Like this page? Then share it!
dreadlocks shampoo
Dreadlocks Forums

wearing baby dreads in a ponytail??

Skully
@skully
12 years ago
23 posts

So when I go out places, I usually wear my hair in a ponytaildue to crazy messiness (they are only a month old). I have heard 2 different stories about wearing them in ponytail. Doesit help with the dreading process or hurt the dreading process? Also, just wanted to say I look on the forums here everyday but due to my phone being old, I'm not able to sign in and talk to anyone. YOU GUYS ROCK! I love all the info you guys have on here!

updated by @skully: 02/14/15 07:15:45AM
☮ soaring eagle ॐ
@soaring-eagle
12 years ago
29,640 posts

it slows it but also encourages congos

--
My new book Ban The Taboo Vol 1
Joey5
@joey5
12 years ago
83 posts
I use a shoelace tied really loose to hold my babies back for work. It barely holds them in place putting minimal tension on them. And even like this i've seen slower progress in the front.
Mons
@mons
12 years ago
518 posts
Leave them free as much as possible. If you feel you absolutely must have them pulled back do it as loose as possible. Like Joey said, a shoelace, a strip of t-shirt material, an over stretched pony band. Aside from slowing progress, having your dreads pulled back too much/too tight
Mons
@mons
12 years ago
518 posts
(Oopsie!) having them pulled back too much can cause knots to kind of slide down the dread causing big thick knotty knobs at the ends. I know this from experience.
Star Gryphon
@star-gryphon
12 years ago
190 posts

Wow! I totally have knobs on the end of my ropes!

Wearing your hair up in a pony tail will definitely slow down the process. I've also noticed that the free hair on the hairline around your face will have a very difficult time knotting up. Even though I knew I needed to wear my hair down as often as possible I had to wear up for work due to health code rules about those who prepare and serve food to the public. The bands that I used are the elastic head bands, but work great to hold your locks out of your face until they are long enough to tie up with the aid of other dreads.

Although wearing your hair down and free of being tied up can be hot and bothersome. I also am learning to not be annoyed by my hair when it is down.

One idea that I've seen a ton of friends do is to wear a bandana on their head. This allows most of your hair to be down and also helps to hide some of the crazy messiness going on. Other friends swear by their tams to put away their hair in those beginning stages and have said it knots up faster than just leaving it free flowing and down.

I'm honestly still guilty of putting my hair in a pony tail or wrapping it up in a bun to keep it from getting all over the place.

Reppyboyo
@reppyboyo
12 years ago
26 posts

I wear a tam most of the time to cover up the crazyness on the top of my head at the moment.

Mama Jme
@mama-jme
12 years ago
22 posts
I wasamalgams also wondering about this!
hayley *:・゚✧
@hayley
11 years ago
10 posts

my dreads will be 2 weeks old on thursday. but i had to completely redo the lower back of my head because i wore my hair in a ponytail at work. my hair is pretty short. and i was mostly just selfconsciousabout wearing it down at work. my dreads on the back of my head completely came out and returned to normal straight hair. and while i know to just leave them alone, last night i twist and ripped the straight, undreaded hair. so now i have dreads that are growing a week a part.

the Barrellady
@the-barrellady
11 years ago
1,302 posts

Hayley Sweetie, you should not re-twist hair. It may cause weakening of the strands, and never do them tight. When you do the twist & rip method, they are not dreads, but a blueprint to where you want your sections to be. Those T&R sections need to loosen up in order to do their journey to becoming mature dreads. The process is they will loosen, some even fall out (not the hair but the T&R), the sections will loop, shrink, zig, zag and do any other crazy things they decide to do. By the time they are finished, they will be the thickness of the section at the scalp. So right now your sections lower down are skinnier than where it meets the scalp. That will change, but you have to allow it to change. Re-twisting just keeps putting you back to the beginning with that section.

Biotin can be found at your local drug store in the vitamin section, it is $cheap, it promotes hair growth, just take for 3 months. Hair under 6 inches is harder to dreads, takes longer.

hayley bethune said:

my dreads will be 2 weeks old on thursday. but i had to completely redo the lower back of my head because i wore my hair in a ponytail at work. my hair is pretty short. and i was mostly just selfconsciousabout wearing it down at work. my dreads on the back of my head completely came out and returned to normal straight hair. and while i know to just leave them alone, last night i twist and ripped the straight, undreaded hair. so now i have dreads that are growing a week a part.

/ 2

Dislike 0

Tags

comments powered by Disqus
privacy policy Contact Form