Like this page? Then share it!
dreadlocks shampoo
Dreadlocks Forums

rough dreads

meakia miakinkoff-murzynsky
@meakia-miakinkoff-murzynsky
12 years ago
31 posts

Hey all, My dreads are about 5 months old now. They are really coming along nicely, Except, The half that is near my head is rough (they feel like they have little hooks like velcro). What in the world can I do about that? Is it something that will resolve as they mature more? Is that how dreads feel? I confess that I haven't ever touched anyone else's dreads.

updated by @meakia-miakinkoff-murzynsky: 08/20/21 04:09:11AM
☮ soaring eagle ॐ
@soaring-eagle
12 years ago
29,640 posts

did you crochet?

--
My new book Ban The Taboo Vol 1
☮ soaring eagle ॐ
@soaring-eagle
12 years ago
29,640 posts

doesnt say u crochetted but u root rubbed it could be the broken damaged hair from that

if you crochetted thats why

crochetted dreads feel like brillo all the broken hairs srartchy

i wouldnt think root rubbing would do as much but it can do a good bit of harm

--
calipark
@calipark
12 years ago
54 posts

i agree with se.

maybe there's some residue thats makin them feel rough? bs/acv /w essential oils. or neutrogena anti-residue if you want and then wait longer in between washes so your hair soaks up the oils to condition. or use bs/acv and essential oils in between. maybe cut back on sea water if you've been using that.

residue could be making already very-dry dreads get too tight and feel rough. removing that residue could help.

of course if you did crochet or root rub that could be the issue and you may just have to condition & deal with it.

Merek Privitt
@merek-privitt
12 years ago
13 posts

how did you form them? i backcombed (before i knew the truth about dhhq) and near the roots i have the same thing, i believe its from breakage of hairs from the backcombing. as they grow more youll start to notice it less

Baba Fats
@baba-fats
12 years ago
2,702 posts

Root rubbing would definitely cause them to be a bit rougher around the roots. You are breaking hairs left and right by turning your roots into brillo pads.

When you wash with BS/ACV, add some more essential oils like Jojoba, teatree or rosemary to help soften up your roots

Winston McClain2
@winston-mcclain2
12 years ago
2 posts
i know this is someone elses thread, but i have the exact opposite problem: ive been letting my hair dread naturally for the last 11 months or so after some t-n-r, but much of my hair is not knotting up much and parts that are seem stuck at a state if 1/4-1/3 length knotted. i use a bs solution wash with no conditioning or acv every 2-3 days, plus i spray sea salty water in my hair nearly every day to increase knottines and my hair is perpetually silky soft and wont knot up. i imagine that this soft hair issue is a "problem" many people would love to have, but it is making the dread progress more ellusive and somewhat annoying around my front hairline where a significant portion of loose and unknotted hair loves to fall in my eyes.any advice considering my regimen how to make my hair more rough and thus more inclined to knot up?
12 years ago
31 posts

Ok awesome. Thanks everyone. I did tnr in the beginning and had a whole lot of crossed hairs that broke when I separated them. That seems to be done with though so I guess the rough sections will grow out. I appreciate it bunches :0)

☮ soaring eagle ॐ
@soaring-eagle
12 years ago
29,640 posts

try switching what you wash with

Winston McClain said:

i know this is someone elses thread, but i have the exact opposite problem: ive been letting my hair dread naturally for the last 11 months or so after some t-n-r, but much of my hair is not knotting up much and parts that are seem stuck at a state if 1/4-1/3 length knotted. i use a bs solution wash with no conditioning or acv every 2-3 days, plus i spray sea salty water in my hair nearly every day to increase knottines and my hair is perpetually silky soft and wont knot up. i imagine that this soft hair issue is a "problem" many people would love to have, but it is making the dread progress more ellusive and somewhat annoying around my front hairline where a significant portion of loose and unknotted hair loves to fall in my eyes.

any advice considering my regimen how to make my hair more rough and thus more inclined to knot up?

--
11 years ago
31 posts

ok, so it's been 5 months, the tnr sections are all grown out to the tips, I don't root rub, I never crocheted, I don't use any products, no sea salt no wax, nothing. I wash with dr. bronners, and they are still rough!!! seriously? Maybe some sort of conditioner? I really don't want to start putting crap in my hair and have buildup, and stinkies. Not to mention that I like the very low maintenance approach. HELP!

updated by @meakia-miakinkoff-murzynsky: 07/21/15 06:03:12PM
 / 2

Dislike 0

Tags

comments powered by Disqus
privacy policy Contact Form