Like this page? Then share it!
dreadlocks shampoo
Dreadlocks Forums

Dr. Bronner's Magic Soap: Oily residue?

Faelwynn
@faelwynn
15 years ago
362 posts
living in FL will cause the water to be considerably softer than CA water regardless of where it is exactly that you live (trust me, Northern Alabama native... I miss my soft/neutral water). I still say that it's the water + concentration of the bronner's that leaves the residue. Iain said:
I've been using the same Bronners for a few months now *peppermint but i added a few drops of tea tree to mine* and haven't had anything like what you are describing anywhere,

I live on city here in Fl oh but mine wasn't bar, it was liquid.

updated by @faelwynn: 07/23/15 03:23:28AM
Faelwynn
@faelwynn
15 years ago
362 posts
Alright, so after a shower and letting my dreads dry a good bit, I have no nasty stuff on my dreads or on my loose little stray hairs. Which leads me to believe that it's the concentration of the soap + the extremely hard water. My suggestion is to go with the baking soda wash until you get a bar of bronner's if you still want to use the soap at all. Personally, I think all of the bronner's products are awesome even if you're just using them to wash your body and mop the floors (as it does a kick ass job of cleaning floors... but again you have to make sure the concentration is right, otherwise you end up with waxy, grimy feeling floors). With that said, for residents of California that are having problems with the liquid, I'd use the bar soap instead.
Ryan Emmel
@ryan-emmel
15 years ago
85 posts
Just an update: I washed the second time and had no problem. i suspect my first use either helped loosen old residue, and I failed to rinse thoroughly, or I just failed to rinse thoroughly.I'll continue to update on my soap adventures.
Faelwynn
@faelwynn
15 years ago
362 posts
see, everytime I use the liquid I still get that filmy feeling...regardless how much I dilute, and how much I rinse. It seems like the bar did really well though! I'll end up washing my dreads again though, seeing as my new peppermint vanilla soaps are supposed to get here today! Ryan Emmel said:
Just an update: I washed the second time and had no problem. i suspect my first use either helped loosen old residue, and I failed to rinse thoroughly, or I just failed to rinse thoroughly.

I'll continue to update on my soap adventures.
Iain
@iain
15 years ago
844 posts
lolsoap adventures :P
Faelwynn
@faelwynn
15 years ago
362 posts
I freaking love soap ^-^
labmofgod
@labmofgod
15 years ago
94 posts
i have been using bronners for like 2 years now and i have never had any problems with residue or slimy oily hair with my use of bronners... and is it really nessisary to diluted it because i have never ever done that just always used like a single drop or 2 at a time
Boobie
@boobie
15 years ago
37 posts
so i went out and bought some peppermint (liquid) Dr. Bronner's and tried it for the first time. I diluted it pretty well and washed my hair (no dreads yet). it was weird because my hair didnt feel clean until i dried it. after it was dry it felt extremely clean and smelled really good too. its the second week of washing with Dr. Bronner's liquid soap and still no problems with oily or nasty oils in my hair. i live in Tennessee so the water here is different from California. and i dnt know if it matters but maybe its the thickness of your loose hair mixed with the water type & or the dilution of the soap. my hair is really, really thick so I could go like a week or so before it gets nasty.... idk if that means anything to you but i hope i helped a little.
Faelwynn
@faelwynn
15 years ago
362 posts
As stated before, california's hard water does crazy things to anything you use it in. I just wish I was back in Northern Alabama for the water there. Boobie said:
so i went out and bought some peppermint (liquid) Dr. Bronner's and tried it for the first time. I diluted it pretty well and washed my hair (no dreads yet). it was weird because my hair didnt feel clean until i dried it. after it was dry it felt extremely clean and smelled really good too. its the second week of washing with Dr. Bronner's liquid soap and still no problems with oily or nasty oils in my hair. i live in Tennessee so the water here is different from California. and i dnt know if it matters but maybe its the thickness of your loose hair mixed with the water type & or the dilution of the soap. my hair is really, really thick so I could go like a week or so before it gets nasty.... idk if that means anything to you but i hope i helped a little.
Ryan Emmel
@ryan-emmel
14 years ago
85 posts
Just an update: I haven't moved out of California, but I haven't seen any recurring problems with residue either. I suspect the first residue problem was a reaction between old residue from my straight-haired days along with accumulated scalp oils and California water. I'm about a month into my Bronner's and baking soda regimen, and I feel no build-up.

/ 4

Dislike 0

Tags

comments powered by Disqus
privacy policy Contact Form