Like this page? Then share it!
dreadlocks shampoo
Dreadlocks Forums

How often should a newbie wash hair?!

Doogie
@doogie
12 years ago
321 posts
Backcombing does not speed up the locking process! It breaks and damages your hair! Doesnt matter which method you use, it all takes about the same time to lock! That is as long as you dont use that nasty wax! Im just over a yr natural after having backcombed dreads for a yr that was waxed so I cut them out and started over the way dreads were meant to be. I wash twice a wk with bars and liquid from www.dreadlockshampoo.com and use a sea salt spray 3 times a month and no problems. My short babies still have a long ways to go!
updated by @doogie: 07/23/15 06:43:25PM
jazzymomma
@jazzymomma
12 years ago
175 posts

jazzymomma said:

well technically yea but backcombing does speed up the locking, but be careful not to do it too agressively. dramitically shortens the length of the dreds as well as adds more thickness to them, which u may or may not want depending on the look u want. but it will for sure lock in jst days or week after back combing. after back combing twist dred or rub gently in palm of hand.if u r considering it.

i only back combd a lilttle in the difficult areas that seem to b taking their time locking. id havewhole dredse dreds locked but others halfway and seperated in some spots but after i back combed those areas only, they locked pretty fast. was fluffy for fewdays but tightened up eventually. goodluck hope i could help. ;)

o also everyone sleeps on their favortive side ay even have more hair growing on one side than the other is nomal,so it will start off diffrent for everyone i wouldnt worry too much its so early ur baby dredies will all come eventually. if u bccomb or not ur choice, :)

Doogie
@doogie
12 years ago
321 posts
Palm rolling is also damaging dont matter how gentle you are! Youd be better off just washing 2-3 times a wk and let nature do its thing! Dont mess with your hair other than just washing and some seperating.
Baba Fats
@baba-fats
12 years ago
2,702 posts

Back combing does a lot of damage. I'm not against it as a whole. But if done aggressively, it will do too much damage. Also, it is only a starter method for a reason. Some people find that their back combed locks don't unravel as much, but it does happen. They do untangle, and the sections do move around. If you can avoid back combing, it's better to.

FourStrongWinds
@fourstrongwinds
12 years ago
13 posts

Thanks everyone! :)

/ 2
Dislike 0

Tags

comments powered by Disqus
privacy policy Contact Form