Like this page? Then share it!
dreadlocks shampoo
Dreadlocks Forums

Sea salt spray

6 years ago
64 posts

Anyone have any experience using sea salt spray? I've been reading through forums and people with thinner finer hair find that using a spray helps them lock up really fast. I also ran into a guy at school who

has amazing neglect dreads and told me that his hair started dreading after he went camping and swimming in the ocean for 2 weeks. I've been contemplating buying some spray from dreadlocksshampoo

but for now, I found a bottle of sea salt spray h2ocean that I got for my piercings and thought maybe I'd try using that and see if anything happens. Any advice? Should you put it on while hair is damp? Can it be used while hair is dry if you don't wash every day? Has salt spray helped any of you guys? Especially if you have thinner fine straight hair?

Jony666
@jony666
6 years ago
25 posts

Sea Salt Spray probably helps things lock because the salt sucks up moisture, making your hair extra dry, in the short term it will help because extra dry, non oily hair will lock up faster because it will be less slippery and more rigid, but on the other hand extra dry hair will become unhealthy, and easier to break and you don't want your dreads breaking apart / breaking off. So I would say that it could help with the locking up for freeform / neglect but just be aware that if your hairs start to look unhealthy / breaking, you might need to oil your hair or rinse more often to keep the hair healthy and not breaking. Exrtra dry hair and scalp will also cause more itchyness and dandruff in some people. 

A better and healthier way to get your hair to be more dry and rigid and lock up faster is actually by rinsing every day in the shower with warm water for a few minutes, just letting the water clean your hair. This will rinse out most of the natural oils on your scalp and hair on a daily basis, making the hair lock up faster because it is dryer and less greasy and at the same time your hair and scalp will be soaking in moisture from the rinsing on a daily basis and stay healthy. Also your dreads will never get stinky and your scalp won't have dandruff / itchyness.

dread_stpauli
@dread-stpauli
6 years ago
156 posts

I have tried out seasalt for a while at the beginning of my journey and i guess it helps at least a bit. I have curly hair that wanted to dread anyway, so for me the benefit was not too big. I was told to use it a couple of hours before a wash and not to leave it in for days or just over night, because it will sort of dry out your scalp and it might cause some itches. So just go for it and give it a try, but don't use it too excessively! Buy a bag of seasalt and mix it with water, it's simple!

6 years ago
64 posts

I tried it out yesterday, just spraying a bit around my hair, and it made a huge significant difference. My hair was only knotting at the ends. Forming little wrecking ball like things that I assumed were just going to fall out, but after one use, the hair suddenly started kinking up and coiling and knotting much closer to the root. Especially the few dreads that I actually do have, they got a lot tighter. I'm going to try your advice about rinsing my hair every day with warm water as opposed to once a week. My hair usually gets out of control by the second day without a wash. I'll use the spray each day as well after showering and see what happens. If I notice any breakage apart form my separating, I'll reduce the use of it.

☮ soaring eagle ॐ
@soaring-eagle
6 years ago
29,640 posts

its in the dreadlockshampoo liquid using it just once i gotta separate like crazy and get a dozen new dreads in a day

if the liquids not enough the sea salt sprays fine its safer then most to leave in but dont overdo it 

it might be best to use a day or 2 before you wash or even just a few hours before you wash

--
My new book Ban The Taboo Vol 1
6 years ago
64 posts

I don't feel the liquid is enough. I don't feel it's working too well. I haven't really seen any progress at all. I look at my weekly timeline on my gallery and don't see much of a change. Especially in the front and top of my head.

6 years ago
64 posts

I was even thinking of going down to the beach with a couple of empty gallon jugs and filling them with ocean water.

☮ soaring eagle ॐ
@soaring-eagle
6 years ago
29,640 posts

if you opt for the beach rather then spray, always wash after  the ocean is the toilet of trillions  maybe quadrillions  with millions of deaths and decay a day and thats just the organic crap (literally) then theres oil spills fukashima (pacific) radiation, garbage islands  of toxic decomposing plastics in every ocean worldwide you name it we dump it there

given the trillions of organisms shitting and pissing in it   and the billions of tons of toxic waste  and other crap that finds its way there. its hard to saw which has higher concentrations.. its shifting lil less shit lil more decay as the chemicals are increased  more and more and probably overtaking the organic nastiness you will want to wash out

--
FemalePheromones
@femalepheromones
6 years ago
414 posts

Thinking of giving this a go. Anyone got an idea of the salt to water ratio?

--
I'm on Twitter @FemalePheromone
and Instagram @FemalePheromones
☮ soaring eagle ॐ
@soaring-eagle
6 years ago
29,640 posts

i know exactly

3.5% of the water volume

i don't know  what units of measure you'd use but google or even Cortana or whatever can help ya with conversions

start with like how many tablespoons in a cup  16 tablespoons per us cup

hmm just read its by weight not volume and 3.2%

3.2-3.5% salinity

weight or volume 

only changes by temp

1 thing id only leave vickis in longer then a lil while.. because of added proteins and vitamins

it does what it will do in 10 min  2 hours is bout the longest id do 

hers i left in the few times  i used it

i get her prototypes ..and test them

ive tried hard to create residue grinding 1/3 of a bar into 1 dread or using whole bottles of rot knot or shampoo ( dont do it my god the rinsing) i find lil too much liquid can fill the shower floor (where my dreads are piled) with overflowing suds but of how clean

i dont generally recommend leaving salt water in longer then a couple hours, but feel hers is safe to

can you show an update pic and 1 about 2 months ago? how old are they?

--
 / 2

Dislike 0

Tags

comments powered by Disqus
privacy policy Contact Form