Like this page? Then share it!
dreadlocks shampoo
Dreadlocks Forums

dread maintenance

Jess7
@jess7
12 years ago
3 posts

hmmm... i read on this site that crocheting dreads isnt very good for them... how else do i get them to know up!?!?!... if i don't dread them myself, they literally just don't dread (tried it for a year and a half) also if i don't use the crochet hook, my hair will thin out surely? (i'm getting a few balding patches already :S !) all natural advice please! :)

updated by @jess7: 01/13/15 09:38:34PM
Baba Fats
@baba-fats
12 years ago
2,702 posts

Everyone's hair is different. Some takes longer to lock than others. It took me about a year to even see it start to change.

Crocheting completely destroys locks, though. And it is probably what is creating bald spots. When you crochet, you are pulling hair too tight and ripping it out of your scalp, as well as ripping the hair in your lock. This will thin out the root and create bald patches around the lock that was crocheted.

Once you have them started, you should only wash and separate.

What have you been washing with, and how have you been drying? That could and probably is the reason it seems to take so long when you tried before

☮ soaring eagle ॐ
@soaring-eagle
12 years ago
29,640 posts

your going bald from forcing them to be too tight

you wont go bald if u leave en alone

they absolutely will dread themselves if you let them what were u washing with and how and how were u drying

and what do u mean they werent dreading was it just a 1/2 inch loose at the roots?

u need that 1/2 inch so you wont go bald

--
My new book Ban The Taboo Vol 1
☮ soaring eagle ॐ
@soaring-eagle
12 years ago
29,640 posts

saw your page and its no mistery why its not dreading itself your not washing enough hair must be clean to dread

everytime u wash it dreads more

so throw the hook away y9u already did olenty of damage

let them recover and just

wash wash wash

then seperate as needed

nothing else ever

--
☮ soaring eagle ॐ
@soaring-eagle
12 years ago
29,640 posts

my dreads after 22 years of doing nothing at all but washing no signs of thinning what soever

crochet dreads 1 day old already showing thinning

they will not thin if you dont make them thin by forcing them to be tighter then they naturaly should be

--

updated by @soaring-eagle: 02/05/15 10:12:49AM
Jess7
@jess7
12 years ago
3 posts

cool thanks man :) ive had them for 3 years and the first year and a half they weren't touched yet i got a bald patch at the front... could also be from where i slept on one side all the time maybe? the top had about inch, inch and half or more of normal hair and it was quite painful as i could feel them constantly pulling, although it could be just because i was getting used to the weight etc?

i was them once every 6 weeks or so man and was washing them with some dread shampoo but i've run out now and can't really afford the 12pounds a bottle so the last few washes have just been normal shampoo... apart from that i haven't added anything to my hair (apart from the wraps), not one for wax and stuff!

is there anything i can do to them because i have a tendancy to twist and pull them etc subconciously and love playing with them :)

Jess7
@jess7
12 years ago
3 posts

i wash my hair and then normally rinse it in about 3 basins of water, always finishing with a cold basin of water... helps the pores close up and soothes the scalp... i have some kari-sun for the ends of my dreads when they get dry, i seldom use it (maybe used it 3 or 4 times) as im worried about the sun damage on my hair... it gets really dry and brittle after being out in the sun! should i use this or should i leave them all natural? (my preference is to do nothing to them man)

how long were yours when you first got them?.... mine have trippled in length on three years :)

Mons
@mons
12 years ago
518 posts
Just leave them alone. You should increase the washes tho. At least twice a week. If you're out of shampoo, use baking soda rinse. Regular shampoo will leave a residue inside your locks that is pretty nasty. If you switch to baking soda/apple cider vinegar rinses a couple times a week, your whole head will be nice and soft, no dry ends etc. if you can afford it, dreadlockshampoo.com products are amazing, they get you scalp and hair super clean and they smell wonderful.
☮ soaring eagle ॐ
@soaring-eagle
12 years ago
29,640 posts

yea u should be washing alot more

mine i started short i just went camping and let ot dread at most had a few beads and wraps here and tghere

u shouldnt do anything but wash and seperate as needed

just keep em ckean and happy

do 3 baking soda acv waashes this week at least 2 next and then try to keep it at least 1-3 times a week after

if u could aford a few of those dreadlockshampoo.com bars u should they are amazing and keep your dreads super healthy

lose the hook completely..throw it i the trash if u play with em pet em dont twist em be lil gentle on em awhile

--
Dislike 0

Tags

comments powered by Disqus
privacy policy Contact Form