Like this page? Then share it!
dreadlocks shampoo
Dreadlocks Forums

How often should a newbie wash hair?!

FourStrongWinds
@fourstrongwinds
12 years ago
13 posts

Hey guys! I was just wonering how often a newbie like myself should wash my hair?! I have been washing everyday ever since I started using the pine tar soap. But then switched to Dr. Bronner's and a bar from dreadlockshampoo.com. I love the Dr. Bronner's and the bar from dreadlockshampoo.com. So I just figured there was no problem washing everyday. But I'm starting to wonder for new dreads if it is better to go a certain amount of days between washing?! I just figured the more you wash...thequicker it will dread up. Maybe I'm completely wrong in that assumption? Should I try like every 2-3 days. Before I learned about the pine tar soap and anti-residue shampoos. Another buddy of mine who used to have dreadssaid only wash itonceor twice everyday 2weeks?!? I don't think I could stand that. Lol. So I guess the question is...is there any harm in washing everyday for someone juststarting out? Or would it be better to wait a couple days in between?

updated by @fourstrongwinds: 02/14/15 07:30:03AM
FourStrongWinds
@fourstrongwinds
12 years ago
13 posts

The right side of my hair is dreading up nice...and it seems to be working it's way clockwise from the right side to the left. But the left side of my hair looks as though I just combed it. And not even a month and a half in. I'm not worried. Like I said. I love the all natural look/method and am determined to stick with it. But the 2 buddies I mentioned wanna backcomb my hair. This might be a dumb question. But backcombing is no longer all natural then right?!

DreadfulAmenita
@taby
12 years ago
80 posts

I'm a 1 month newbie, and I did the same research when I started and found that most people didn't encourage washing every day. I use Dr. Bronners mostly, and it leaves me feeling clean enough and not oily, that I just go until my scalp feels oily or dirty: 3-4 days. For locking up faster, I've been spraying sea salt water on my hair a few hours to a day before I wash, and that really seems to help it lock up. (I just pretend that I took a dip in the ocean.) I don't think you need to go 2 weeks before washing. That'd drive me crazy too.

FourStrongWinds
@fourstrongwinds
12 years ago
13 posts

Thanks Taby!

Myschyf
@myschyf
12 years ago
115 posts
Every 2-3 days is the common answer, but in reality, as long as your dreads are drying completely in between washes your fine.
Baba Fats
@baba-fats
12 years ago
2,702 posts

Baby locks dry faster than mature locks. So washing every day won't damage them. But it's better to get into a routine where you wash 2-3 times a week. As they mature, they hold water longer and therefore, take longer to dry. I wash my hair every 2-3 days and have no problem.

As for why the right side of your head is locking up nicely and the left side is lagging behind... I'll bet you mostly sleep on your right side. The side people sleep on is generally the side he progresses fastest. You can use sea salt rinses before your normal wash to help promote locking. Or you can section off sections of hair with beads of wraps. But no matter what, the left side will catch up

FourStrongWinds
@fourstrongwinds
12 years ago
13 posts

Thanks Myschyf and Baba!

jazzymomma
@jazzymomma
12 years ago
175 posts

FourStrongWinds said:

The right side of my hair is dreading up nice...and it seems to be working it's way clockwise from the right side to the left. But the left side of my hair looks as though I just combed it. And not even a month and a half in. I'm not worried. Like I said. I love the all natural look/method and am determined to stick with it. But the 2 buddies I mentioned wanna backcomb my hair. This might be a dumb question. But backcombing is no longer all natural then right?!

DreadfulAmenita
@taby
12 years ago
80 posts

My right side has been locking up faster than my left, but the left is catching up now, so don't worry too much. I wouldn't backcomb, personally, if you've made it this far without messing with them. It's more fun to let go of the control and let them do what they want. I've been sleeping with a loose tam the last few nights, and that does seem to help both sides catch up to one another, at least for me anyways.

jazzymomma
@jazzymomma
12 years ago
175 posts

well technically yea but backcombing does speed up the locking, but be careful not to do it too agressively. dramitically shortens the length of the dreds as well as adds more thickness to them, which u may or may not want depending on the look u want. but it will for sure lock in jst days or week after back combing. after back combing twist dred or rub gently in palm of hand.if u r considering it.

i only back combd a lilttle in the difficult areas that seem to b taking their time locking. id havewhole dredse dreds locked but others halfway and seperated in some spots but after i back combed those areas only, they locked pretty fast. was fluffy for fewdays but tightened up eventually. goodluck hope i could help. ;)

/ 2

Dislike 0

Tags

comments powered by Disqus
privacy policy Contact Form