Like this page? Then share it!
dreadlocks shampoo
Dreadlocks Forums

The TRUTH about dread wax and crochet tools (at least for me)

Stephen Wagner
@stephen-wagner
12 years ago
4 posts

Let me start by saying crochet hooks arent good for the hair, at least not your typical crochet hook. They arent meant for hair, theyre meant for crocheting. HOWEVER, i did order the lock sculpta from Dreadhead HQ, which is specifically built for dreads. I have yet to think of any complaints whatsoever for this tool, and it has truly helped me immensely. I know of other people as well who have had their dreads for years, used the lock sculpta all the while, and their dreads look fantastic. Some people seem to havnt had as good of experiences with their dreads when it comes to this tool, and i can only respond with "it must not be for everyone"

Alright, my second point to get to on this is ive been on this site many times, and seen quite a bit of usable info. However, there is a flood of No-wax people on here as well, and i must say i disagree.

Granted, if you use candle wax or something with petroleum in it, your going to have problems, and probably destroy your dreads.

I had however done my homework thoroughly before starting my dreads, and decided to go with the wax (simply because i have a job, its faster, and i require a neat and clean look)
In all honesty, ive yet to find actual research or true, properly tested study on the harm of quality wax (without petroleum and such) And it seemed to me that it contained a good amount of minerals and other things that kept it healthy and moisturizing.

I got the DreadheadHQ wax and used it thoroughly the first night, and i did use too much wax. I was inexperienced, so this is expected. i washed it out the next week and it seemed to come out perfectly (as long as i followed the directions given by Johnny Clean for washing them out)
If done properly, it melts right out in the shower without problem.

I later re-waxed them along with my maintenance the next week, using the proper amount, and towards the 3rd week my dreads were tight enough to discontinue wax usage. It helped me hugely and to this day i constantly get complements from dreadheads and hair stylists alike who are shocked at the level of tightness i have achieved in just 2 months of having dreads.
My conclusion is that, if used properly, dreadwax can be extremely beneficial for holding in the knots white your hair is getting used to being locked up.

MY ONE HONEST COMPLAINT
I did have one single dread that i had to start over, because (and this was my own fault) i had used too much wax in the beginning on the dread, and was much too aggressive with the crochet hook (a regular crochet hook, not the lock sculpta)
I combed it out, removed the slightly damaged hair (damaged due to my own mistake and incorrect usage of the product), and redreaded it with the lock sculpta. I have been using much aloe and its already starting to get good and tight.

And so i finish with this.
I never came here to have an argument, because some people will simply never be convinced, and thats okay. We all have our own preferences, and theres nothing wrong with that!
I am simply sharing my own experience with dreadhead HQ wax and their locking tool, and have had a very successful time with it.
(i may also add i have no traceable amounts of wax left in my hair that i know of. Even after combing out that one dread, it was just as clean and smooth as before i dreaded)
I hope this was helpful for anyone interested in getting dreadlocks, or if you decide to go no-wax, and have the time and patience to wait a few extra months, thats perfectly alright! Thanks for reading and peace to all dread heads out there

updated by @stephen-wagner: 01/22/20 09:33:16AM
☮ soaring eagle ॐ
@soaring-eagle
12 years ago
29,639 posts

the truth is ..a blank emptiness?

the truth is wax creates the illusu[=ion that its helping (like the illusion of you typing) crochet causes extreme destruction

both are completely ruining your dreads

--
My new book Ban The Taboo Vol 1
☮ soaring eagle ॐ
@soaring-eagle
12 years ago
29,639 posts

dude your being fooled by a scam artist they look tight but thats cause your hardening them in wax and crocheting that will not speed up but slow down even prevent progress completely wax does not wash out..at all its in there and will cause trouble for years even decades this is proven and even jonny clean admits that it dont wash out and once u use it u get no more knots after day 1 your only compressing loose knots ion hardening wax

you are ruining your dreads

look at jonny clean in 1 vid he pulls a whole dread inside another dread root to tip

why is there room inside a dread for a whole dread when i cant fit 1 hair through mine?

because after 6 years hoes are still not dreaded

wax is well known to prevent dreading for over 5 years

and a metal rods a metal rod its going to break hairs no matter how its designed

your allowing yourself to fall for a scam and your only 2 months in and already ruined your dreads

--
☮ soaring eagle ॐ
@soaring-eagle
12 years ago
29,639 posts

oh and hairdressers opinions on dreads are completely unreliable they do everything 19000% wrong just like you are so ofcourse they will say that

--
☮ soaring eagle ॐ
@soaring-eagle
12 years ago
29,639 posts

now if you want to save your dreads so they survive

u must follow these instructions

throw away the hook imedietly thats extremely destructive tho u wont see them falling off for quite awhile thet will if yiu keep poking holes and breaking hairs

next start agressive wax removeal use the wax b gone and keep using it long long long after u thingk its all gone

--
Ixchel
@ixchel
12 years ago
597 posts

they may look tight but it's because the wax is sticking them & hardening them together, that's not actually firmness that comes from knotted maturity.

& that tool is still not something actually made for dreads, it's a rug hook. it may cause less damage than the crochet hooks but you are still forcing something through a lock breaking some hairs (less perhaps, but i'd prefer to break none) trying to control a frizz that would have taken care of itself if given the chance.

you may not be seeing the effects of the damageimmediately. that's their point, they may look acceptable short term but long term you damage your locks & make it very difficult to keep them when they are weak & damaged. you are only 2 months in, yeah they may look okay for 2 months, but several months from now you will see the effects of the damage you've done, it would be best to stop & fix that now before you run into the real issues.

☮ soaring eagle ॐ
@soaring-eagle
12 years ago
29,639 posts

ok heres some dreads they were waxed twice in the 1st couple weeks 1/4 as miuch as recomended

thats what dreads with wax look like on the inside
even when they look like this outside

now look at the last 1 that was AFTER not before it was split in 1/2 it split in 1/2 with fingers only after 4 years of washing and no wax use

it was just glued together not at all dreaded

but the wax that was in there still was enough to palm roll one time and glue it right back together so it looked like a perfect tight dread

thats the scam..get it? it foolds you into thinking thaey are edreaded but only toime dreads dreads

they have to be loose and free of gunk to move and knot

why do u have to crochet? hmm? why pakm rill? hmm? becvause wax will prevent any progress at akl

but when u cram haior and wax together ui create an illusion of dreading

its a scam and you are a victim

--

updated by @soaring-eagle: 02/05/15 10:12:49AM
☮ soaring eagle ॐ
@soaring-eagle
12 years ago
29,639 posts

oh and the truth is they dread way way faster wax d0free..without needing to work on them at all

way faster

we have had 1 girl waxed the 1st month then 5 years went by..the ends where wax was used never dreaded at all

so she combed out the ends removed the wazx..and in 1 week it dreaded more then 5 years of waxiness

thats the truth

your dreads will never truly dread till u stop it all and remove all traces of wax

--
Stephen Wagner
@stephen-wagner
12 years ago
4 posts
I guess my opinion isn't accepted, and there can only be one point of view?As I've said before, there are many people I know who have used the same tactics, and have had their dreads for years with much success. How do you explain their dread not falling off.Also, how does my new growth continue to tighten as well as the rest of the dread, when I'm not longer using wax? It certainly can't be wax "hardening" because if it was hard, it wouldn't be spreading through the dread. And finally, why wasn't there any of this horrible picture evidence your showing me in my own dread after combing it out? I have next to no wax in my hair, and my methods are doing well for me.Im hardly even using the hook anymore because it is doing its own dreading and I seldom get loose hair.I only ask that you respect my opinion, and don't instruct me to throw my hook out and start over. If you are indeed right, I'm willing to accept the consequences. I will come back here in my first year and give a full update and report. They're either be doing just as great, or fallen off (although I don't see that happening) lets hope when I come back I won't still be bombarded with comments against my methods.I only meant to make a post showing a successful wax experience, as there are many others who have found the same results. Thank you
☮ soaring eagle ॐ
@soaring-eagle
12 years ago
29,639 posts

3 years ago i opffered a wax free guarantee anyone who remobbed wax then still thought wax was a better way to dread i would buy them wax..i took thr risk of maybe having to but 100000000 jars of wax we have had a million visitors to the site and not 1 person ever wanted wax after removing wax..

that should tell u the truth

remove the wax..stop poking holes in them..and see for yourself

but

warning..all the progress u thought u made will go away slowly 6 months from now they will seem 3 weeks old only 9 months from now will they be progressing normaly

u screwed yourself badly unfortunately but they can be saved

they have to be loosened up wax removed then left alone

--
 / 4

Dislike 1

Tags

comments powered by Disqus
privacy policy Contact Form