave my hair down as much as possible when I first started mine because the hair needs to be able to move in order to lock up. I suggest getting the dread tam if you'd like to hide your hair away for a little while, but it is ok to put it up in a pony tail if you need to every once in a while. Try not to wear it up too much because it may cause the dreaded uni-dread (or beaver tail) or start to wear a thin spot into your dreads (no bueno).You should have baby dreads pretty early on because of your hair type. Curly hair dreads up nice, girl, especially natural. You don't need to twist and rip either, you should be able to just palm roll your locks once they start forming and they'll look real nice real soon.I hope that I could help!Good luck, mama. I'm sure they'll be gorgeous!~Peace&Love~jaimee



--
Creator and head dreadhead at:
Dreadlocks Site
Glider pilot student at:
Freedoms wings international

updated by @soaring-eagle: 02/05/15 10:12:49AM
joyful.d
@joyfuld
7 years ago
9 posts
Meg, I just started my dread journey about 5 weeks ago and I also have very thick and curly hair (soooo frizzy!). I sectioned and backcombed (hadn't found this site yet...if only I'd known!) and while the sections have certainly stayed more or less as they were originally, the backcombing essentially fell out immediately and it's now redreading. Now my hair is congoing like mad, so I'm constantly ripping sections apart, which suggests it would have dreaded naturally really well.In retrospect, I should have just gotten myself a wool cap, slept with a sweater on my pillow, and let my hair do it's own thing, ripping it into appropriately sized sections as time went on. Instead, I spent many hours backcombing, only for it to fall out and redread naturally. For what it's worth, I've been wearing a sleeve (literally: it's a mens XL tshirt sleeve) over my hair since I dreaded it, and underneath it is locking up SO well.Congratulations on your decision! As fuzzy and nuts as my hair currently is, I am absolutely thrilled with my decision.
 
 / 2
Dislike 0

Share This

Tags

comments powered by Disqus
Contact Form