Like this page? Then share it!
dreadlocks shampoo
Dreadlocks Forums

Tips for an absolute beginner?

Trey Griffith
@trey-griffith
11 years ago
5 posts

What's goin on people? I just got some twists put in my head last week. If everything works out they'll dread up pretty nice...I think. I had it done by an African hair stylist who specializes in braids and dreads. She asked me to come back and get it touched up next week. I think this is probably a good idea to let a professional handle it for the first 8-12 weeks. Give them some time to grow and start locking; less chance of me messing them up. Anyway, I just got an Ultra Dread kit in the mail from DHHQ, haven't really touched it. My scalp has been pretty itchy the past few days. I haven't washed or gotten my hair wet since it was done. If you look closely at the picture above you'll see that the baby hair going down my neck is kinda knotted. These looked more like twists a few days ago but they're coming undone. Any ideas on how to keep my scalp clean and comfortable? How should I use these products in the first month with my hair at thelengthit is? If I was to wash it or apply products like the dread was to the shorter ones will rest of the hair become undone in the back? Any advice is appreciated. More pics of my starters attached. And allow me to introduce myself.

updated by @trey-griffith: 02/14/15 05:50:39AM
Castaway J
@castaway-j
11 years ago
585 posts

There is no need at all to ever go to a loctician. If you wanted to get them started then fine, but there is absolutely NO reason to go back. Dreadlocks take time and patience, and your own brand of personal love. Wash them as often as your scalp tells you too. If you feel a bad its sesh coming on then wash. use some essential oils to relieve it like rosemary, or lavander. Aloe can also be applied directy to an itchy spot on your scalp to relieve the itch.

☮ soaring eagle ॐ
@soaring-eagle
11 years ago
29,640 posts

yikes yikes yilkes yikes ok im not trying to be mean but fude u were screwed 1st send thast dreadhead crap back (take a crap in the box then send it back) never ever go back to that saslon that screwed u im realluy scared for yp u man if thats how severely they messed u up in 1 visit and they want u back every week u will be bald in a month

never put waxz in dreads never twu]ist them (other then the 1st day)

now if u recover from the disaster they caused u are either going to have huge dresds 9(if u let themn dresad right) or tiny dreads poking out of a mostly bald head) if u go back)

im going to look at the other pics before i f=go inthe 1st 1 scared me too bad

--
My new book Ban The Taboo Vol 1
☮ soaring eagle ॐ
@soaring-eagle
11 years ago
29,640 posts

ok heres what i would do

carfully gently comb that out

theyn just let it drerad naturaly your hairs already thinning bsadly from braids i bet?

thde back of your head the scalp looks abused

anyone that would twist hair thats already thsat damaged should be suesd!

if u dont comb iyt out and start over nasturaly then wash the hell out of u[it so that loosends up right away!

when its looser leave it alone

let it dread do not twidst evrer i cant stress that enough your already in danger and iu[u just begiun

if wax was used start over or get the wax be gone gt that nasty wax out

and senmd that supa dupa ripoff scam kit back that destroys dreads so do locticians

now heres where yoiu will be if u go back to that salon

your already 1/3 of the way there

now heres where u would be idf u let it dread itself

notice none ofthem are going bald cause none went to a "professional" wich is just a scam artist

hair dreasds itself why do u need a professional to do what happens by just letting it happen

--
Kelly3
@kelly3
11 years ago
333 posts

Oh man.. Look at all that scalp!Definitelynever go back. If I were you, I'd take out those dreads and let it dread naturally. If you have the hair texture for twists, natural will be a breeze for you. Plus, it will be far better for that scalp. Google traction alopecia.

Baba Fats
@baba-fats
11 years ago
2,702 posts

When she twisted your hair, did it hurt? It looks like it must have to pull it that tight that so much scalp is showing. The first key to healthy locks is that they should never hurt or feel uncomfortable, even the first day.

I'm with everyone else, NEVER go back to get a "touch up". They screwed you at the salon.

DHHQ is a pain to get a refund from. They just won't d it for you. I know you must have spent a bundle for that kit. Calk it up to a learning experience and through it out. Or do what Eagle said. But don't expect to get your money back.

At this point, I highly recommend washing your hair out. You should be washing 2-3 times a week, anyway. There's no reason to wait any amount of time before your first wash. If your scalp itches, wash. If you haven't washed in a few days, wash. If you want to, wash. It's that simple.

If wax was used, you need something with a detergent in it to clean it out. Wax is a hydrocarbon. No normal soap/shampoo is going to clean it out

Trey Griffith
@trey-griffith
11 years ago
5 posts

Thanks for the advice everyone. And idk if you looked at the other pictures I had uploaded. I get alot of compliments on the way it looks in the front and on the top, but I think it looks so weird in the back because my hair is REALLY short back there(I had a hightop fade and my hair is a few different lengths.) People were saying it wouldn't work at the length it was in the back while some hair in the front was as long as 4 inches. It didn't hurt to get them done I hardly felt anything. This stylist didn't lie to me or anything I went to her cause other people I know out here with dreads recommended if I have short hair letting a professional start them and retwist it the first couple months. Honestly I'm still gonna have her twist them over the next month or so. I've just personally seen a difference in the other dreadheads who saw a professional compared to those who didn't. That's too bad about DHHQ. I was starting to think I didn't really need it lol. It was only like $50 bucks so I'll live with it. I got skeptical soon after opening their products though.

Eddy St. King
@eddy-st-king
11 years ago
50 posts

Brother you can listen to your friends and people that already have dreads that will eventually have them fall out OR you can take heed of the advice people are giving here and how SERIOUS this situation is. You're gonna be almost entirely bald after like 5 months in breh. think of those twists as follicle asthma. Your scalp can barely breathe and move when the hair is twisted that tight. It's not able to naturally circulate blood flow. Anyways, you seem pretty sure of what you're doing so i'll just let you figure that your for yourself. Feel bad for you.

Kelly3
@kelly3
11 years ago
333 posts

See all that scalp showing? It's way too tight. Have you had braids or anything else done before, because the back looks seriously damaged already. It's definitely not a length issue.

☮ soaring eagle ॐ
@soaring-eagle
11 years ago
29,640 posts

yea tye didference in those who seen a professional is they did exrreme harm and caused threm to go bald

you really should not go back it will dread fine from here

--
 / 2

Dislike 0

Tags

comments powered by Disqus
privacy policy Contact Form