Like this page? Then share it!
dreadlocks shampoo
Dreadlocks Forums

reasons not to use a dread kit from those whove used a dreadkit

Erin2
@erin2
12 years ago
29 posts

Luckily I didn't start my dreads with a kit, but I did end up buying wax, shampoo, accelerator, lock peppa and a couple tools which never seemed to work (loose hair tool and the lock docta which I realize now is just a felting needle with a handle!). It was tedious work keeping up with all the maintenance, and I was shocked that they were charging so much. I wanted a cheaper alternative. I always like to make or do things myself and save money so I found this site.

Wow! I see that everything I spent so much money on was completely unnecessary, damaging and is now sitting in my bathroom cupboard, waiting to be burned in a bonfire this spring. At first I liked the Lock Peppa the best because it really seemed to work the few times I used it, but then I'd wash it out and it would go back to the way it was before I applied it. Johnny Clean says "if you don't get the results you want, you must be doing it wrong!! Keep piling junk on there!". Oh boy. I'm sorry I fell into that trap, but luckily I had my dreads for several months so they had a chance to dread up before I loaded them with products.

I also didn't know interlocking was bad, or that backcombing was bad. I stopped doing these things and I'm waiting for my hair to grow out now so the loops I caused with interlocking will hopefully heal or grow together at some point.

I set to getting rid of the wax first. I did several washes with Dawn dish soap, baking soda and vinegar and they are finally clean and free of that junk.

I only use baking soda, vinegar and essential oils and my dreads have been doing GREAT in the short time I've been reading this site and using only natural products. I've learned to embrace my loose hairs and un-dreaded tips (which actually remind me of feathers in their shape), my roots that are not perfectly tight to my head (hair looks fuller now which is a plus), and my dreads are tightening up so fast now that I'm not putting goop in them anymore.

I love love love my hair and I love this site for saving it!

updated by @erin2: 07/23/15 06:36:52PM
☮ soaring eagle ॐ
@soaring-eagle
12 years ago
29,640 posts

Erin the lock peppa only create the illusion of helping but as soon as you wash it goes away. It literally does nothing. I hope you didn't use that lock docta, don't worry your dreads are going to get a lot better, now that you're not using that crap. I'm really amazed that nobody has sued them yet

Erin said:

Luckily I didn't start my dreads with a kit, but I did end up buying wax, shampoo, accelerator, lock peppa and a couple tools which never seemed to work (loose hair tool and the lock docta which I realize now is just a felting needle with a handle!). It was tedious work keeping up with all the maintenance, and I was shocked that they were charging so much. I wanted a cheaper alternative. I always like to make or do things myself and save money so I found this site.

Wow! I see that everything I spent so much money on was completely unnecessary, damaging and is now sitting in my bathroom cupboard, waiting to be burned in a bonfire this spring. At first I liked the Lock Peppa the best because it really seemed to work the few times I used it, but then I'd wash it out and it would go back to the way it was before I applied it. Johnny Clean says "if you don't get the results you want, you must be doing it wrong!! Keep piling junk on there!". Oh boy. I'm sorry I fell into that trap, but luckily I had my dreads for several months so they had a chance to dread up before I loaded them with products.

I also didn't know interlocking was bad, or that backcombing was bad. I stopped doing these things and I'm waiting for my hair to grow out now so the loops I caused with interlocking will hopefully heal or grow together at some point.

I set to getting rid of the wax first. I did several washes with Dawn dish soap, baking soda and vinegar and they are finally clean and free of that junk.

I only use baking soda, vinegar and essential oils and my dreads have been doing GREAT in the short time I've been reading this site and using only natural products. I've learned to embrace my loose hairs and un-dreaded tips (which actually remind me of feathers in their shape), my roots that are not perfectly tight to my head (hair looks fuller now which is a plus), and my dreads are tightening up so fast now that I'm not putting goop in them anymore.

I love love love my hair and I love this site for saving it!

--
My new book Ban The Taboo Vol 1
Erin2
@erin2
12 years ago
29 posts
Nope, never used the "Crock Docta"...well yeah, I did, but not on my hair. It's helpful for doing details when sculpting dread beads! Haha!I actually ordered it by mistake thinking it was the loose hair tool and I didn't want to get rid of my beautiful lumps and bumps. Those just add character and dimension I think.
☮ soaring eagle ॐ
@soaring-eagle
12 years ago
29,640 posts

they should call the loose hair tool the loose hair creation tool

--
Erin2
@erin2
12 years ago
29 posts
Yeah totally. I could never get the hang of using it. All the loose hairs kept popping back out and I grew tired of keeping up with it. Plus I didn't like how I had to assault the dreads by poking holes in them. It was hard work and all for nothing!
☮ soaring eagle ॐ
@soaring-eagle
12 years ago
29,640 posts

The things like a freaking harpoon

how can anyone believe it doesnt teat the hairs to peices,

its almost pencil thick isnt it?

--
Erin2
@erin2
12 years ago
29 posts
It's not very thick, slightly larger than a toothpick, but the hook at the end is sort of an arrow shape and tends to rip hair out when you're trying to remove it. You have to do this whole song and dance to MAYBE get the loose hairball into the dread itself but it would just pull back out of the roots when I washed it.
☮ soaring eagle ॐ
@soaring-eagle
12 years ago
29,640 posts

that must be the version 2.0 of it. The first one look the size of a pencil. It looked like a harpoon

--
DreaddyRob
@dreaddyrob
6 years ago
21 posts

Edeting missunderstood the topic i never bought or used a dreadkit but i did the mistake and useing wax of reccomendations from the saloons " they want you to to come back and redue them as often as they can to earn money so they tell you everything that is bad for your dreads health"

Well I done my dreads in a saloon twise and both times they used wax , so im done with that , never again i tell you , they wanted me to stop wash my hair in 1 mounth , and things got sticky and ichy a nightmare both for me and my hair , so to be honest even if some of the "home method really works great like Twist and rip and so on im done with all that" So thats why i decided to be patience and happy with my hair and the process of it and just let it have its own way ! I love the journey already and its only been 1 week and 2 days now since i started it the "proper way to go imo" Now adays saloon use crochet method backcombing , but when i did mine in both accations in mid - 90 (in my country sweden/ in diffrent towns) they only used 1 method and that was Backcombing , finish with Twist on Wax :S as i say never again , the wax when i was finally "allowed as the saloon commanded to wash first time after 1 mounth discusting btw" Then the wax after wash prevented the water to rince out the hair and i had alot of mold in my dreads so yeah i had cut them , the stupidity of this was this happend twise several years apart , i mean the second time in saloon was exactly the same even if i told them asked please dont use wax , but they say we have to if not they gonna loosin up due to your texture of your hair , so i cut them off 2!

Just sharing my experience with you guys so you dont have to do the mistakes that i did!

So...my advise is Enjoy your hair take care of it feel how great it is  to get them totally clean and just leave them for the awesomeness it will eventelly become , (apoligize for my bad spelling , not bein in school in a long time) xD Thanks and take care guys and you'r hair too!

DONT GO TO SALOONS EVER TO GET DREADS HEADS UP! If they use wax that is ( cant share or know any other methods in saloons are good or not cuz i only share what i experience my self thanks for listening 

--
One of my favorite band/song is Mystic Revealers - All Over The World and Musical Garden

My reggae taste of music enjoy (see my profile for link (Spotify required)
My CompleteTimeLine from day1https://imgur.com/a/TCs9dcM

updated by @dreaddyrob: 06/01/18 06:14:53AM
☮ soaring eagle ॐ
@soaring-eagle
6 years ago
29,640 posts

well said, even if english isn't your 1st language you said that very clearly.

and thats just it they insist they ave o do what you tell them not to do. and most who make 1 salon mistake may make several before learning the lessons.

--

/ 3
Dislike 0

Tags

comments powered by Disqus
privacy policy Contact Form