Like this page? Then share it!
dreadlocks shampoo
Dreadlocks Forums

Are my roots going to tighten up?

Vini
@vini
12 years ago
8 posts

Aright, so about 4 days ago at around 11 at night I finally decided to go for dreads, did them all myself, except a part at the very back of my hair which I had someone back comb later but i guess they just completely came undone. I never sectioned them, just took parts and back combed, so thats probably why the back of my hair looks so shitty. Anyways my question is, Will my roots ever tighten up? they are REALLY loose, and i just need to figure out what to do with them. Should I redo the back of my hair so it actually looks organized? because I have about five dreads going around the top and then the rest is just a big tangle of hair, someone help?

updated by @vini: 01/13/15 09:39:55PM
☮ soaring eagle ॐ
@soaring-eagle
12 years ago
29,640 posts

u never had to backcomb at all dreads happen on their own the roots will tighten uo but not in 5 days not 5 weeks or 5 months they will get way looser before they get tighter

just let them

--
My new book Ban The Taboo Vol 1
Mons
@mons
12 years ago
518 posts

All you have to do is spearate. Don't re-backcomb them, it doesn't really do any good. It just sets you back to day one. To separate, take to ends and pull them apart. That's it. You don't need to do anything else. 'formed' dreads always come apart then reknot. It's part of the process. If they don't do that then they don't dread. The absolute very best thing to do is wash 2-3 times a week and separate about once a week. Baby dreads should have 1-3 inces of loose roots. Mature ones usually have about 1/2 to 1 inch of loose root, they need that in order to tangle and continue to dread up. You don't need to do anything to tighten them up.

Vini
@vini
12 years ago
8 posts

Yeah thats what I was thinking, I guess I should just try and let them do their thing. Another question, for washing, I washed yesturday. I used a baking soda wash and then rinsed it out with water, I didnt scrub or anything, I just dipped my hair in the sink and soaked it. Now my scalp is very oily and itchy whenever i scratch at it under the dreads, it feels like there is lots of residue there. what can i do about this? i feel like the wash didnt do anything at all.

Mons
@mons
12 years ago
518 posts

Baking soda rinse should sit for 10-30 minutes. Pour it over your head and let it sit then rinse it. After that do an apple cider vinegar splash and rinse immediately

Vini
@vini
12 years ago
8 posts

Could I go without the apple cider splash? I didnt have any

the Barrellady
@the-barrellady
12 years ago
1,302 posts

Also make sure that you rinse out all the BS . The baking soda will leave a residue which will cause itching for some, so rinse well.
Mons said:

Baking soda rinse should sit for 10-30 minutes. Pour it over your head and let it sit then rinse it. After that do an apple cider vinegar splash and rinse immediately

Mons
@mons
12 years ago
518 posts

Yeah, with the BS, rinse rinse rinse, then rinse some more.

BS raises the pH of your skin which will dry it out and cause some crazy itching. ACV resets the pH of your scalp and makes it happy. If you have really super oily skin/hair then for a couple weeks you can get away without using it then slowly start using it in small amounts to let your scalp adjust. It is conditioning so with brand new baby dreads you will want to pour it on as much scalp as possible then rinse it right out. Regular white vinegar will work too.

☮ soaring eagle ॐ
@soaring-eagle
12 years ago
29,640 posts

what ratios of bs and water did u use

--
My new book Ban The Taboo Vol 1
Dislike 0

Tags

comments powered by Disqus
privacy policy Contact Form