Like this page? Then share it!
dreadlocks shampoo
Dreadlocks Forums

I may need an intervention:)

Kameron Hammond
@kameron-hammond
12 years ago
8 posts

My dreads are about 2 mo old. I have a good friend who has wonderful dreads. He is kind of my "inspiration" as far as dreads go! He goes into a gal and has them "fixed" every several months. He has her tidy them up and add in the loose hair. His dreads look "natural". They are different sizes and have loose ends. They are really beautiful. I am so tempted to do this, but I told myself I wouldn't. I have some flat dreads, some loose dreads, some thin ones and lots of loops. I know I need to be patient, but everyone I know that has dreads does some kind ofmaintenance.

So I guess I am just asking for some opinions on what to do.

Namaste:)

updated by @kameron-hammond: 02/14/15 07:42:25AM
☮ soaring eagle ॐ
@soaring-eagle
12 years ago
29,640 posts

so u thinjk its better to spend thousands of dollars even tens of thousands to tame every hair only to keep em 3 maybe 4 years max?

or u can keep doin what your doin ...nothin save your money maybe feed a poor family or help some kids escape the gangsta life do somethigmore meanningful then work on a look..live a lifestyle

a true dreads way more concerned about what goodthey can do then who they can pay to make them look good

its such a waste all that money spent on maintaining what doesnt need maintaining ..that could have been put to good use

hell i bet he knew someone who lost their house causethey couldnt afford the mortgage and all they would have needed to avoid homenlessness was for him to skip 3 or 4 maintenance sessions

dont just try to look like a dreadhead..be a dreadhead

theres more in this world worth worrying about then a few loose hairs

--
My new book Ban The Taboo Vol 1
Ariel Loveless
@ariel-loveless
12 years ago
11 posts

The way I see it is you can be super high maintenance as much as you want or not at all with your dreadlocks, but if you want some maintenance why not do your own kind of upkeep? Try experimenting with different dreadlocks routines and see what works best for you, just be aware of how your hair/scalp reacts and understand what is you are doing and using (you don't want dead hair) product-wise I'd stick with something natural keep it in moderation and balance. Of course, ya know, if you're lazy you could totally find out what that place your friend goes to is all about. Ask them specific questions, if you like what you hear but are still unsure well then there is only one way to find out how you really feel about it.

Baba Fats
@baba-fats
12 years ago
2,702 posts

If your locks are only 2 months old, you definitely don't need to think about any maintenance yet. They are still babies. It's like asking a toddler to go out and get a job. They need time to develop. Like Arial said, if you want to do maintenance to your hair, do your research. Find out the damage it will do to your hair and scalp. Don't just listen to one person saying it won't hurt them. Especially not the person who'd be doing the work. They will lie, cheat and steal to make a buck of of he unsuspecting.

That said, you never need maintenance. The kind that your friend has done create unhealthy locks that over tightens their roots and thins the lock out.

There is a ton of bad information out there. And what's worse, it's easy to find and just about the only info you'll find on the first few pages of a google search. If you decide tha you are thinking about doing anything o your lock, but aren't sure if it;'s healthy, you can always ask here. I know mot of us are dead set on the natural method, but we are willing to lend a hand in letting you know what is healthy and what isn't

Doogie
@doogie
12 years ago
321 posts

Your locks will tidy themselves up over time! Paitence is a virture with dreads!

Kameron Hammond
@kameron-hammond
12 years ago
8 posts

I'm not concerned about having "perfect dreads" at all. I talk to everyone I meet that have dreads and ask what they do to their dreads, for curiosity;) Every single person I have asked (and they do have wonderful dreads) do some type ofmaintenance at least some of the time. I have had several people say that if you don't add in the loose hair then you will end up with some tiny dreads that I would end up loosing over time.

I'm just asking some opinions here on this site because I have gotten some great education here. I also get a lot of advice from other peeps too.

Take care and have a wonderful Christmas (or whatever you celebrate)!!!!

☮ soaring eagle ॐ
@soaring-eagle
12 years ago
29,640 posts

they dont know what they are talking about ive never added in loose hairs and mine are fine and getting fatter

--
My new book Ban The Taboo Vol 1
Pamela Isley
@pamela-isley
12 years ago
3 posts

Super simply solution LEAVE THEM ALONE let them be!!! You wont regret it!!!

Kameron Hammond
@kameron-hammond
12 years ago
8 posts

Thanks:) I appreciate the advice! I'll be patient and let them be. It's a journey, not a destination;)

Doogie said:

Your locks will tidy themselves up over time! Paitence is a virture with dreads!

Kameron Hammond
@kameron-hammond
12 years ago
8 posts

I am saying this with all due respect, but please don't assume things. Just because I am asking about having a friend of mine, that happens to work at a salon, to help tidy up my dreads, does not mean that I am just throwing my money away and not helping others. I am a member of Burners Without Borders, I am on a art non profit board of directors, I donate my money and time constantly. I live a life of service. Please do not assume things.

I fully understand your opinion on natural dreads and I respect that opinion.

Peace

Kam

soaring eagle said:

so u thinjk it;s better to spend thousands of dollars even tens of thousands to tame every hair only to keep em 3 maybe 4 years max?

or u can keep doin what your doin ...nothin save your money maybe feed a poor family or help some kids escape the gangsta life do somethigmore meanningful then work on a look..live a lifestyle

a true dreads way more concerned about what goodthey can do then who they can pay to make them look good

its such a waste all that money spent on maintaining what doesnt need maintaining ..that could have been put to good use

hell i bet he knew someone who lost their house causethey couldnt afford the mortgage and all they would have needed to avoid homenlessness was for him to skip 3 or 4 maintenance sessions

dont just try to look like a dreadhead..be a dreadhead

theres more in this world worth worrying about then a few loose hairs

/ 2

Dislike 0

Tags

comments powered by Disqus
privacy policy Contact Form