Like this page? Then share it!
dreadlocks shampoo
Dreadlocks Forums

How long will it take for my hair to start locking up??

Natalie Montano
@natalie-montano
12 years ago
7 posts

It's been about a week since i back combed my hair into dreads and of course they dont look like dreads at all yet.. just messy thick clumps of hair. How long before i start noticing dreading and they start looking like actual dreads? And i should just leave them alone right? what about frizziness?

updated by @natalie-montano: 01/13/15 09:38:29PM
Ixchel
@ixchel
12 years ago
597 posts

it really varies, some peoples hair will knot & look dready faster than others, no real way to tell just give em time & wait to see. you can look through other backcomb timelines for similar hair types to give you an idea but it still is on an individual basis. just wash them 2-3 times a week & separate them if the sections are clumping together too big for your liking/comfort. frizziness will calm down after they start to lock but there will always be a bit of frizz to them, if you need to have them looking "nice" for an event or something you can use the dreadlockshampoo.com locking gel to tame them down or aloe (but aloe is conditioning so use very little for baby dreads).

☮ soaring eagle ॐ
@soaring-eagle
12 years ago
29,640 posts

leave em alone ingnore all frizzies dreads take months to begin to look like creads usualy

--
My new book Ban The Taboo Vol 1
Baba Fats
@baba-fats
12 years ago
2,702 posts

There are 1001 factors that go into how each and every persons hair locks up. Even hair of the same type may form at different rates.

On average, mature locks form around 1 year. But some people like Ixchel and me didn't see much happen until 8 months. I didn't see anything until 1 year.

Just wash and separate. You can add beads to your sections in order to help promote more knotting.

Natalie Montano
@natalie-montano
12 years ago
7 posts

awesome! yeah i know patience is the main thing you need when starting the dreading journey and i have plenty of it! what kinda stores sell tams and beads for dreads?

Ixchel
@ixchel
12 years ago
597 posts

you can check in the classifieds/stores section of this site or etsy is a common one.

Natalie Montano said:

awesome! yeah i know patience is the main thing you need when starting the dreading journey and i have plenty of it! what kinda stores sell tams and beads for dreads?

Ixchel
@ixchel
12 years ago
597 posts

yeah i got my first bunches of beads at Joanns, michaels & hobby lobby also have some!

Amanda said:

If you go to Joann Fabric there is a great selection of beads there! If you don't have that store in your area, you can go to the website or you can check any local craft stores for beads. That is just the frugal method :)

Natalie Montano said:

Mons
@mons
12 years ago
518 posts
I back combed my hair too. I posted a couple pics of them at about 6 weeks I think. That may give you an idea of what to expect. Keep in mind tho, I had to pull them back for work. I think because of that all the loopies settled at the ends. That caused me a lot of frustration.
Dislike 0

Tags

comments powered by Disqus
privacy policy Contact Form