Like this page? Then share it!
dreadlocks shampoo
Dreadlocks Forums

How to separate DREADS from the root? Help please :)

Light Faerie ~
@light-faerie
11 years ago
34 posts

I didn't see anything about this on the FAQs. If there is a topic already concerning this, please redirect me! :)

I have no problem dreading my hair, they are locking quite well.
However, my problem is with the roots! Many of my dreads are starting to lock together at the root. I should probably deal with this ASAP so they don't completely lock together.

But how should I deal with this? Separating them with my heads is quite painful and seems impossible. A friend said I should cut them in order to separate them. I don't like this idea very much!
I don't want them to be locked together to form huge dreads so is there anyway I can avoid this?

Please help :)

~ Much Love

updated by @light-faerie: 01/13/15 09:52:13PM
NaturalDreads01
@naturaldreads01
11 years ago
170 posts

hmmm.. if there is a tad bit of webbing at the roots.. not a huge deal.. I would talk to Baba Fats about this matter. :D he has some good separating videos up too

JeffThaGreenthumb
@jeffthagreenthumb
11 years ago
13 posts

I used to cut a little at a time but I would not recommend this because if you slip and cut off a dread your going to wish that you would have just loved the webbing that you had. I hate the sound of ripping though,hmm. I have the same issue of constant webbing and I have just decided to let it be. Although, i have a few congos, none are giant or anything. I guess I would think they do this for a reason. My dreads do all sorts of funny things all the time, I dont understand any of it but I like it that way. Just dont use a scissors its asking for trouble. Hope this helps at least a little

Tim5
@tim5
11 years ago
359 posts

search separation tutorial in the tab bar at the top. Baba Fats has a good video with everything you need to know. If you need to cut, cut like a surgeon, carefully, a little bit a time, until you can pull them apart with your hands. Essentially all you need to do is pull the dreads in opposite directions until they tear apart, just leaving some webbing at the scalp, you don't separate right back to the scalp, you want to leave some covering hair, the scalp needs that protection.

peace

Light Faerie ~
@light-faerie
11 years ago
34 posts

Thank you guys! This helped a lot. I also watched the video by the guy you mentioned.

I was a little worried that I let my hair go without separating it constantly; but I'm doing my best.
I don't think it's bad actually & definitely won't try cutting it... that would be so sad.

Thanks again ~

the Barrellady
@the-barrellady
11 years ago
1,302 posts

Baba Fats video for separating is very informative. I would just like to add that it is best to separate your sections when they are wet. They are stronger and thicker then, can handle a little more tugging when required....Peace

Light Faerie ~ said:

Thank you guys! This helped a lot. I also watched the video by the guy you mentioned.

I was a little worried that I let my hair go without separating it constantly; but I'm doing my best.
I don't think it's bad actually & definitely won't try cutting it... that would be so sad.

Thanks again ~

Dislike 0

Tags

comments powered by Disqus
privacy policy Contact Form