Like this page? Then share it!
dreadlocks shampoo
Dreadlocks Forums

Finally got it to work

Heather
@heather
11 years ago
1,291 posts

i've been trying the dreadlock shampoo bars off and on since they came out. i think i've bought three so far. the problem that i was having was that they seemed to leave me with a ton of residue no matter what i did. i ended up getting a shower head water filter last spring which i thought was going to solve all my problems. unfortunately, i still ended up with the same residue issue. i really had abandoned them thinking they were never going to work for me. recently the goddess scent was released and i was intrigued. it sounded lovely and regardless of my troubles i ordered a bar. it does smell amazing and was so excited for my hair to smell amazing too. unfortunately i had the same issues. i figured i was just a glutton for punishment and set it aside.

recently we had a heat wave in the middle of winter and my scalp went nuts. it's always been pretty dry but it turned excessive which caused mad scratching and dandruff. i seriously thought i had lice or something. it was so bad that i was considering shaving my head. instead i messaged some friends on here that use the bars and found that i might just be doing it wrong. i normally would lather the bar in my hands and then scrub my scalp with my finger tips and repeat this all over my head and then rinse. everyone i spoke to said use ALOT. so this time i did the same thing but i also rubbed the bar all over my scalp and continued to wet the bar between passes. i ended up with a huge billowing cloud of bubbles on my head. i then scrubbed my scalp well with my fingertips and then rinsed. i rinsed for about 10 minutes using cold water. i also turned my shower head to the massage setting and really got down to my scalp to be sure there was no soap left behind. worked perfectly!!! no residue, my scalp is improving, and my hair feels nicely balanced.

so if you have horrible hard water like i do and have had issues in the past with the bars just remember to use ALOT of soap during your wash and you'll be golden:)

p.s.- did anyone try the new sandalwood or cedar shampoo bars yet? i'm curious how they smell and i want to buy more soap:)

updated by @heather: 01/13/15 09:48:22PM
KnotLady
@knotlady
11 years ago
300 posts

i noticed that rubbing the baar on the head makes some awesome knots to

☮ soaring eagle ॐ
@soaring-eagle
11 years ago
29,640 posts

i used the sage/cedar/sweetgrass only once to test it (loved it) then used the sandlwood tonkabean and been using that for awhile going back to sage/cedar/sweetgrass whhen its done

--
My new book Ban The Taboo Vol 1
Tim5
@tim5
11 years ago
359 posts

I have always rubbed the bar on my hair all around and have always had heaps of lather, and it washes out quickly. I have the sandalwood on the way, cant wait. I'm like an excited child, because of shampoo!!! What have I become????

peace and blessings

Heather
@heather
11 years ago
1,291 posts

That's the one i was going to get. I love sandalwood. I'm hoping it isn't too masculine though.

Tim said:

I have always rubbed the bar on my hair all around and have always had heaps of lather, and it washes out quickly. I have the sandalwood on the way, cant wait. I'm like an excited child, because of shampoo!!! What have I become????

peace and blessings

Tim5
@tim5
11 years ago
359 posts

I don't think it will be, I think the tonka bean has a hint of vanilla, so that should kind of tame the sandal a bit.

:)

Heather said:

That's the one i was going to get. I love sandalwood. I'm hoping it isn't too masculine though.

Tim said:

peace and blessings

Reppyboyo
@reppyboyo
11 years ago
26 posts

I always wet my hair first, wet the bar a little then swirl it all over my head.
Put the bar aside and massage it all into my scalp and dreads. Leave it in whilst I wash the rest of myself (so about 5-10 mins) then rinse out thoroughly.

Never had a problem with residue. :)

Heather
@heather
11 years ago
1,291 posts

lucky you. unfortunately i have the worst hard water and haven't had the best luck with a lot of washing methods. I'm really glad I'm able to use these bars now.

Reppyboyo said:

I always wet my hair first, wet the bar a little then swirl it all over my head.
Put the bar aside and massage it all into my scalp and dreads. Leave it in whilst I wash the rest of myself (so about 5-10 mins) then rinse out thoroughly.

Never had a problem with residue. :)

Heather
@heather
11 years ago
1,291 posts

i ended up ordering the sandalwood one:) i also decided to get the new sea salt spray too.

Tim said:

I don't think it will be, I think the tonka bean has a hint of vanilla, so that should kind of tame the sandal a bit.

:)

Heather said:

Tim said:

peace and blessings

Dislike 0

Tags

comments powered by Disqus
privacy policy Contact Form