Like this page? Then share it!
dreadlocks shampoo
Dreadlocks Forums

Shea Butter for Caucasian dreads

Raven's Light
@ravens-light
8 years ago
346 posts

I have a question about shea butter, is it ok to use on caucasion hair to moisturize the dreads during the colder months, or would it better to use esential oils?

updated by @ravens-light: 01/22/20 09:33:16AM
☮ soaring eagle ॐ
@soaring-eagle
8 years ago
29,640 posts

well, essential oils technically are medicinal, not moisturizing so jojoba or argon "carrier" oils are used to moisturize with essential oils added to the carrier for medicinal treatments.

shae certainly is a moisturizing option, but due to its consistency buildup maybe a concern

pure aloe gel straight from the plant, or sold in food grade format as a drink, or food additive is a great option! but be sure that there is 1 and only 1 ingredient..aloe

lily of the dessert i think it is is 1 company that makes a pure aloe

but you are best off buying a few large plants and growing your own..warning however-  theres 500 varieties of aloe the 1 you want is aloe vera there are other aloe varieties  that are skin iritants and toxic, buying the wrong plant will make your scalp feel like its on fire

be sure to get true aloe or aloe vera ..

jojoba or argon oils are also great choices

aloe is pretty much impossible to cause buildup and is my faviorite choice although i use argon or jojoba more often because i have it available more often

--
My new book Ban The Taboo Vol 1
Raven's Light
@ravens-light
8 years ago
346 posts

ok, what if I only were to use shea butter on a once a month basis during the cold month, would it minimize the possibility of build up then? I had used it before a while back, once a month and only applied it when I was in the shower, so that I could immediately wash it through my hair, it seemed to be ok under those conditions.

updated by @ravens-light: 10/02/16 12:01:49PM
☮ soaring eagle ॐ
@soaring-eagle
8 years ago
29,640 posts

typically shae is used in a form added to a product, like shae in shampoo

i have to add a disclaimer here.. i have never used shae myself, and many people use it without issue.. but i do know it has a rather thick consistency that i would think could cause buildup

so i cannot give a definitive answer without using it myself in a straight form

it is most likely ok.. but when you feel the consistency ..you might make a judgment call of your own

what you might want to try is, take a washcloth, roll it up tight wrapping some bands around it  to make a simulated dread add sme shae to it and then rinse and see if you can detect any residue

--
My new book Ban The Taboo Vol 1
Dislike 0

Tags

comments powered by Disqus
privacy policy Contact Form