dreadlocks shampoo
Dreadlocks Forums

essential oils for dreads and scalp health

☮ soaring eagle ॐ
@soaring-eagle
13 years ago
29,640 posts

Clary Sage supports the hair follicle.

Lavender balances skin pH and stimulates circulation.(renews cells, dandruff, hair loss, psoriasis, rashes)

Rosemary adds body and conditioning of the hair and may lighten hair. (antifungal, antibacterial, antiseptic, hair loss) stimulates the scalp.

Additional: Lemongrass (powerful antifungal)

Biotin is an important B vitamin and will assist in preventing premature graying.

Sandalwood will slow graying.

Rosewood will lighten hair. (antibacterial, antifungal, anti-infectious, soothing to the skin. Inhibits gram positive and gram negative bacterial growth, dry skin, eczema)

Geranium (helps cleanse oily skin, psoriasis)

Clary Sage (antifungal, antibacterial, dandruff, dry skin)

Sandalwood (good for dry skin)

Juniper (astringent, antiseptic) also for dermatitis, eczema.

Patchouli (antimicrobial, antiseptic,, relieves itching)

Basil (anti-bacterial and anti-inflammatory)

Ylang Ylang (promotes lustrous hair so probably considered a conditioner)

Cypress (insect repellent, skin care and can be used as a deodorant)

Tea tree oil/Melaleuca Alternifolia (antimicrobial, antiseptic, antifungal)

Cedarwood (helps to reduce oily skin, may prevent hair loss (alopecia), acne, psoriasis, skin problems)

Sage (soothes skin conditions) supports hair follicle.

Lemon (antibacterial (spores), antiseptic, and a disinfectant, cleans skin)

The acid mantle- The thin layer of oil and sweat which is secreted by glands found in our skin and hair follicles. This layer helps protect us from invading bacteria, dirt and water.
Personally, I rinse with the oils in water. You will have to mix vigorously as the oils will separate from the water. I do not rinse the oils out. I like the residue of the oils in my hair and scalp. I usually use very cool water at the end to close pores.

Dry Hair:
2 drops Ylang Ylang
8 drops Rosewood
4 drops Geranium

Oily Hair:
6 drops Patchouli
2 drops Lavender
6 drops Lemon
Dilute the oils and massage the scalp for a few minutes. You can go do some activity and come back to rinse.

Rinse to restore acid mantle of hair:
1 drop Rosemary cineol
1 tsp pure ACV
8 oz of H20
Use this as a final rinse on hair.

Dandruff:
5 drops Lemon
1 drop Rosemary cineol or Sage
1 drop Lavender
Dilute this 50:50 and massage into scalp. Leave on. Go do something. Do with your usual rinse into 1 qt/liter of water.
Other single oils for Dandruff:
Tea tree oil/Melaleuca Alternifolia
Rosemary cineol
Cedarwood

Hair Loss:
Rosemary assists hair growth.
Other oils: Lavender, Cedarwood, Sandalwood, Clary Sage.

Blends for Hair Loss:
3 drops Rosemary cineol
5 drops Lavender
4 drops Cypress
2 drops Clary Sage
2 drops Juniper
Add 10 drops of this blend to 1 tsp of Coconut oil and massage into scalp. Leave it in overnight. Or add a drop of this blend to 1 tsp of water and massage into scalp. Use at night.

Prevent Hair Loss:
10 drops Cedarwood
8 drops Rosemary cineol
10 drops Sandalwood
10 drops Lavender
Or
6 drops Rosemary cineol
8 drops Ylang Ylang
12 drops Cedarwood
12 drops Clary Sage
Dilute these blends 50:50 and massage into scalp. Leave on for a time. Rinse.

Other Oils for hair and scalp problems:
Basil
Juniper
Besides the ones that are explained.

posted by me but the info was provided by arden rayne

thank you arden for sharing your wisdom

one of the best places to find a huge assortment of essential oils is mountain rose herbs

--
My new book Ban The Taboo Vol 1

updated by @soaring-eagle: 04/03/22 10:03:43PM
Natalie Yakimo
@natalie-yakimo
13 years ago
8 posts

ok im so confused now!! so do i add the oils to the baking soda mix? you said you dont rinse out the oils? if i dont add them to the bs mix then do i add them to the rinse water? im confused

☮ soaring eagle ॐ
@soaring-eagle
13 years ago
29,640 posts

i do em in the bs normaly sometimes add em to an after rinse arden (who provided this info) recomends adding them to an after rinse only they would be more effective that way if left on

--
Natalie Yakimo
@natalie-yakimo
13 years ago
8 posts

ahhhh ok thnx :)

Arden Rayne
@arden-rayne
13 years ago
18 posts

some of them are used with a carrier oil, like the coconut oil and then to be left on and then you can rinse or shampoo out. If you are having serious hair or scalp issues, I recommend leaving the essential oils on for a while. The coconut oil would be good b/c it causes the essential oil to stay put longer than if you just usedthem diluted with water. I hope this helps too.

Castaway J
@castaway-j
13 years ago
585 posts

thank you for this SE. bookmarked.

greenblayza
@greenblayza
13 years ago
17 posts

This is awesome - so much info! Thanks!

I have a question though. I've been using the BS rinse and it's working great. My hair used to be extremely oily but it's slowly getting better...which is a huge step for me. Now, my hair is starting to feel a bit dry - no dandruff problems yet. I have fine, soft hair and it's feeling a little like it may be getting too dry (it could maybe be I'm just be that I'm not used to it either). Anyway, I don't want to start adding oils and have oily hair again, but I'm wondering if I don't add any will I have problems in the future? Just want some healthy hair :-)

I should note, that I live in a small town in Korea so getting these oils on the cheap is a little difficult (language barrier or shipping costs). I have a friend back home that will be in Korea soon so I was just going to have her pick some up for me. Any recommendations?

Castaway J
@castaway-j
13 years ago
585 posts

getting the oils from your friend would be great, for starters my recommendation would be to have tea tree, lavander (still optional), and rosemary.

if you are only doing the baking soda wash that will dry your hair, but that helps it to lock faster and if you have straight hair its a good thing. remember that today letting your hair lock and "dread" means, in two words "controlled damage".

i used to have extremely oily hair and scalp, after only one month of BS washes my scalp itches less than it ever did, with the appropriate oils as mentioned above those are all i use right now. the ammounts of oils used each time varies on my instinct and controlled experiments ;)

oh and the essential oils wont make your hair oily in the sense that you are referring to, i will however make your hair more healthy and in a way in turn slowing the process of locking down a bit, just keep that in mind. if you havereallystraight hair i wouldnt use them at all unless you had to for medicinal purposes, but thats just me.

greenblayza
@greenblayza
13 years ago
17 posts

awesome, thanks! i'll give it a go

do mix the oils with the BS or do you rinse with them?

☮ soaring eagle ॐ
@soaring-eagle
13 years ago
29,640 posts

either and esentuial oils ont make u oily unless u use like 10 times what u should

--
 / 9

Dislike 0

Tags

comments powered by Disqus
privacy policy Contact Form