Like this page? Then share it!
dreadlocks shampoo
Dreadlocks Forums

Washing dreads with just water and essential oils?

Kika Moonh
@kika-moonh
12 years ago
33 posts
Hi guys! Is it possible to clean dreads with just water and essential oils? I find the baking soda wash drys my scalp terribly but I don't want funky smelling hair!
updated by @kika-moonh: 01/13/15 09:35:55PM
Kelly3
@kelly3
12 years ago
333 posts

You need to use the ACV wash afterwards. This brings the PH back to balance. If you can't find ACV then normal distilled malt vinegar will do the job. Also, try to use a very cold rinse to help eliminate dandruff and itch. Additionally, I just a plain water/ essential oil mix at the very end, which I leave in. It leaves my hair smelling lovely for hours.

If none of this works, you can always buy the dreads shampoo from http://shop.dreadlockshampoo.com/

Or, Dr Bronners http://www.drbronner.com/

Although, for Dr B you need to make sure you DO NOT have hard water.

KnotLady
@knotlady
12 years ago
300 posts

also, i was using the bs/acv rinse made with chamomile tea(to lighten my hair) and also peppermint tea instead of water. i do 5 cups to 1/2 cup baking soda, let sitfor 3-5 minutes,some sea salt,and a capful apple cider vinegar in 5 cups water, then i immediately rinse it out because it can be too conditioning. i stopped using the tea (out of laziness) and have noticed an increase of dandruff/scalp sensitivity. so try also using some peppermint tea. Rosemary darkens hair, chamomile lightens, lavender is good for the skin. so try something like that if you dont wanna buy the shampoo.

KnotLady
@knotlady
12 years ago
300 posts

try adding grapefruit or another citrus oil for cleaning. peppermint, tea tree, rosemary are good oils for dandruff or itching.

Kika Moonh
@kika-moonh
12 years ago
33 posts
Thanks for all the help! Will definitely try the ACV and the tea. Then maybe spray some sea salt on just to help the dreadies lock up! I love this forum everyone is so happy and helpful:)
Dislike 0

Tags

comments powered by Disqus
privacy policy Contact Form