Like this page? Then share it!
Dreadlocks Site Highly Recommends dreadlockshampoo.com
Dreadlocks Forums

dreadheadhq called rippoff and scam

hippiegal
@hippiegal
5 years ago
184 posts

You're right, Whip, we should be responsible and check before buying. But people who are desperately keen to have dreads may easily come to believe that DHHQ etc is the only way to go. Not because they are stupid but because there is so little other information out there. Before starting, every time I searched for dreadlocks info, all I got was these commercial sites. It was by chance through a YouTube vid that I came across this one, and glad I did.

SE, your misspellings don't worry me one bit, nor the appearance of this site. The only thing I don't like about this site is the continual focus on Jonny. Yes, I agree with you about wax, crochet etc, It's a rip-off and it ruins people's dreads. But after setting out these facts, can weplease focus on the good news that we don't need these sort of products, period. And that natural dreading is fun, and is good for our spirit and for the world. And work on exposure, getting this info right out there, so more would-be dreddies find us before DHHQ finds them. Shine a light rather than point a finger.

Shalom.

Whip Thehooper said:

I do think it's a scam. That said, so are most mainstream hair products. All full of crap and bad for your hair. So they are just doing a similar thing but catered to dreads. It's evil, sure. And people should be able to speak their mind about it, absolutely. But I still think they have the right to exist and sell whatever they want and if people are dumb enough to buy into it, more power to their evil scam.

We have to do our own research and protect ourselves. It only took about twenty minutes of reading before I figured out that crap like wax is bad for dreads. Then I watched that dude's video and as soon as I heard him recommend wax I knew he was no one to be trusted.

If people would just think for themselves, they'd have no one else to blame. You shouldn't rush into something like dreads without spending plenty of time thinking about it first, anyway.

updated by @hippiegal: 07/22/15 01:41:09PM
Circle Dancer
@circle-dancer
5 years ago
121 posts

Yeah, didn't mean to be offensive by calling noobs stupid, I mean it more in general not as an assessment of anyone in particular. Just get annoyed when people don't do their research.

The good news is this site, and these threads are definitely coming up on google now. I found this site through a google search I believe. So this thread and these opinions are out there for everyone to find pretty easily if they seek. :)

hippiegal
@hippiegal
5 years ago
184 posts

This is good news indeed, and just what I meant. :)

Whip Thehooper said:

The good news is this site, and these threads are definitely coming up on google now. I found this site through a google search I believe. So this thread and these opinions are out there for everyone to find pretty easily if they seek. :)

Erin2
@erin2
5 years ago
29 posts

To be honest, I found this site through the google search "dreadlock forum" because I wanted suggestions about making my own shampoo, or where to buy a better one locally. I found DHHQ several months back (before I found this one) searching for "dreadlock shampoo" and figured it would be a legit purpose because you don't think someone with dreads is sitting at the helm of this huge, evil corporation. It just seems so contradictory. So it doesn't really cross your mind. It's hard to know who to trust on the internet.

I like to think I'm an intelligent person and I do a lot of research, more than most people would I think. But I ended up buying into the wax trap. I'd neverheard orread anything different.There are always times people get screwed over by misinformation, even when they think they're being offered information from a reliable source. The lesson I learned in all of this is to look at the motive behind the source. Are they trying to sell you something or not?

hippiegal
@hippiegal
5 years ago
184 posts

It can be hard to read motives when, as you said, you believe certain sort of people will be genuine and aren't just out to make a buck. Our whole society runs on the quest of making a buck, sadly. People get ripped off all the time about a lot of things, not just in regard to dreadlocks. I found the DHHQ site early on too, though didn't get to buying their stuff. I put off getting dreads because I wasn't sure, till I found this site. But I know how easy it is to buy in to their hype and their products.

If getting dreads is a learning experience, maybe this is lesson number one. The best and most real things in life are free. :)

Erin said:

To be honest, I found this site through the google search "dreadlock forum" because I wanted suggestions about making my own shampoo, or where to buy a better one locally. I found DHHQ several months back (before I found this one) searching for "dreadlock shampoo" and figured it would be a legit purpose because you don't think someone with dreads is sitting at the helm of this huge, evil corporation. It just seems so contradictory. So it doesn't really cross your mind. It's hard to know who to trust on the internet.

I like to think I'm an intelligent person and I do a lot of research, more than most people would I think. But I ended up buying into the wax trap. I'd neverheard orread anything different.There are always times people get screwed over by misinformation, even when they think they're being offered information from a reliable source. The lesson I learned in all of this is to look at the motive behind the source. Are they trying to sell you something or not?

Erin2
@erin2
5 years ago
29 posts

Very true, hippiegal. :)

Circle Dancer
@circle-dancer
5 years ago
121 posts

Yeah, and when you think of all the stuff the big corporations do to make money (all the completely evil, destroy the environment, torturing foreign workers in giant factories, sort of stuff) is it really that surprising that someone would be willing to get dreadlocks in order to trick people?

Not even saying he's "evil" I mean I don't know the guy. Just saying, people are sure willing to do a lot worse things to make money so getting dreadlocks to win over the dread crowd wouldn't be surprising.

hippiegal
@hippiegal
5 years ago
184 posts

You are so right. When something comes to represent an anti-corporate stance (eg dreadlocks) Big Corp will try to co-opt it, not just to make money from it, but also to weaken or discredit it. This happened to both the hippie and punk movement. Big Corp tamed it by making it fashion, putting it on ritzy magazine covers, and giving it to the masses with factory-made clothes. The way I see it, uncovering DHHQ is not just about protecting people's dreads from its products, but also about protecting the stance that dreads represent. To me, it's not about whether this guy is evil or not (I don't know him either) but what he's selling fits in well with Big Corp's agenda.

People who want dreads just to be 'cool' will go for products and salons that promise instant and 'tidy' dreads. They'll end up with shit dreads which they'll soon get rid off, and head for the next 'cool' thing. But sadly, a lot of people who want dreads for deeper reasons will get sucked in too.

☮ soaring eagle ॐ
@soaring-eagle
5 years ago
27,886 posts

sucked in ..then discouraged

i cant tell you how many times i hear stuff like

"i wanted dreads fior 10 years so i bought a kit 3 months later i was sick and tired of how much work they took and all the sticky products i will never dread again"

or something simular

dhhq chas made many dreads who wanted dreads all tgheir lives decide dreads wernt wortyh the hassle

luckily many find us and realize dreadings not that complicated and not that exopensive

--
Creator and head dreadhead at:
Dreadlocks Site
Glider pilot student at:
Freedoms wings international
Circle Dancer
@circle-dancer
5 years ago
121 posts

Yeah, I heard the other day of someone spending close to five hundred dollars at a salon to get instant dreads.... I can't even imagine spending that for something you could have for free.

/ 3

Dislike 0

Share This

Tags

comments powered by Disqus
Contact Form