Like this page? Then share it!
dreadlocks shampoo
Dreadlocks Forums

Starting shampoo?

Moppusan
@moppusan
7 years ago
19 posts

After much soul-searching (and turning 39) I've decided to do things that make me happy, regardless of what my wife's opinion is. And, naturally, dreadlocks are one step on my journey to having better self-esteem and living healthier and happier.

First of all, I'm going the hands-free (mostly) natural route to dread heaven. So, my question is: would shampoos made specifically for dreadlocks be of any help when I'm just starting? Or are they more for already established dreads? Are there any other things I could do to help the natural process or just keep my hair (and mind, and body) happy and healthy?

I have just-about shoulder length hair at the moment. Also, what I meant by "mostly" hands free is that my hair is thinning (actual hair thinning and becoming more sparse) on the top my head. So, I may start some locks with a twist & rip on the top of my head. If the hair on top will dread naturally then I'll keep my hands-off approach.

☮ soaring eagle ॐ
@soaring-eagle
7 years ago
29,640 posts

dread shampoos are very helpful as most  non dread shampoos are very conditioning made to make hair 'manageable' which is code for  helps prevent it from being tangled. they also leave residues that are unwanted

for starting dreads there is no better then the locin up liquid from www.dreadlockshampoo.com the liquid makes them dread fast!  if they are dreading too fast switch to the bars, use the bars when mature. the liquid contains sea salt which helps it dread faster

and that brings me to the other thing that you can do to help them dread.. take a dip in the ocean

--
My new book Ban The Taboo Vol 1
Moppusan
@moppusan
7 years ago
19 posts

Oh, really? I thought that Lockin Up Sea Salt stuff was for already established sections, not for currently mostly straight hair (with a few tangles so far).

I never heard of dreadlocksshampoo.com until I joined this site. It's some sort of cosmic/spiritual/the good Lord brought me here/etc. that they're located only about 1h40m give or take from where I call home.

And believe me -- I would love to visit the beach and enjoy the ocean and all of God's beautiful creation...if I had the money. I receive SSI (I'm permanently disabled) and my girlfriend is trying for disability but also works about 15-16 hours/week just to keep us clothed & sheltered (I also receive food stamps (or if you'd like: SNAP, as our hip government likes to call it) to keep us fed).

☮ soaring eagle ॐ
@soaring-eagle
7 years ago
29,640 posts

where ae you? you must be near me

and guess what  check this out, http://www.freedomswings.org/

i can see where she makes the shampoos from the air if your permanently disabled  and that close come on out

we fly out of 2 places in that area

--
☮ soaring eagle ॐ
@soaring-eagle
7 years ago
29,640 posts

but as for the other part, lets put it this way.. if i ever get a lot of loose hair and want it to dread i use the liquid only once and poof i get a dozen baby dreads just like that

even though mine are extremely mature i use the liquid every few months

use it and you'll see a difference a lot quicker

--
Moppusan
@moppusan
7 years ago
19 posts

Awesome, thanks for the info. I'm not physically disabled, I have the "invisible" disabilities: Major Depressive Disorder and General Anxiety Disorder. I'm in Lancaster, about 10-15 minutes east of downtown.

Freedom’s Wings International sounds awesome! I love hearing about small non-profits that help people with disabilities fulfill a dream or help them on a path to a successful and rewarding life. Even with my anxiety I would love to one day take some sort of high-altitude adventure, be it a airplane/glider or a hot air balloon (we have lots of them around here during tourist season which is coming up soon).

☮ soaring eagle ॐ
@soaring-eagle
7 years ago
29,640 posts

we could use your volunteer help especially since you have free time and volunteers get a chance to fly fairly often many have gotten licensed but don't think you'd qualify for the low income sponsorship so lessons if you wanted to learn to fly well youd have to pay tow charges only (instruction and plane use still would be free)

i'm in phoenxeville

the 2 locations (the 2nd 1 might be lil far for u) are van sant airport n bucks county lil north of  doylstown ,new hope area and Blairstown nj

blirstowns farther but has ridge soaring.. wich is pure adrenaline pumping excitement. (the 1st part was 2 of our pilots soaring the ridge)

ridge soaring you can race very fast, very close to the ridge

http://www.freedomswings.org/soaringeagle/youtube/111

i broke the world record in a simulator (condor competition soaring simulator) sunrise to sunset on the longest day of the year pushing the redline speeds  shooting gaps with only a few feet to spare (when i did it in the acrobatic glider that doesn't have retractable gear  the wheel touched the ground that's how close i was) id be pushing 197 mph  like 6 feet above the trees

ofcourse i had hat set at the most extreme  expert weather conditions and it was a sim so wouldn't fly that extreme for real but you do want to fly as close to the ridge as you can for the best lift

oh and if you want high altitude

not typically in the areas we fly but we have taken a plane to  areas where its common.. mountain wave soaring will get you higher then the jets fly (the perlan 2 space glider should soon fly higher then any winged craft ever)

1 of our members has the nj state altitude record too as well as distance

so yea come on out and volunteer with us

the far location with the ridge we start  saturday

he one near dreadockshampoo the 22nd

that is the glider assembly day and could use 4-6 to put it together and hopefully  have good weather for a few  flights

--
Moppusan
@moppusan
7 years ago
19 posts

I must apologize -- I'd love to volunteer but we are extremely limited with our income. Driving out there wouldn't be wise for our financial situation; gas, maybe a food stop along the way and back. I also checked out Phoenixville...there's a martial arts place I saw on Google Maps that I'd looooove to go to. It's called "Kuntao Martial Arts Club," maybe you've seen it on Franklin Ave. I've studied various martial arts over the years but the one that I've grown to love is Kali, a Filipino Martial Art.

Maaaaaaaan I'd love to come out there. Meet the Guru of Dreadlocks, maybe get in my first ever airplane ride, check out martial arts that I'm into. What a trifecta! I have to admit, though: I'm very much afraid of heights. Not as much as I used to be when I was younger, but that's the main reason I've never flown before. Not even on a commercial airliner.

☮ soaring eagle ॐ
@soaring-eagle
7 years ago
29,640 posts

hey we realllly need hands tomorow  and its alot farther if you were able id pay gas

but im sick the guy i was going with is sick (why im sick) hes sicker and doesnt want to go now

i studied martial arts for a lil while under grand master volrath (indirectly i had 1 training day in his dojo but studied directly under  several of his students, main 1 was kempo but  grand master volrath was a double amputee that founded martial arts for the handicappable based out of steelton pa out your way

he was 20th degree black belt (grand master) in ll but i think 10 styles master (10th degree) in  9 out of the other  10 and was  working on black belt in the only remaining style i think some brazilian stick fighting syleso i got a taste of  shotokan (spelling) ninjitsu juditsu kempo thai chi

i wish chi kung!

iron shirt chi kung always fascinated and impressed me above everything else.. taking a sword trought with enough force to behead you and not getting a scratch or a sledge hamme to the balls or a drill  to the throat or temple .. it just amazes me how thy can become nearly indestructable and possibly even bulletproof

theres a nunnery wwhere all the nuns practice iron shirt

as a demo they would lie in a row and place their hand on the round, over broken glass and have a semi tracter trailer fully loaded just drive  down the line over each ones hand

then again some natve american practices are equally as amazing like the cerimony to cease to be a heyoke involves  reaching  into boiling water to your elboys fishing around till you find a head (your favorite dog has to be sacrificed) and pulling it out without being burned

then theres the  sundance i know a whole lot of sundancers that have huge wide scars, but they never shed a drop of blood

and ofcourse the iceman who swims in underwaear under the artic ice or runs a marathon in the antartic barefoot in underware

having that much control is so amazing

srry bout the typing.. prett y sick

--
Moppusan
@moppusan
7 years ago
19 posts

Sorry I didn't reply, and I couldn't make it today anyway because my wife and I had plans with her sister. Also, being a germophobe, if anyone's sick I'm excessively careful about sanitizing things around me. I haven't had the flu in a loooooong time (probably due to yearly vaccines), and I don't get colds very often, which I can only assume is my partial OCD habits when I'm around anyone that's sick. That's part of my anxiety disorder too, semi-OCD tendencies.

/ 2

Dislike 0

Tags

comments powered by Disqus
privacy policy Contact Form