Like this page? Then share it!
dreadlocks shampoo
Dreadlocks Forums

Do not use Goo Gone for wax removel

Doogie
@doogie
13 years ago
321 posts

Ok, I went to Walmart today for De-Solv-it and they don't carry it like was recomended so instead I got a bottle of Goo Gone since it had an orange oil base. I sprayed it on my dreads and worked it in. Left in for about 10mins before rinsing and doing a ACV soak. I soaked for 15mins then rinsed then used Dawn dish soap to wash and then I did my BS soak in a big mixing bowl. The water was cruddy but it seems the Goo Gone really weighed them down! 95% of my dreads are still hard from that DAMN wax! Guess the next step at some point is to heat up some water in a pot and try to do that and with any luck it'll come out and I won't burn myself in the process! This was my second attempt in maybe 6mths to remove wax. My dreads are also really tacky and the Goo Gone also left my hair greesy/oily and crap!

updated by @doogie: 02/14/15 11:38:17AM
Nichole Currier
@nichole-currier
13 years ago
53 posts

:o sorry to hear about all of that, I used wax with my first set (against my first instinct a few years ago), and combed them out 6 months later, the inside of my dreadlocks were disgusting, i ended up cutting my hair just above my chin, I was so grossed out just picking my dreads apart. Goodluck on saving your dreads! I wish I had advice to give you, but I ended up so unhappy with mine I just got rid of them, until a few months ago. Hope you find a better way! :)

☮ soaring eagle ॐ
@soaring-eagle
13 years ago
29,640 posts

hmm i thought u were gonna say it destroyed your hair but sounds to me like it was working..somewhat it losened up the wax brining more to the surface..maybe i cant be sure

i know its been used b4

id do a test dread and actualy dip it in then squeeze it in

--
My new book Ban The Taboo Vol 1
Doogie
@doogie
13 years ago
321 posts

I just wish there was some kinda safe wax removing shampoo out there somewhere that would magical turn that nasty wax right into a liquid and then just rinse away all that nastiness!

I'm really afraid of harsh products like the Goo Gone cause I'm afraid of the damage it may cause! I'm tired of most of my dreads felling hard and when ppl touch them they ask if they're sopposed to be hard and I tell them no, it's from the wax! I don't know if I should shave them off and start fresh in 4yrs or just let them grow out a few more yrs and then cut them right above the hard crap!

I'm now a year in and I don't wanna try to comb them out just leading to even more damage! I boiled some water earlier and dipped 1 in for a few minutes, pulled it out and squeezed and wiped but seems to have made it worse looking almost like a candle! ARGH! I don't know what to do!

Panterra Caraway
@panterra-caraway
13 years ago
667 posts

You are lucky you didn't dissolve your hair! Keep in mind, that ultimately...hair is protein strands. In the process of getting the wax out...don't weaken and destroy your hair...or dreads won't even matter.

SurrealLove
@surreallove
13 years ago
12 posts

A few months ago (a month or so after I started my dreads with wax) I went to Wal Mart looking for De Solv It, and they didn't carry it. So I ordered some online. The bottle sat on my shelf for a few months, and I thought "I only waxed them a couple of times, they're probably fine". Which brings me to this morning. I decided it was time to get rid of the nastiness, and Iused almost a whole bottle on my hair. It really did a great job of loosening the wax, but it was very a disgusting process, and I ran out of the spray and hot water in the shower before I really felt I was making progress. I ran back to Wal Mart hoping and praying that they'd have more, and they did! So I bought two more bottles for less than I paid for one online. Tonight I plan on finishing the job, and I'll let you know how it goes. I'm really upset at myself for spending so much money on DreadHead products, and so much time doing unnecessary maintenance damage to my hair, but I won't give up!

SurrealLove
@surreallove
13 years ago
12 posts

After two washings with De Solv It followed by a baking soda soak and apple cider vinegar rinse, my hair feels MUCH better. And the coolest thing is, it's starting to get it's personality back! Every one of my dreads is super kinked and loopy, whereas before they were all straight. I'm starting to like it. ^_^ When they grow out a few more inches I may run that stuff through them again to see if there's still more wax in them, but for now, I'm just happy they're better off than they were.

Aika
@aika
13 years ago
57 posts

i used wax maybe 2-3 times in the first couple of days. i used Desert Essence Thoroughly Clean Face Wash to get my wax out, which is all natural and organic. i actually ended up undoing all of my dreads as i washed the wax out (they were backcombed the first time so they came out easily). the good thing about using desert essence face wash is that it's not harmful and you can actually lather it up a little as you apply it to your dreads. and what i noticed is that as itemulsifiedthe wax the lather became more white and more creamy. when i rinsed each dread as i washed it, i just filled a sink with hot water and rinsed it in there. afterwards i could see a film on the top of the water, which im guessing was the wax. the face wash is a little pricey...9-10 bux, but you might go through half the bottle and the rest you could use on your face. it's very concentrated so you only need a little at a time. like one pump per 4 inches of dread? hope this helps.

Doogie said:

I just wish there was some kinda safe wax removing shampoo out there somewhere that would magical turn that nasty wax right into a liquid and then just rinse away all that nastiness!

I'm really afraid of harsh products like the Goo Gone cause I'm afraid of the damage it may cause! I'm tired of most of my dreads felling hard and when ppl touch them they ask if they're sopposed to be hard and I tell them no, it's from the wax! I don't know if I should shave them off and start fresh in 4yrs or just let them grow out a few more yrs and then cut them right above the hard crap!

I'm now a year in and I don't wanna try to comb them out just leading to even more damage! I boiled some water earlier and dipped 1 in for a few minutes, pulled it out and squeezed and wiped but seems to have made it worse looking almost like a candle! ARGH! I don't know what to do!

Lazdaa
@lazdaa
13 years ago
81 posts

How did you use the Dissolve to remove the wax, in the bc wash? or what?

SurrealLove said:

After two washings with De Solv It followed by a baking soda soak and apple cider vinegar rinse, my hair feels MUCH better. And the coolest thing is, it's starting to get it's personality back! Every one of my dreads is super kinked and loopy, whereas before they were all straight. I'm starting to like it. ^_^ When they grow out a few more inches I may run that stuff through them again to see if there's still more wax in them, but for now, I'm just happy they're better off than they were.

Lazdaa
@lazdaa
13 years ago
81 posts

This is exactly as my right now... Used wax in the beginning and then stopped after some months.. But i really don't know what is the most safe way the get the sticky stuff out...

I Where thinking about doing the boiled water thing, but now when you mention it like that, i don't know if want too..

Doogie said:

/ 2

Dislike 0

Tags

comments powered by Disqus
privacy policy Contact Form