Like this page? Then share it!
dreadlocks shampoo
Dreadlocks Forums

Dr. Bronner's Magic Soap: Oily residue?

Ryan Emmel
@ryan-emmel
15 years ago
85 posts
Okay, so i washed my hair last night with Bronner's, and tonight my girlfriend noticed that my undreaded hair was gunky and gross. We ran a brush through it, and the bristles picked up some serious white residue. I used a fairly dilute mix of bronners, and I think I probably wash my hair too much, so it wasn't weekly buildup... This was also my first use of Bronner's.Bronner's contains lots of oils. Is that stuff sticking to my hair? Is the organic oil itself the residue? I rinsed pretty well.Anyway, I tried it again tonight because I needed to not have disgusting gunky hair. We'll see if it's the same tomorrow.Anybody have similar experiences? Advice?
updated by @ryan-emmel: 02/14/15 05:31:17AM
Ivan
@ivan
15 years ago
88 posts
i hadn't washed mine in about 3 and a half weeks before using bronner's bar soap (peppermint) and it turned out fine for me. i didn't want to use the liquid just because i'm too lazy to dilute 12 to 1 as soaringeagle has suggested, but maybe you just didn't dilute enough. my hair washed out completely after 3 and a half weeks with all the sweat and lint and the 3 days worth of hairspray that it contained and it's dreading up nicely and it's stayed pretty clean and not oily.
☮ soaring eagle ॐ
@soaring-eagle
15 years ago
29,640 posts
its 1 of 2 thingsmost likely your watersome warert types ( i forget if its hard or soft) wont rince it out well at all, but that will be the same wiith all true soaps, only detergents will rince wellor its from your scalp, bronners oils shouldnt leave a pasty like scum, it maybe your scalp readjusting and causing crusty buildupwhich bronners did u use/?

--
My new book Ban The Taboo Vol 1
Ryan Emmel
@ryan-emmel
15 years ago
85 posts
I used the tea tree liquid. I'm willing to give this stuff a fair chance, but if it's leaving crap in my straight hair, I don't want to think what it's doing to the knotted hair.
☮ soaring eagle ॐ
@soaring-eagle
15 years ago
29,640 posts
try diluting more..the stuffs super concentrated and works well even when so diluted it wont lather at alland it lathers very well even beyond 20-1you can also try ruling out the water as the cause by showering somewjere else or at least trying to rince with water from a far off sourceif it is the water adding a lil (spoonfull or 2) borax to the b ottle should solve the prob

--
Faelwynn
@faelwynn
15 years ago
362 posts
I had the same experience regardless of the dilution rate with the liquid... I always got this nasty oily/greasy/film like feeling on my dreaded hair. If you're in CA, chances are it's the water. The hard water here is just god(and or goddess) awful....so hard that it doesn't even read correctly on an aquarium water test strip. Now, I do have a bar of the Dr. Bronner's tea tree soap, and that might be dilute to the extent that it'd work... I'd have to try it to know for sure though. Perhaps I'll try that tonight and see what happens. I ordered some dreadlock soap from a wonderful woman on artfire.com, and I'll need to wash my dreads again before it gets here (sadly...I was hoping that it'd get here sooner...) so now is the best time to try. I can update later tonight and tell you if the bar soap works any better.PS: in case you're curious, the stuff is all natural, 100% vegan and is scented with tons of different scents... I ordered the peppermint vanilla for myself and the dragon's blood for my mate, even though I haven't been able to convince him to dread yet. Just search artfire.com for dreadlock soap. Her's is the only listing up. Plus, she gets kudos for actually creating a soap for HER dreads and then selling it to the dready public.
☮ soaring eagle ॐ
@soaring-eagle
15 years ago
29,640 posts
yup hes cali so it is the water..all u gotta do is move

--
Faelwynn
@faelwynn
15 years ago
362 posts
we'll see how my bar soap experiment goes... because that could save him a lot of hassle. soaringeagle said:
☮ soaring eagle ॐ
@soaring-eagle
15 years ago
29,640 posts
and moving outta cali can save him lotsa moneyso damn exspensive there Faelwynn said:
we'll see how my bar soap experiment goes... because that could save him a lot of hassle.

soaringeagle said:

--
Iain
@iain
15 years ago
844 posts
I've been using the same Bronners for a few months now *peppermint but i added a few drops of tea tree to mine* and haven't had anything like what you are describing anywhere,I live on city here in Fl oh but mine wasn't bar, it was liquid.
 / 4

Dislike 0

Tags

comments powered by Disqus
privacy policy Contact Form