Like this page? Then share it!
dreadlocks shampoo
Dreadlocks Forums

Essential Oils & Pregnancy

Ixchel
@ixchel
12 years ago
597 posts
There are somecompoundsin certain essential oils that have hormone-like behavior because of their molecular structure and although there is no conclusive evidence on the effect of estrogenic oils it would be prudent to avoid anethole rich oils, likefennelandaniseedduring pregnancy.

Although some oils are listed asabortifacientoils, it is mainly due to theirtoxicnature, and should in any case not be used in aromatherapy massage at any time.

Some essential oils are however not toxic, but haveemmenagogueaction, which is to help to promote and regulate the menstrual flow (periods), and should be avoided during pregnancy.

Here is a list of essential oils to AVOID during pregnancy:

Almond - bitter

Aniseed

Anethole rich

Angelica

Basil

Birch

Black pepper

Boldo leaf

Buchu

Calamus

Toxic

Camphor

Cassia

Cedarwood

Chamomile

Cinnamon

Clary sage

Clove

Elecampane

Fennel

Fir

Ginger

Horseradish

Hyssop

Jaborandi leaf

Jasmine

Juniper

Lemon

Lemongrass

Marjoram

Melissa

Mugwort

Mustard

Myrrh

Nutmeg

Oregano

Parsley seed

Pennyroyal

Peppermint

Pine

Rose

Rosemary

Rue

Sage

Sassafras

Savin

Savory

Southernwood

Stinging nettle

Tansy

Thuja

Thyme both Red and Linalol)

Wintergreen

Wormseed

Wormwood

-I'm researching this list because I'm not sure if the source is credible, but it's a starting point. If you have input awesome, fill me in :)

found where the person who i got it from found it http://www.essentialoils.co.za/pregnancy.htm

updated by @ixchel: 02/14/15 03:26:33AM
☮ soaring eagle ॐ
@soaring-eagle
12 years ago
29,640 posts

i know penyroyal is used as an herbal abortion so that is 1 i am definately sure you should avoid

--
My new book Ban The Taboo Vol 1
Mechell Arant
@mechell-arant
12 years ago
56 posts

Excellent idea for a topic! I never knew chammomile could be a problem...learn something everyday...

Ixchel
@ixchel
12 years ago
597 posts

not really my idea, someone had asked about it & I was checking into it, then i came across it by accident anyways but couldn't remember who had asked!

great information to have tho

Mechell Arant said:

Excellent idea for a topic! I never knew chammomile could be a problem...learn something everyday...

Australe
@australe
12 years ago
60 posts

I think is a great idea for a thread, but I'm also don't completely agree with this list or just putting them down without an explaination of WHY they should be avoided. Some of them can be avoided for a very specific reason and when used in smaller quantities are perfectly harmless. And also NO essential oils should ever be used undiluted by anyone, much less a pregnant woman. I know specifically there were a couple things on that list that our local herbalist does use and everything she carries is safe for pregnant and nursing mothers.
The main thing is to be thoughtful of what your putting into your body, everyone has their own sensitivities because we are all different :) I look forward to seeing how this turns out. I kn

Ixchel
@ixchel
12 years ago
597 posts
On the source page it does have some more info about the whys. & it is a place to start, can always go googling each one lol

Australe said:

I think is a great idea for a thread, but I'm also don't completely agree with this list or just putting them down without an explaination of WHY they should be avoided. Some of them can be avoided for a very specific reason and when used in smaller quantities are perfectly harmless. And also NO essential oils should ever be used undiluted by anyone, much less a pregnant woman. I know specifically there were a couple things on that list that our local herbalist does use and everything she carries is safe for pregnant and nursing mothers.
The main thing is to be thoughtful of what your putting into your body, everyone has their own sensitivities because we are all different :) I look forward to seeing how this turns out. I kn

Star Gryphon
@star-gryphon
12 years ago
190 posts

Wow! I never thought that some essential oils needed to be avoided during pregnancy. By scanning this list it appears that all the most popular oils are on it...

¯\_(ツ)_/¯  † 
@¯\_-ツ-_-¯-†-
11 years ago
6 posts

I am glad you posted this. I had no idea some of these were even bad during pregnancy because they are so common.

Don J
@don-j
11 years ago
11 posts

Most of this if from smells though, the mother is their to filter out most of the harmful things that are absorbed and her liver filters the blood before it and during pregnancy. Most oils that we use are diluted and not stronger then we can handle... We have all done TOO much peppermint and I can see that being a problem, but can't see 1 drop of peppermint to 1 liter of water being that bad...

How I see this being a BIG issue is allergies, you can't filter what you ingest and breath...

Personal example: I have allergies to pork, my mother never did before and once pregnant she started getting sick every time it was cooked. She washospitalized each time. After I was born she's better with it but still keeps it in mind and I get violently sick when around cooking pork or eating it.

Bothers girlfriend did not eat peanuts , drank soy milk once and could not stop... her kid was servilelylactose intolerant and allergic to peanuts. To the point of trial treatments and its still going on...

Any female going through pregnancy should try to be them self and expose them self's to as many things as they can SAFELY as it will help build an immune system. Avoiding everything that has made a person sick will only create a bubble boy...

just my thought, back to looking up oils lmao

MothyrGrimm
@mothyrgrimm
11 years ago
27 posts

Eek! Now I'm super paranoid. I just bought (like ten minutes ago) the Goddess Shampoo Bar and Karma Magic Locking Gel...

The Locking Gel has, pine & lemongrass. The Shampoo Bar doesn't have a list of the essential oils. :/

This totally sucks. I knew some were off limits, but I didn't know there was THAT many. Any clue how to find out what's in the Goddess Bar?

/ 2

Dislike 0

Tags

comments powered by Disqus
privacy policy Contact Form