Like this page? Then share it!
dreadlocks shampoo
Dreadlocks Forums

Tips for an absolute beginner?

Eddy St. King
@eddy-st-king
11 years ago
50 posts

I really don't think the crown area will dread just fine.

soaring eagle said:

yea tye didference in those who seen a professional is they did exrreme harm and caused threm to go bald

you really should not go back it will dread fine from here

updated by @eddy-st-king: 07/23/15 06:58:21PM
Baba Fats
@baba-fats
11 years ago
2,702 posts

The fade leaves you with shorter hair in the back and sides. Not less hair per square inch.

The advice we're trying to give to good for the health of your locks as well as your wallet. No one here makes a dime off of the advice we shell out. That's What we're trying to help with, too. There's no reason to spend money on locks. Unless you want to decorate them. Paying someone to mess with your hair isn't practical. Especially with locks. Paying someone leads you to put your trust in them. Just about all beauty schools that teach how to cut/style hair, don't teach anything about locks. What "locktitians" know about them, is only what they have learned from other bad sources.

Trey Griffith
@trey-griffith
11 years ago
5 posts

I'm just gathering as much insight as I can. I've spoken with people who like using products, people who occasionally visit salons and people who just go natural so I figured why not find a balance? I've never had dreads before, but you sure you're not being a bit critical of the other methods people use? I work with a guy with long beautiful dreads. He told me he went to a salon occasionally for the first few months. His dreads go more than halfway down his back and they look neat and even. Also it really doesn't feel that tight. I used to have hair down to about my shoulders and I would get it braided pretty often. I know how it feels to have your hair done too tight but my scalp feels about the same as before I got my hair twisted. It doesn't feel tight at all. I hope you're not offended that I'm going to pick and choose on the advice I take. I trust all of you more than I do me for this stuff that's for sure, but I won't totally dismiss the advice of friends and family just because others said "that doesn't work." Damn sure looks like it does. I appreciate the advice, and concern Journeyman, but don't feel bad for me. I'm pretty sure I'll still have hair in 5 months.

Journeyman Dreads said:

Brother you can listen to your friends and people that already have dreads that will eventually have them fall out OR you can take heed of the advice people are giving here and how SERIOUS this situation is. You're gonna be almost entirely bald after like 5 months in breh. think of those twists as follicle asthma. Your scalp can barely breathe and move when the hair is twisted that tight. It's not able to naturally circulate blood flow. Anyways, you seem pretty sure of what you're doing so i'll just let you figure that your for yourself. Feel bad for you.

Trey Griffith
@trey-griffith
11 years ago
5 posts

yeahh I'm kinda starting to feel like I spent $50 on a bottle of shampoo cause that's the only thing I see myself using out of the kit. I won't go all out buying products again, but maybe they'll be of use down the line. And again about the salon thing it was just something I was gonna do every other week for the first month or 2. Whole reason I was gonna do it to begin with is because both friends and family recommended putting my hair in the hands of a stylist for a while. Is it really that bad of an idea? After washing (finally) I'm kinda seeing that my hair will hold up and I may not need as much maintenance as I originally thought

Baba Fats said:

The fade leaves you with shorter hair in the back and sides. Not less hair per square inch.

The advice we're trying to give to good for the health of your locks as well as your wallet. No one here makes a dime off of the advice we shell out. That's What we're trying to help with, too. There's no reason to spend money on locks. Unless you want to decorate them. Paying someone to mess with your hair isn't practical. Especially with locks. Paying someone leads you to put your trust in them. Just about all beauty schools that teach how to cut/style hair, don't teach anything about locks. What "locktitians" know about them, is only what they have learned from other bad sources.

Trey Griffith
@trey-griffith
11 years ago
5 posts

These helped alot great vids thanks. Maybe I'll rethink that salon visit

soaring eagle said:

ok heres what i would do

carfully gently comb that out

theyn just let it drerad naturaly your hairs already thinning bsadly from braids i bet?

thde back of your head the scalp looks abused

anyone that would twist hair thats already thsat damaged should be suesd!

if u dont comb iyt out and start over nasturaly then wash the hell out of u[it so that loosends up right away!

when its looser leave it alone

let it dread do not twidst evrer i cant stress that enough your already in danger and iu[u just begiun

if wax was used start over or get the wax be gone gt that nasty wax out

and senmd that supa dupa ripoff scam kit back that destroys dreads so do locticians

now heres where yoiu will be if u go back to that salon

your already 1/3 of the way there

now heres where u would be idf u let it dread itself

notice none ofthem are going bald cause none went to a "professional" wich is just a scam artist

hair dreasds itself why do u need a professional to do what happens by just letting it happen

☮ soaring eagle ॐ
@soaring-eagle
11 years ago
29,640 posts

i would thats what salons do try to sell you on a "tidy" look thats sooooo tight it makes you bald they call traction alopecia tidy cause no loose hairs betweeb dreads because its receding being twisted till it wont grow back

they charge u over and over and scare u into not even washing yoir hair without paying them to

literaly they will say not to wash for a full year then come in monthly for washing waxing and twisting and they keep doinhg it till threy fall off and u go bald

the best thing u can do now is wash and let them dread

thats it

--
My new book Ban The Taboo Vol 1
Baba Fats
@baba-fats
11 years ago
2,702 posts

I'm glad you started to to rethink the salon thing.

I guess I should have started out with my salon horror story. I just didn't think it was as appropriate, because of our different hair types.

I went to a salon for my first set. They twisted my hair up and applied wax. They told me to not wash my hair for 2 months (Not that long, right). I was to apply a little wax 1-2 times a week.

At the 2 month mark, I was so excited to wash my hair. Just the pressure of the water (before my hands touched my hair) was enough to start peeling my hair off my head in chunks. It had rotted so badly that it melted right off my head. I ended up loosing 1/2 my hair. When I did run my fingers through my hair, I felt like I was a chemo patient. I was pulling off globs of hair left and right. I had to shave my head because of how disgusting it was

Danielle Hache
@danielle-hache
11 years ago
100 posts

yikes another victim...in the last month 5 different people came into my shop all african american who visited a loctician and now had to shave their head cause theyre going bald ....this is a real problem in the community ...they all had different time frames and different stories but the same end result. i tried to encourage them to make videos , or somehow spread the word because they were devastated and i feel for them...just keep doing some research ..and make your own choice but make it an educated one not just because other people told you to do something ....good luck and happy dreading ...

Kelly3
@kelly3
11 years ago
333 posts

I would definitely suggest that you brush them out and go natural. Your hair should dread so fast. Plus, they will be healthier for it. Some of the sections you have there look so big, and when they mature they eventually reach the thickness of the section. This can cause problems with mold, of not properly cared for. Also, by the looks of it, all the thickest sections will be right at the back. It won't be even.

/ 2
Dislike 0

Tags

comments powered by Disqus
privacy policy Contact Form