Dreadlocks Forums

Sea salt solution

Ixchel
@ixchel
12 years ago
597 posts

thanks for that great break down

Baba Fats said:

In that hour it dries your hair out just enough. Salt draws water and moisture out of your hair. But if you leave it in too long it'll draw moisture out of your scalp as well. and if you leave it in continuously, it'll just keep drying out your scalp until it starts to itchuncontrollably. Salt doesn'tdissolve in oil. So the oil that your scalp produces wont dissolve the salt. it'll just stay there until you wash it next. This will make your hair brittle and your scalp raw.

That hour or 2 draws enough moisture out of your hair to dry it out enough to make it more ready to tangle without damaging it.

updated by @ixchel: 07/23/15 05:23:16AM
Baba Fats
@baba-fats
12 years ago
2,702 posts

lol. I tried to say it as non scientifically as I could

☮ soaring eagle ॐ
@soaring-eagle
12 years ago
29,640 posts

not to mention that salt eats holes in cars..steel if you over use it your scalp can be a disaster

--
My new book Ban The Taboo Vol 1
Baba Fats
@baba-fats
12 years ago
2,702 posts

That's a slightly different type of reaction. But the concept is there. Salt on metal is a redox reaction. salt and water is an osmotic reaction

Brooke Weber
@brooke-weber
12 years ago
7 posts

I like to add a little to the BS/ACV rinse, it seems gentler and it does its work in the 10 minutes I leave the rinse in. Then, when I rinse, it doesn't continue to dry out everything. :)

Baba Fats
@baba-fats
12 years ago
2,702 posts

That seems to be what most people do. When I use it in a spray before I wash, I always rinse well before I even pour the BS mix on my hair.

I only let it sit a little long cause I'm trying to coax a few new babies along. I want them to look a little more like locks by the end of June. Normally I wouldn't even care how frizzy I am

k money
@k-money
12 years ago
114 posts

is there anything good that comes from leaving the salt in your hair for a couple days? wont the extra friction from the salt help dread?

Baba Fats
@baba-fats
12 years ago
2,702 posts

It'll help dry. But after a few hours it starts to make your hair brittle. Sure it'll kink easier and knot up, but it'll also break easier at those points. And if you do this continuously, you really do run the risk of hair breaking off in larger chunks.
It's just not worth the risk

☮ soaring eagle ॐ
@soaring-eagle
12 years ago
29,640 posts

good/ if you concider dry itchy flaky scalp good if you like your hair to be brittle and damaged and falling off

friction? frictions got nothing to do with it .. ll leaving it on for days will d=o is run the risk of hairt breaking off from being too dry and brittle ..just like over bleaching wikl do

and yiur scalp will be an itchy dry flaky mess

k money said:

is there anything good that comes from leaving the salt in your hair for a couple days? wont the extra friction from the salt help dread?

--
My new book Ban The Taboo Vol 1
k money
@k-money
12 years ago
114 posts

i thought that it was all about friction. the grains of the hair running outward make it easier for hair to slip back and become matted than to slip free, when there isnt residue or anything

/ 3

Dislike 0

Tags

comments powered by Disqus
privacy policy Contact Form