Like this page? Then share it!
dreadlocks shampoo
Dreadlocks Forums

Just Starting Out & What To Expect

kaitlynn
@kaitlynn
11 years ago
1 posts
Thanks so much for the tips! Really helpful!
updated by @kaitlynn: 07/23/15 04:26:05PM
the Barrellady
@the-barrellady
11 years ago
1,302 posts

Tanky T. Sorry I did not notice your question sooner about some being tight. Well, if you still think you can get the tight ones out, although it has been 5 weeks now, then maybe do so. In regards to the braided look, that does disappear by the time they mature, so no worries about that part. But I will let you know about the skinny ones that I made too tight. They never loosened and are way back in time maturing compared to the rest of them. The hairs inside were unable to move about, so there is a weird snaky shape happening with a tight ball on the end. Do I wish I knew more when I started my journey...sure do...would I have redone my tight ones knowing what I know now.....sure would. So if you can get it out do, you think it may set you back by 5 weeks, but the tightness will set you back so much more for them to mature.....good luck & peace, sorry again about not noticing your question sooner

Tanky T.. said:

Thanks for the tips!! Im 3 weeks into my tnr journey but some of mine are very tight and braid looking. Should I start over? Everyone keeps saying their got really loose but I cant see that happening. So confused! Thanks
the Barrellady
@the-barrellady
11 years ago
1,302 posts

You are welcome Kaitlynn, It was my pleasure to make this post. We over question ourselves when first starting out, so just wanted to help ease minds out there.....peace

kaitlynn said:

Thanks so much for the tips! Really helpful!
the Barrellady
@the-barrellady
11 years ago
1,302 posts

My hardest stage was the messy looking hair, like I was wild and did not give a crap what I looked like. Tams were my best friend then, could not go out without wearing one, that stage lasted me 2-3 months. That is where I swear some people might buckle in and give up. I learned patience and was rewarded with dreads I grew...hang in there.....peace

Guni Rnar Gefnarson said:

This was very informative and reassuring. I've been feeling self conscious about how messy my dreads are. But yeah,patience is something I'll try and improve my self in :)

Kerry LoCo
@kerry-loco
11 years ago
46 posts

My husband looked at me a couple of days ago and said "Your hair looks really wild." When I tried to get him to elaborate, he wouldn't say if it was a good thing or a bad thing. It was really the first real comment he's made about it. I actually had to tell him he could touch it, because he was avoiding it. He's patting me on the top of my head now.

It really looks, well, kinda freaky because some forming dreads want to stick out sideways, the hair is super loose on top and waving around and I have to separate congos on the sides of my head daily. I can "clean up" nicely for public (just wrapping a scarf and holding it all back, too hot for tams here), but around the house? LOL

My only worry is that my son is coming home tonight and is bringing home his gf (a SK national) who most likely has NO idea what dreadlocks are. :-O

the Barrellady said:

My hardest stage was the messy looking hair, like I was wild and did not give a crap what I looked like. Tams were my best friend then, could not go out without wearing one, that stage lasted me 2-3 months. That is where I swear some people might buckle in and give up. I learned patience and was rewarded with dreads I grew...hang in there.....peace

Moon Raven
@moon-raven
11 years ago
32 posts

Kerry, my hair is at that crazy wild stage too. lol

When anyone comes over, that doesn't understand dreads, I put my hair up. It looks like a messy up do in back and one of my long scarfs framing my face, but like it suppose to be that way.

I've gotten quite a few complements on the style.

Kerry LoCo
@kerry-loco
11 years ago
46 posts

That is how I usually style my hair when I'm out and about. My son looked at my hair this morning and said, "Well, it looks wild." LOL They all are trying to be supportive. ;-)

Moon Raven said:

Kerry, my hair is at that crazy wild stage too. lol

When anyone comes over, that doesn't understand dreads, I put my hair up. It looks like a messy up do in back and one of my long scarfs framing my face, but like it suppose to be that way.

I've gotten quite a few complements on the style.

christina popejoy
@christina-popejoy
11 years ago
91 posts

This is really great and reassuring!! :D

elsa sabby villalino
@elsa-sabby-villalino
11 years ago
3 posts

<3 <3 <3

Keilaina
@keilaina
11 years ago
4 posts

Thank you for posting this. Over the past few years I have done a lot of dreadlock research. There are so many differing opinions. Your conclusions are almost exactly the same as the ones I've come to. I finally started my journey this week, August 21st. Seeing all of this in one place is such a confirmation that I'm on the right track and makes me even more excited for the future. Thanks again!

-Keilaina

/ 4

Dislike 0

Tags

comments powered by Disqus
privacy policy Contact Form