Like this page? Then share it!
dreadlocks shampoo
Dreadlocks Forums

Coconut Oil Disaster

DreadfulAmenita
@taby
12 years ago
80 posts

For those who don't know, coconut oil is a fascinating thing. It does wonders for cooking, for your skin, for chapped lips, and even for hair... but not newly dreading, Caucasian hair.

From now on I'm not touching my head without consulting dreadlocksite. Period. I'm so frustrated with myself. Before I started dreading (2 weeks now), I had been doing conditioner only for my curly hair. "No Poo" movement. It was the best my curls were doing, but they were still unmanageable and annoying. Anyway, back then one of my favorite once-every-few-weeks things to put in my hair was coconut oil. Love the stuff! I was having bad dandruff this week (probably from my scalp's confusion of switching from only conditioner to only shampoo) and instead of waiting til I could go to the grocery store for baking soda, etc, I used a bit of coconut oil on my scalp for relief. Oh, it was so nice... I washed most of it out as per usual within an hour. But a few hours later I decided to check what dreadlocksite has to say about coconut oil, and, being a Caucasian, it turns out that was a BAD idea for baby dreads. So let me be a warning to those few who adore coconut oil and would consider putting the wonderful, but majorly conditioning, substance on their new dreads... don't do it. I feel like I lost a week's progress of locking on my roots. Also overnight I have tons of zigzags and loops from out of nowhere. I know we're told on here to embrace them, but I'm not quite there yet. They're stealing from my length sooner than I'd hoped, and I'm just barely at the length where I can put it up now. Anyway, that's my tale of woe. It's not all that bad. Not sure if I made the best decision, but when I washed the rest of the oil out after my belated research, I rinsed with sea salt water (which I did read was acceptable), hoping to make up for some of the conditioning I did overnight. (Go ahead and scold.... I'm braced for it.)

updated by @taby: 01/22/20 09:33:16AM
☮ soaring eagle ॐ
@soaring-eagle
12 years ago
29,639 posts

the salt probly helped with the dreading and got u ziggy zggy and shrinking (all good signs) so at most u maybe affected the roots ..which arent ready to tighten yet anyway

so i wouldnt call it a disaster

not a good idea..sure but u survived and learned and wont use it again till mature

--
My new book Ban The Taboo Vol 1
Castaway J
@castaway-j
12 years ago
585 posts

its ok, no worries, your only a coule weeks in and not like a year, so this should be easily fixed. there are only two trused methodes for forming new locks, the baking soda wash (no touch) with apple cider vinegar (otional somtimes). this tooke my scalp a while to adjust to but once you learn your oils to use and ammounts you need it becomes easier. experiment, have fun with it. its alla part of the learning process i thought :) happy dreading :D

DreadfulAmenita
@taby
12 years ago
80 posts

Thank you guys! I bought bs, so I'm going to stick to the plan now. The salt seemed to really pull together some of the looseness caused by the oil. Even if it's just temporary, I feel better now.

Dislike 0

Tags

comments powered by Disqus
privacy policy Contact Form