Like this page? Then share it!
dreadlocks shampoo
Dreadlocks Forums

Hair dreading too close to the scalp

Aya Heartright
@aya-heartright
12 years ago
91 posts

I always heard that hair naturally will dread about 1 inch to 1/4 inch to the scalp... usually there is enough room to like stick your finger in through the root before the dread starts. In some places on my scalp this is the case but in others, especially on the top of my head this is not. In some places my dreads come all the way up to the scalp to the point that it can't even move around a lot without feeling like its being pulled. Should I do more of a conditioning treatment? Right now all I do is wash with dr. b's and do an bs acv rinse once a month. I don't root rub, or do any other type ofmaintenance. A few months ago I had my strays tucked in by a friend but I don't think she did anything to the parts that I am mentioning since I've had this issue since month 4 and atm I am 11 months dreading :)

any help would be appreciated.

updated by @aya-heartright: 02/14/15 08:48:30AM
☮ soaring eagle ॐ
@soaring-eagle
12 years ago
29,640 posts

howed she stick in the loosies im betting that is a big part of the problem

how were they started too to have to]ight roots at 4 months is extremely unusual usualy they are moe like \3 inches then

how thick are they at the roots?

--
My new book Ban The Taboo Vol 1
Aya Heartright
@aya-heartright
12 years ago
91 posts

I started tnr with about 1 inch sections. not sure what they are not since they kind of did their own thing and I have more of a variation on size than what i started with. I guess ranging from 2 inches to a quarter inch, probably.

☮ soaring eagle ॐ
@soaring-eagle
12 years ago
29,640 posts

2 inch is huge and in that case i can see that happening 2 inches is gonna be a really big dread and will take extra care to take care of and will have special problems due to its size so its probly cause they are so big

--
Aya Heartright
@aya-heartright
12 years ago
91 posts

hmmm... It seems to be mostly my small dreads on the top of my head that I have that issue with. The only thing I can think of is that I roll around a lot in my sleep and that kind of makes it seem like I root rub because I'm moving around so much?

Aya Heartright
@aya-heartright
12 years ago
91 posts

hmmm... its mostly the small ones on the top of my head that I am having this issue with. My only guess is that it is because I roll around a lot in my sleep its kind of the same as root rubbing??? I'm not too sure.

My hair has always matted at the root really well too. Before I dreaded I would wake up in the morning with a big matt on the sides of my heads.

☮ soaring eagle ॐ
@soaring-eagle
12 years ago
29,640 posts

could be whats your pillow case made outta?

if wool try something like silk or satin

jut an idea anyway

--
Aya Heartright
@aya-heartright
12 years ago
91 posts

cheap ass cotton blend, probably.

☮ soaring eagle ॐ
@soaring-eagle
12 years ago
29,640 posts

u take melatonin or anything to help u sleep?

--
Lapis Angela Lazuli
@lapis-angela-lazuli
12 years ago
76 posts
I have the same problem. I think i might have tnr too close to the scalp, since my hair was short when I started. and I only have this problem near the top of my head too. its been 6 months since I started, and still less than 1/2 inch of loose hair at the scalp near the top of my head :( and it feels uncomfortable when I pull on them. is there anything I can do to loosen up the roots?no maintenance, by the way.
 / 2

Dislike 0

Tags

comments powered by Disqus
privacy policy Contact Form