Like this page? Then share it!
dreadlocks shampoo
Dreadlocks Forums

Keeping your dreads back while at work?

Teddyjo
@teddyjo
12 years ago
106 posts

im going to be a nurse and im going to have to wear my dreads back to keep em outta my face. My question for all of you is what is the best way to do this? "best" meaning which way wouldnt affect my roots and still allow my hair to dread properly. I saw a guy with matured natural dreads that were down all of his back and he kept a hair tie to wear them back. His hair, above the hair tie, (closest to the scalp) looked almost completely undreaded. is this most likely because he wore a hair tie all the time causing his roots not to move freely? thus not dreading? so should i just tie them back with other dreads when the time comes? or is using a loose headband a better option? would wearing a hair tie while just at work be acceptable to allow my hair to dread/stay dreaded? thanks

updated by @teddyjo: 01/13/15 09:37:06PM
Lisa Wade
@lisa-wade
12 years ago
20 posts

I had a similar issue with work, but my dreads had to be completely up, so I wore a bun. I didn't have any trouble getting my hair to knot at the roots. When not at work my dreads are out...sleep with them out...so no problems. I think what ever your work wants, either a hair tie or the headband shouldn't mess up your dreads, just keep it loose. Anyway, that's what has worked for me. Good Luck.

Star Gryphon
@star-gryphon
12 years ago
190 posts

I wear my hair up for work most of the time and it has dreaded up to the roots. Although it's healthy if it isn't dreaded all the way up to the scalp. This allows you to actually wash your scalp and feels nicer cause your hair isn't constantly feeling like it's being pulled. Because of the loose hairs I have...when it's up it doesn't seem like its as dreaded as it really is...but..I don't worry about what other people think.

After my daughter was born, one of the nurses on our floor had dreads. Hers were of the natural variety too. Her co-workers never showed a problem with them from what I saw. Not sure if that's because we live in Portland, OR. Our hospital and NICU was also VERY pro breast feeding and natural vaginal birth.... Not sure if those types of things go along with acceptable hair styles of nursing staff...

Castaway J
@castaway-j
12 years ago
585 posts

what i have been doing it taking some locks from behind my ears and wrapping them around and tieing them in back sortof. two from each side so two ties. it looks nice, and everything still remains loose enough for me to be satisfied :) good luck!

Kelsey Cliche!
@kelsey-cliche
12 years ago
122 posts
I have to wear mine tied back for work. It may slow down the process but my hair is still knotting up higher than the hair tie. The only thing is after awhile it hurts my scalp if the ponytail is too tight...so I've been doing more loose braids and low ponytails.
Dislike 0

Tags

comments powered by Disqus
privacy policy Contact Form