29,640 posts

it seems perfect to use from day 1 to me

--
My new book Ban The Taboo Vol 1
Heather
@heather
12 years ago
1,291 posts

lol! i didn't even look at what the ingredients were. thats exactly what it is! i've actually made that before when my kids were younger. it worked great at defining my sons curls and it held my daughters hair well in a ponytail. i added tea tee oil to it to prevent lice infestation too. my kids never had lice:)

i'm going to have to pick up some flax seeds and make some again:)

Angel Frye said:

So it's the gel from boiling flax seeds? I've heard of people using that as a hair pomade. You stir and simmer for up to ten minutes and then sift out the seeds. I've been reading good things about it from non-pooers. The horror stories of over boiling are hilarious. "lumpy alien space snot!" was my fave.

I wonder, though, how moisturizing this stuff is. I've got ten 'teen-agers' right now randomly all over my head(top layer of hair, naturally) so I wonder if this would be appropriate for me yet.-- or at least those really soft babies who are still indecisive.

☮ soaring eagle ॐ
@soaring-eagle
12 years ago
29,640 posts

The best way to use it, if you're going natural, is to just put a little bit near the roots and give a little twist on the way down as you wipe down

--
Butterfly
@butterfly
12 years ago
56 posts

I got mine yesterday and I'm reserving my final opinion until I use it for a few days. My initial impression isn't great but I don't really have dreads yet. I have one sort of baby dread in the very center back of my head. I obviously put the gel on that one. But I also put it on one of my "twists". My hair is more like ropes or twists that have formed, not yet locked or matted or tangled even though it's been since June since I combed. So anyway, I put it on a section that I could see clearly in the front. It dries pretty stiff like any hair gel. I've used a lot of gel in my life to spike my hair and such when it was super short.This gel could do that if you put enough on. I used it very sparingly and after it dried I pulled the section apart and it was all flaky and gunky and white. Kind of icky. Now, like I said, I don't have actual dreads and if I did, I obviously wouldn't be pulling them apart so that's why I'm unsure. Will it build up in the hair, especially hair that's matted and locked? So after I wash it I'll see how clean it gets. That's why I don't want to give a final opinion on it yet. I really, really want to love this stuff because I need my hair to lock up. It's been since June for me and I'm getting really impatient. I'd love to hear what others think.

☮ soaring eagle ॐ
@soaring-eagle
12 years ago
29,640 posts

You must used a lot to get to make it that stiff and flaky. It shouldn't be very stiff at all. If any stiffness it should just be the tiniest bit, but not really just about the hold. And a very light hold at that.

It absolutely will wash out very simply. Just a light rinse. You really only note need to dip a finger in it and wipe It on. Next time try using about a quarter as much.

--
Butterfly
@butterfly
12 years ago
56 posts

I felt like I barely used any at all. It's very expensive (for me) and I used a dot about the size of a pencil lead. It spreads really far. I will try what you said about just putting it near the roots and twisting down and see how that works.

☮ soaring eagle ॐ
@soaring-eagle
12 years ago
29,640 posts

hmm doesnt seem like alot then odd that it felt so stiff and flaky

i had to use a whole lot to see any stiffness

that jar should last you months

try it a week or so see what u think

--
Gilly's Mum
@gillys-mum
12 years ago
25 posts

So I got the gel for Gill and I know what Butterfly means. I used it for the first time and on her fine hairs it did look a bit stiff and I was worried it'd stay crunchy, but it wasnt for long.

What I DID notice, however, was today I put her hair up and wrapped a dread around to hold them. When I did that and the dread was spread a bit, it deff looked white and flakey :-/

Maybe I used too much. I'll try using less but maybe it's just not for us.

I noticed some build up on my hands and when i rubbed them together, there was some residue on them that sort of pulled up like glue would. Has that happened to anyone else or am I just using waaaaay too much?

She send me a sample of face soap too and it's super awesome! I love it and feel like I got a lil treat for me since Gilly got the gel lol

Nicholas janousek
@nicholas-janousek
12 years ago
49 posts

hmmmmmmmmm i know what im gonna get with my income tax baha :]

updated by @nicholas-janousek: 07/22/15 12:18:43PM
☮ soaring eagle ॐ
@soaring-eagle
12 years ago
29,640 posts

That's weird because I never even rinsed my hands. I felt nothing,

Gilly's Mum said:

So I got the gel for Gill and I know what Butterfly means. I used it for the first time and on her fine hairs it did look a bit stiff and I was worried it'd stay crunchy, but it wasnt for long.

What I DID notice, however, was today I put her hair up and wrapped a dread around to hold them. When I did that and the dread was spread a bit, it deff looked white and flakey :-/

Maybe I used too much. I'll try using less but maybe it's just not for us.

I noticed some build up on my hands and when i rubbed them together, there was some residue on them that sort of pulled up like glue would. Has that happened to anyone else or am I just using waaaaay too much?

She send me a sample of face soap too and it's super awesome! I love it and feel like I got a lil treat for me since Gilly got the gel lol

--

/ 12

Dislike 1

Tags

comments powered by Disqus
privacy policy Contact Form