i ordered more essential oils recently, got the usual 2 oz teatree 2 oz rosemary 2 oz pepermint 2 oz lavander then i read up on lemongrass and seemed like a good addition so when i called to order it i say to her i want 2 oz of lemmon balm (not lemon grass dunno why i mixed em up) and she says lemon balm only comes in 1/2 and 1/4 oz and is 165 dollars fir the 1/4 oz..i freaked till i realized i wanted lemmon grass wich was 5 bucks for 2 oz lol
anywho point is i asdded this to my baking soda mix, the lemonny scent was strong an lil overpoerring
so i did the whole wash then did an after rinse just few drops of each oil in a gallon water (nothing but the oils) poured it on then did a quick light rinse just to spread it through my hair
it smells sooo good feels really amazing
The health benefits of Lemongrass Essential Oil can be attributed to its properties like analgesic, anti depressant, anti microbial, anti pyretic, anti septic, astringent, bactericidal, carminative, deodorant, diuretic, febrifuge, fungicidal, galactogogue, insecticidal, nervine, sedative and tonic.
Essential Oil of Lemongrass is extracted with the help of steam distillation of dried Lemongrass. The Lemongrass is known by scientific names Cymbopogon Citratus or Andropogon Citratus. Main constituents of its essential oil are Myrcene, Citronellal, Geranyl Acetate, Nerol, Geraniol, Neral, Limonene and Citral. Justifying its name, the Lemongrass smells just like Lemon, but it is more mild and sweet. It is not sour to taste. This grass is used in countless beverages (including tea), desserts and other forms of culinary as a flavoring agent, where fresh lemon is not available or is not to be used. It is very much in use in Chinese and Thai recipes. It grows and spreads very fast like any other grass and fetches a good price in the market. Thus there is a lot of business involved in this.
Whats more, it comes with many medicinal properties too. Let us see what these properties are.
- Analgesic: Analgesic is a property that reduces pain and inflammation. Lemongrass Essential Oil helps relieve pain in muscles, joints, toothache and headache etc. resulting from viral infections like cough & cold, influenza, fever, pox etc. It also helps cure body pain resulting from sudden exercises, sports etc.
- Anti Depressant: Lemongrass Oil boosts self esteem, confidence, hope and mental strength, uplifts spirit and fights depression. This can be very helpful to drive away depression for those who are suffering from depression due to failure in career or love, insecurity, loneliness, stagnation, someones death or any other reason. This also relieves anxiety. Being an anti depressant, it can be systematically administered to patients of acute depression who are undergoing rehabilitation after some shock. Just take it with tea and relax.
- Anti Microbial and Anti Bacterial: This has anti microbial properties which makes it inhibit microbial and bacterial growth in the body, internally or externally. It is seen to be effective in inhibiting bacterial infections in colon, stomach, urinary tracts, wounds, respiratory system etc. and helps cure diseases resulting from bacterial or microbial infections such as typhoid, food poisoning, skin diseases, body odor, malaria (caused due to protozoon) etc.
- Anti Pyretic: An anti pyretic is an agent that brings down very high fever. This is quite similar to febrifuge but is effective on very high fever too. This oil can bring down the fever when it tends to reach the danger mark. This property of Lemongrass, which comes from its essential oils, is extensively used. It is often given with tea for this purpose.
- Anti Septic: The anti septic properties of Lemongrass Oil makes it a good application for external and internal wounds as well as an ingredient of the anti septic lotions and creams. The anti septic properties of this oil do not let the external and internal cuts and wounds go septic.
- Astringent: An astringent helps stoppage of blood flow by contraction of blood vessels. If somebody is bleeding profusely, you need an astringent to speed up clotting of blood and stop the flow to save his life. Being an astringent helps in a different way too. It promotes contraction of gums, hair follicles, muscles, skin and blood vessels, thereby preventing loosening and fall of teeth, hair fall and flow of blood through vessels. Both of these properties can be life saving. This oil has good astringent properties.
- Carminative: Lemongrass Essential Oil can efficiently handle gas trouble. It does not only help remove gas from intestine, but also stops further gas formation. Moreover, it gives the gases a safe downward passage by relaxing the muscles in the abdominal region.
- Deodorant: The Lemongrass Oil is far better than those synthetic deodorants which cost heavy on the pockets and the environment and their effects do not last longer too. Moreover, sometimes they produce irritations on skin and allergies. This oil can be a far better choice as a deodorant from these points of view. In diluted form, it serves as an efficient deodorant without any side effects. The best thing about this is that it is herbal
- Diuretic: Lemongrass Oil increases urination, both in frequency and in quantity. This may sound not that important but it can be very beneficial for health. With urine, fats are lost from the body to the extent of 4% of the volume of urine. So, it is obvious, the more you urinate, the more you lose fat. Then, urination promotes digestion and also does not let gas form. It removes excess water from the body and reduces swelling etc. Its biggest contribution is that it removes toxins from the body. Whats more, it also reduces blood pressure. That is the reason most of the drugs for lowering blood pressure induce frequent urination. Urination also helps clean kidneys.
- Febrifuge: Lemongrass Oil helps bring down fever by fighting the infections due to which the fever is caused as well as by increasing perspiration.
- Fungicidal: Lemongrass Oil has good fungicidal properties and may be used to cure fungal infections, both external and internal.
- Galactogogue: Galactogogue is a substance or an agent that increases formation of milk in the breasts. It also enhances the quality of milk. This property is very helpful for the lactating mothers and the babies. Lemongrass oil is a Galactogogue. Apart from increasing milk, it also helps babies in another way. Babies are prone to infections. The anti microbial and anti bacterial properties of Lemongrass oil are also absorbed in the milk and thus indirectly help the baby get rid of such infections.
- Insecticidal: Lemongrass is quite popular as an insect repellant due to its insecticidal properties. It kills insects and also keeps them away (but I am not sure whether it repels cockroaches!).
- Nervine: Lemongrass Essential Oil acts as a tonic for the nerves and the nervous system. It helps cure many nervous disorders such as shaking hands or limbs, nervousness, vertigo, Alzheimers disease, Parkinsons disease and convulsions, sluggishness, lack of reflexes etc. It strengthens nerves and activates them.
- Sedative: This is perhaps one of the most important and most appreciated medicinal properties of Lemongrass Oil. It is an excellent sedative. It has a great soothing, sedating and calming effects on mind, cures inflammations, itching of skin and relieves tension and anxiety. This feature can help patients of insomnia too.
- Tonic: An agent which tones up and boosts health is a tonic. Lemongrass Oil is a tonic in real sense. It tones all the systems functioning in the body, such as respiratory system, digestive system, nervous system and excretory system and facilitates absorption of nutrients in the body, thus providing strength and strengthening immune system.
- Other Benefits: Helps cure cellulite, fungal infections and digestive problems and reduces excessive perspiration too.
Few Words of Caution: It is likely to irritate skin and produce other types of irritations too. Hence it should be avoided during pregnancy.
Blending: Lemongrass Essential Oil goes fine with essential oils of Basil, Cedar Wood, Coriander, Geranium, Jasmine, Lavender, Lavandin and Tea Tree.
27 years growing dreadlocks the natural way
My dreads are over 9 feet long
also on the board of, and a student glider pilot with freedoms wings international
updated by @soaring-eagle: 02/03/18 07:16:33PM