Like this page? Then share it!
dreadlocks shampoo
Dreadlocks Forums

Perhaps ending my journey :(

Nicole V.
@nicole-v
11 years ago
4 posts

If it smells, perhaps it's not "dandruff", but perhaps an over colonization of yeast on your scalp? Maybe try some live active cultures... I don't know, I've dealt with psoriasis on my scalp my whole life and never noticed any "smell"

updated by @nicole-v: 07/23/15 06:29:09PM
ginger.rose
@gingerrose
11 years ago
45 posts

The hard water can leave a residue which leads to smells that one would not normally have on the scalp.

Heather
@heather
11 years ago
1,291 posts

be sure to dilute your shampoo in water. i use a squirt bottle which i fill with water and then add a few squirt of shampoo. also try adding a few drops of tea tree oil to the mix which will help cut grease and kill scalp stink. don't give up just yet. I'm sure we can help you find a shampoo that will help you combat your dandruff.

Gingerlocks said:

I have got the 'Kiss My Face whenever' shampoo which i am going to give a go.. and if not. I'm ending it.

Linus
@linus
11 years ago
43 posts

Make sure the water hits you scalp with good pressure when youre taking a shower. I had the same problem but that did it for me.

Laura Earle
@laura-earle
11 years ago
233 posts

Hmm, how long have you been dreading? I, as well as a LOT of other people with whom I've spoken on here, had a dry, itchy scalp during their first couple months. It's almost like your scalp has to get used to the new washing routine. But it does, eventually. Trust me.

Gingerlocks
@gingerlocks
11 years ago
35 posts

How often should i wash then?

ginger.rose
@gingerrose
11 years ago
45 posts
Most people say every 2-3 days in the beginning. I find it depends on the water and the condition of the scalp... When I first stopped brushing my hair, I was already washing every 2-3 days... But had to wash more often in the beginning while my scalp adjusted to not brushing. Every other day was the norm for a while, because I would get itchy on the second day. Now, after almost 10 months, I'm seeing signs that every 3 days will be enough if I can stop touching my hair so much. I don't itch till the 3rd day, and if I alternate with BS/ACV, I don't get the sebum buildup on the scalp from the funky water; so the clean feeling (and healthy smell) lasts longerThere are more scientific answers out there, but sometimes experimentation and failure can lead to understanding why one works better than another, for your situation. Best wishes in whatever you do.
Gingerlocks
@gingerlocks
11 years ago
35 posts

Well, I wash it every second day now, but people say thats too much. That I should do it every third.

And the BS/ACV doesn't work with my water..

Gingerlocks
@gingerlocks
11 years ago
35 posts

I have no idea what to do. The easiest way is just to comb them out, or cut them off. But thats what i want though. I love having dreadlocks..

ginger.rose
@gingerrose
11 years ago
45 posts
Far be it from me to encourage you to stop... But you know, sometimes that is the experimentation needed? You might discover the secret to healthy scalp, and can start over. I would be really sad to comb mine out, but that is one thing that has become apparent throughout this freeform process - you can always start over... It's only time.But if you would regret the comb more, just keep trying new ways to clean your head and balance your skin - maybe use some meditative inquiry or something to see what the next best action could be - sometimes your body knows best. Someone was talking about hair teas yesterday - there is a whole thread on it - Barrellady posted the link. Or maybe just a shower-softener attachment, to fix the hard water problem?I'm cheering for you to find your own best path - this challenge is part if your journey

/ 3

Dislike 0

Tags

comments powered by Disqus
privacy policy Contact Form