Like this page? Then share it!
dreadlocks shampoo
Dreadlocks Forums

Hemp String?

vtown_dub
@vtown-dub
12 years ago
4 posts

Hello everyone! I was wondering if anyone has used hemp string or any other kind of string to either start dreads for sectioning roots or to maintain roots? Would it be possible to section hair with string and let dreads to form naturally without tnr? And then as roots grow out, retie the roots to train new growth into formed dreads? I

updated by @vtown-dub: 01/13/15 09:36:14PM
Ixchel
@ixchel
12 years ago
597 posts

it's fine to use wraps to help but you may want to change them often. hair can eat the string if it's dreading quickly & wraps will keep that section skinny & not allow it to move much so i suggest changing wraps around often, using open wraps, & only wrapping small sections of the dread. beads are normally a better option but if beads won't stay wraps can work until they do. use unpolished hemp (polished means waxed & you don't want that anywhere near your dreads) or embroidery thread. some people use different yarns but some yarn can leave fuzzies &/or felt/shrink into a dread so be careful with it.

christina popejoy
@christina-popejoy
12 years ago
91 posts

I have used hemp cord in the same wrap for the past 3- 4 months. I definatley thing the criss cross one would be better. I decided to do a closed one and that section is thin, I also dont know if it has dreaded, (when I put it in the hair was undreaded.) Does anyone think I should take it out and let it thicken up?? or change it to cross cross, I like using hemp, but make sure you get un waxed hemp cord if you do decide to start a wrap. discussions/8001-9000/8000-Photoon05072012at14.39.jpg?width=737&height=491

updated by @christina-popejoy: 02/05/15 10:12:49AM
vtown_dub
@vtown-dub
12 years ago
4 posts

thank you for all the info, but i was asking specifically about sectioning and tieing the base of the dread and roots like how some people use rubberbands to section. I don't like the rubberband idea so I thought string would be better? Andwould the hair dread naturally if I left thehair alone but sectioned at the base with string?

Ixchel
@ixchel
12 years ago
597 posts

like i said it could dread, but the string will prevent a certain amount of movement that is required. so you'd want to keep them loose/open/small sections of the dread &/or switch them often. & if it does dread up that way it could eat the string. it'd be easier to just use beads to help the sections & dread naturally that way. or just not bother with it at all & just separate as you need to.

vtown_dub said:

thank you for all the info, but i was asking specifically about sectioning and tieing the base of the dread and roots like how some people use rubberbands to section. I don't like the rubberband idea so I thought string would be better? Andwould the hair dread naturally if I left thehair alone but sectioned at the base with string?

vtown_dub
@vtown-dub
12 years ago
4 posts

awesome... thanks for the advice, i'll try that and see what happens!

Dislike 0

Tags

comments powered by Disqus
privacy policy Contact Form