Like this page? Then share it!
dreadlocks shampoo
Dreadlocks Forums

Baby Dreads

Rain Francis
@rain-francis
12 years ago
11 posts

I just got my stuff twisted up about three weeks ago as I go on the journey on waiting for them to lock up. The top of my head is fine but it seems like the back of my head likes to come undone at night, is there any way to stop this from happening? I've been sleeping with a do rag on my head to keep them down but I've read that they aren't really good for locks, but I wonder what would be the best way to keep them together when I sleep. I'm going to try sleeping without the do rag tonight and hope I don't wake up with a fro.

updated by @rain-francis: 02/14/15 12:30:55PM
Rain Francis
@rain-francis
12 years ago
11 posts

Also note these are very small twists, using the comb coil method.

Baba Fats
@baba-fats
12 years ago
2,702 posts

Dreadlocks do not form from twists or back combing or TnR. They form from tangled and knotted hair. Your hair has to come undone a bit for this to happen. All sectioning your hair does is section your hair. It does not create locks. Them coming undone is necessary.

Depending on what side you sleep on, that side will knot up faster.

DreadfulAmenita
@taby
12 years ago
80 posts

I'm having the same issue. I sleep on my side, so that side is progressing faster, and the back is loose. I took some of the back out and re-tnr-ed them, but they're just loose again. They're slowly starting to knot up at the roots, though. I put some beads on the back so I won't mess with them. I used some sea salt water to rinse, and my hair seems to be holding tighter and more tangly.

Rain Francis
@rain-francis
12 years ago
11 posts

I've been retwisting constantly in order to keep them together.... Are you saying I should just let them be and not touch them at all? What about the do-rag? Should I sleep without one?

Baba Fats
@baba-fats
12 years ago
2,702 posts

Definitely don't twist anymore. And don't sleep or wear a do-rag. It's too tight. You don't want to wear anything on your head that is that tight. Do-rags, beanies, baseball caps. Tight hats slow down your process and force locks to grow flat. Some locks will naturally grow flatter, but they usually round out. But forcing them to grow flat won't help

Angel Frye
@angel-frye
12 years ago
409 posts

Make some homemade flax seed hair gel. I found that this helped me stop the 1 step forward and 3 steps back irritation. As time passed I used less and less of it because all the snarls are stayed. That flax seed hair gel is DIRT CHEAP to make!!!

Rain Francis
@rain-francis
12 years ago
11 posts

I really appreciate the advice and it is all definitely starting to make sense. I won't wear anything on my head in that case. As for the homemade flax seed hair gel how do you normally use that? do you just apply it without twisting or something else? Currently i have the resistent jamacian lock gel.

Angel Frye
@angel-frye
12 years ago
409 posts

What is in that stuff? If it has coconut oil or parafin or mineral oil stay the heck away from it. That'll soften your hair. Until your locks are established you really don't want to put anything it that'll soften it up. It'll also leave nasty residue on your hair that'll stay on the hair shaft forever and a day since you're not using regular clarifying shampoo anymore. You don't want that stuff inside your locks.

How to use flax seed hair gel: go with your gut instinct, basically. If your hair naturally wants to twist and is naturally curly/wavy then lightly(LIGHTLY!!!) twist it with a bit of the gel on our fingers while patting down the lock.90% of my hair twists and the other 10% tells me to fuck myself. It just doesn't twist. No how no way. No.. no... those lovely locks want to wave SIDEWAYS! lol. So they wave sideways and aren't spiral curls like all the rest on my head. Oh well. They're the rebels. This is a game of patience and learning what your hair is trying to tell you. If it doesn't naturally twist then don't force it to do anything. If it does, sometimes you'll have a clump of locks that want to go in one direction and this one that just has to be the odd one in the bunch and wants to twist in the opposite direction. Just go with it. Smooth a bit of the gel down your lock and leave it alone. Let it be natural and how it wants to be.

The day after the gel is applied to freshly washed hair is the BEST in my experience.

I've noticed that you can really smooth those outrageous fluffy roots from looking so crazy the first few months with flax seed hair gel. And the homemade stuff isn't watery and it's not really a GEL, per say. It's like... I don't know. It's like the consistency of raw egg whites. It also helps your hair to dry faster, in my opinion. Mega vitamins, too. It's a gel/fat from flax.

Put three drops of essential oil like lavender in it, whip it up, stick it in the refrigerator and you're good to go the next day when you wash your hair. I make a four oz jar that lasts me just under 2 weeks and that's washing every three days. That's when I like to use it the most. Freshly washed hair is crazy looking. After I wash it, I wrap my hair up in a towel to let it dry as much as possible(10 minutes max in the towel) and then go to work with the hair gel. You'll spend more time doing it the first few weeks than you ever will later on. As the locks mature you wont feel like you need to touch them with it unless you just want some aromatherapy. The roots are helped a great deal to tighten up with this stuff.

To get at the roots I tilt my head down parallel to the floor so my hair naturally parts straight down the back, rub some gel between my palms, and then pat/smooth some on my roots and down an inch or so. I shift my head over to the side a bit more and then shake my head to uncover the next natural part. Then I put some more gel on there. You'll get practiced at it. Make sure you get the hairs by the back of your neck and behind your ears!! Those are a pain to lock up; usually the last to do so because of natural oil and sweat.

I really need to make a vid how to make this stuff and use it. It's crazy easy once you get the hang of it but for someone faced with all the unknowns then looking at that jar of goop can be an unnerving experience. Now I can wash my hair in five minutes, let it dry in the towel for a little less than ten minutes, and then get the gel/loose twisting done in another ten. Twenty five minutes 2-3 times a week. Not bad for someone who hates dealing with their hair!! Sooo glad I learned how to make flax seed hair gel! It gives a smooth professional look to the roots while they're doing their thing and making nice knots.

☮ soaring eagle ॐ
@soaring-eagle
12 years ago
29,640 posts

all twisting all the time will do is make u bald in a hurry just leave em alone keep em clean and give em time

the loosening in yoir sleep will lead to tightening in your sleep as soon as u stop messing with them

--
My new book Ban The Taboo Vol 1
 / 2

Dislike 0

Tags

comments powered by Disqus
privacy policy Contact Form