Like this page? Then share it!
dreadlocks shampoo
Dreadlocks Forums

ITCHY! :(

Gemma
@gemma
12 years ago
16 posts

I haven't combed my hair in two and a half weeks and have been washing with BS/Oils and ACV regularly, but my scalp is sooo itchy and very flaky :'(

I suppose my scalp is adjusting, but i feel dirty when i sit there scratching my head, its not very pleasant.

Should ibe doing something differently and will my scalp adjust in time and stop this horrible itching!?

Thank you!

updated by @gemma: 04/06/18 12:15:13PM
Baba Fats
@baba-fats
12 years ago
2,702 posts

How are you washing? What ratios of BS and ACV? are you rinsing the BS out before you do the ACV rinse?

Gemma
@gemma
12 years ago
16 posts

I have a mixing bowl size of water with two small lid-scoops of BS to which i add the oils. I leave that in for several minutes and stand under the shower for a good while rinsing, my showers such crappy pressure so it seems to take forever to get it all out. I then wash the vinegar (one small lid-ful to a big jug of water) through.

I put more vinegar in first time and it made my hair really loose and fluffy so i am putting less in now. I'm not sure if i'm using too much BS, or if it is not rinsing properly (sometimes the tips of my hair feels quite clogged up) - but even so thats not on my scalp :(

Baba Fats
@baba-fats
12 years ago
2,702 posts

"A big mixing bowl" doesn't really help much. The best mixture is between 5 Tbls - 1/2 cup of BS to 5 cups of water. Then about 1/2 tbls - 1 tbls ACV to 5 cups of water.
ACV does tend to unravle locks a bit. It's an acid. But it's needed to reset the pH of your scalp.

What oils do you use? Peppermint is great for relieving itchies

Gemma
@gemma
12 years ago
16 posts

I use Tea Tree and Lavender, i just bought some Rosemary too so i'll test that on my skin soon. I can't use peppermint oil because itcan bedangerous around babies (i have a one year old daughter).

I use a big standard mixing bowl, i've not measured it out exactly, but i think i amusing too much BS according to your measurements, next wash later i will reduce the amount and see if it relives this itching!

Thank you!

Baba Fats
@baba-fats
12 years ago
2,702 posts

Yeah. BS is a base. If you use too much, it will make you itch terribly.

How's peppermint dangerous? I know it's strong. Too much can actually burn you. But if you kept it out of reach? or is the smell of it bad for them?

Gemma
@gemma
12 years ago
16 posts

I remember reading it in pregnancy, it shouldn't be used on babies for any reason and if they breathe it in it can cause respiratory problems. Of course its more a case of 'don't let them smell the stuff out of the bottle', but i wouldn't particularly want it on my head when i carry her close to my hair all the time :)

Baba Fats
@baba-fats
12 years ago
2,702 posts

Completely understood. I didn't know that. I know it's pungent. But I didn't know about it with kids. Thanks for telling me. My wife and I are thinking about having kids in the near future

Gemma
@gemma
12 years ago
16 posts

No worries at all :)

Dislike 0

Tags

comments powered by Disqus
privacy policy Contact Form