Like this page? Then share it!
Dreadlocks Site Highly Recommends dreadlockshampoo.com
Dreadlocks Forums

dread wax why ya don't want it why ya don't need it and how to remove it

Klete
@klete
8 years ago
47 posts
true. i got taken, nuf saidsoaringeagle said:
theres a ton of sites pushing backcombing almost all creatted by ppl in theyre 1st 2 weeks of dreading
they get all excited ohhh i got dreads i got dreads so they wanna make a site all about how wonderful it is to have dreads in a week and start pushin the vackcombing and waxing and all that

updated by @klete: 07/22/15 12:18:11PM
☮ soaring eagle ॐ
@soaring-eagle
8 years ago
27,922 posts
its amazing how once ta get wax free they just start to dread up much faster on theyre own huhDolores said:
GREAT ADVICE!!!!!!!!!! Thank you so much for informing me to quit waxing. Soooo helpful!



--
Creator and head dreadhead at:
Dreadlocks Site
Glider pilot student at:
Freedoms wings international
☮ soaring eagle ॐ
@soaring-eagle
8 years ago
27,922 posts
and thats only been a weekso 3 times faster without waxDolores said:
Yes very! That whole first 3 weeks I spent waxing didn't even measure up to the time since I've gotten it out and stopped waxing.

soaringeagle said:
its amazing how once ta get wax free they just start to dread up much faster on theyre own huh

Dolores said:
GREAT ADVICE!!!!!!!!!! Thank you so much for informing me to quit waxing. Soooo helpful!



--
Creator and head dreadhead at:
Dreadlocks Site
Glider pilot student at:
Freedoms wings international
☮Izzy-licious☮
@izzy-licious
8 years ago
183 posts
Sigh~ I was a victim of the wax lies! I paid $16 for a thing of Knottyboy wax. I would spend 2 hours a day "fixing" my dreads so they were some what presentable. I work in a Podiatrists office and the doctor is cool with dreads but I still wanted to appear somewhat professional. I also live in Arizona and 110degrees does NOT agree with waxed out dreads. On the days where I was able to spend the 2 hours of hair prep. Just the walk from my car to the office would send a sticky reside down my face and neck and I would feel gross the rest of the day. I had to sleep with a wrap on so I would stab my boyfriend in the face with a sticky stick of frizzy yuck! I finally gave up on them and after 5 hours in a hot shower( well actually 1 hour then had to wait for the water heater to heat up some more, 3 packets of extra strength conditioner, 2 hours of olive oil and coming, and the 1 tear I shed for the loss of the 6 hour backcombed dreads I was able to save my hair with very little damage. The olive oil was the best for saving my hair as it left my hair very moisturized and as if I had never fallen for the waxy lies!
☮ soaring eagle ॐ
@soaring-eagle
8 years ago
27,922 posts
well the wax probly also helped keep it from really locking so it wassnt fully locked and hard to combi would imagi8ne in az it would suck since its often near the melting tempwell now that your clean lets get ya dready againSara "Izzy" Taylor said:
Sigh~ I was a victim of the wax lies! I paid $16 for a thing of Knottyboy wax. I would spend 2 hours a day "fixing" my dreads so they were some what presentable. I work in a Podiatrists office and the doctor is cool with dreads but I still wanted to appear somewhat professional. I also live in Arizona and 110degrees does NOT agree with waxed out dreads. On the days where I was able to spend the 2 hours of hair prep. Just the walk from my car to the office would send a sticky reside down my face and neck and I would feel gross the rest of the day. I had to sleep with a wrap on so I would stab my boyfriend in the face with a sticky stick of frizzy yuck! I finally gave up on them and after 5 hours in a hot shower( well actually 1 hour then had to wait for the water heater to heat up some more, 3 packets of extra strength conditioner, 2 hours of olive oil and coming, and the 1 tear I shed for the loss of the 6 hour backcombed dreads I was able to save my hair with very little damage. The olive oil was the best for saving my hair as it left my hair very moisturized and as if I had never fallen for the waxy lies!



--
Creator and head dreadhead at:
Dreadlocks Site
Glider pilot student at:
Freedoms wings international
☮ soaring eagle ॐ
@soaring-eagle
8 years ago
27,922 posts
guests and lurkers alikewe will be having a live chat on wax removal this sunday (see events)please join us, you can either click chat above and have the chat in its own window, or once you join theres a chat at the bottom of the screen on every page click the grey bar to pop it upthe chats open to all wether you used wax or not, wether youir currently waxy or have fully recoveredcome share your experiences and help eachotherto grow clean locks that lsst


--
Creator and head dreadhead at:
Dreadlocks Site
Glider pilot student at:
Freedoms wings international
☮ soaring eagle ॐ
@soaring-eagle
8 years ago
27,922 posts
just came across thishttp://www.howtocleanstuff.net/people-and-pets/people/how-to-remove-dread-wax/Dread wax makes for quick dreads and is often encouraged by the companies that make it and discouraged by those experienced with dreadlocks. Essentially, there are two removal methods, either wash it out or melt it out. The process can be long and difficult, especially if there is a lot of wax in the dreads. Here are the recommended steps to remove the wax.Washing MethodYou Will Need:* Apple cider vinegar* Hot water* Bee and Flower Chinese bar soap (available in many Chinatowns or online)* Good bar soap (if Chinese soap is not available)* ProSolv cleaner (available at Wal-Mart)Steps to Remove the Wax:1. There are several different steps you can take to wash out the wax, and the success will vary greatly depending on what type of wax was used. If beeswax was applied, such as Knotty Boy, it will take much more work to break it down for removal.2. This process uses several different cleaning products, but always employs the help of hot water to soften the wax and make it easier to remove. Use the hottest water that you can stand without causing harm to yourself.3. To complete the first approach, fill a sink or bowl with hot water.4. Add apple cider vinegar to the water. The amount will depend on the amount of wax and the length of the dreadlocks.5. Place the waxy dreads into the solution and allow it to soak for at least one-half hour.6. Wash immediately with hot water and a high quality shampoo. It will be necessary to scrub the dreads to get the softened wax removed.7. If beeswax was used, there is a Chinese bar soap available that can be used to remove it.8. Again, apply the soap with hot water and scrub well to remove.9. Repeat until all of the wax (or as much as possible) is removed.10. A last resort cleaning product is ProSolv. This product will remove the wax, but will most likely cause damage to the hair as well. Apply it to the hair with hot water, scrub and rinse.Iron MethodYou Will Need:* Cotton cloths* Brown paper bags* Iron* Ironing board* Partner to assist with the removalSteps to Remove the Wax:1. This method involves melting the wax out of the hair and should only be completed with the help of a friend while using great caution not to burn the scalp. If the dreads are short, do not attempt this method at all.2. Have the person sit so that the dreadlocks can be draped over the ironing board.3. Take a small section of the dreads and wrap a piece of brown paper around them.4. Use a warm iron with NO steam and gently rub it over the paper. You will begin to see the wax transferring to the paper.5. Repeat with a clean piece of paper until the wax is removed.6. Continue with new sections of hair each time following the same steps above.7. Use great caution not to allow the iron to become too hot or to get too close to the scalp as both can cause serious burns.Additional Tips and Ideas* Knotty Boy, the maker of many dreadlock products, also has a removal kit that can help remove wax and dreadlocks.* If the wax cannot be removed, the dreads may need to be cut off.


--
Creator and head dreadhead at:
Dreadlocks Site
Glider pilot student at:
Freedoms wings international
Antony
@antony
8 years ago
80 posts
So, my parents were angry that my natural dreads were taking so long, so they made me go to a salon to "fix it". I knew I was doing it right but they just couldnt resist to force me on their opnions for the thousandth time. So, what the salon did was wash my head so that the dreads would become normal hair. The remaining dreads that were tighter than others, they just kind of ripped a little until it was split. They gave me braids without even knowing. They put a friggin fan in front of the mirror so i couldnt see. I told them that this was a ripoff and a joke, so they told me "Oh, you know, braids become dreads." I told them that I should be getting my money back if I find out this doesnt work. So, I joined this, posted a topic last month (check my first discussion). So, I found out that there s no braid method. I printed out the topic and went back to the salon the next day. We argued for like 15 minutes until they gave me back 40 dollars which was half of what my dad paid. They explained that the removal of braids and the wax was 40.I'm glad I've gained knowledge from this site.
☮ soaring eagle ॐ
@soaring-eagle
8 years ago
27,922 posts
the wax removal soap says right on it "not strong enough to remove wax from dreadlocks"its just for removing wax from hands (and maybe pillows)Knottysleeves said:
soaringeagle said:
just came across this
http://www.howtocleanstuff.net/people-and-pets/people/how-to-remove...

...
* Knotty Boy, the maker of many dreadlock products, also has a removal kit that can help remove wax and dreadlocks.

I love how Knotty Boy tries to convince you that you need wax... then once the wax inevitably ruins your dreads and you have to comb them out, they try to convince you to buy a magical "removal kit". LOL.



--
Creator and head dreadhead at:
Dreadlocks Site
Glider pilot student at:
Freedoms wings international
Daniel
@daniel
8 years ago
118 posts
too bad that after you use the wax removal kit you have to buy the wax removal kit removal kitsoaringeagle said:
the wax removal soap says right on it "not strong enough to remove wax from dreadlocks"
its just for removing wax from hands (and maybe pillows)

Knottysleeves said:
soaringeagle said:
just came across this
http://www.howtocleanstuff.net/people-and-pets/people/how-to-remove...

...
* Knotty Boy, the maker of many dreadlock products, also has a removal kit that can help remove wax and dreadlocks.

I love how Knotty Boy tries to convince you that you need wax... then once the wax inevitably ruins your dreads and you have to comb them out, they try to convince you to buy a magical "removal kit". LOL.
 
 / 17
 
Dislike 0

Share This

Tags

comments powered by Disqus
Contact Form