Like this page? Then share it!
dreadlocks shampoo
Dreadlocks Forums

2.5 weeks w/out washing

Dreaded Shredder
@dreaded-shredder
12 years ago
25 posts

Just wanted to throw this out there and see if anyone else goes 2ish weeks without washing? in 17 days I've washed my bangs 3 times... but left my dreads alone. My scalp is fine, a tad itchy right now, but I'm planning on washing today.

Prior to dreading I washed my hair every 10-14 days anyways. I have dry curly hair and it seems to work for me. Am I the only one? I know washing is great for knotting and what-not. I've read lots on dread care, but just can't seem to find a reason to wash when my hair isn't gross/oily/itchy/smelly. Plus, I'm lazy! I even have asked my friends to smell my hair and everyone is amazed that it smells fine. lol. Lucky me?

Please advise. :) cheers

updated by @dreaded-shredder: 01/13/15 09:34:48PM
Baba Fats
@baba-fats
12 years ago
2,702 posts

You can take a shower once a week or less, and not smell. As you go, your body gets used to not producing the same amount of oils. BO becomes almost non-existent. It doesn't mean your still clean.

So just because your hair doesn't feel itchy, or get oily, or smell, doesn't mean it's just as clean as it ever was. A dirty scalp is just not conducive to healthy hair or locks.

Dreaded Shredder
@dreaded-shredder
12 years ago
25 posts

food for thought :) I'll try and up the washing :)

Xephyre (Nae)
@xephyre-nae
12 years ago
26 posts
Thank goodness! I thought I was weird for not washing my hair that often!! It doesn't stink and stuff! So y not uni
taye
@taye
12 years ago
833 posts

My house is very old and hard to heat. In the winter I do not wash my dreads as often because it is just too cold to be wet for hours. I actually find ice in my bathtub on the coldest days from letting a stream of water run so the pipes do not freeze. In the warmer months I wash at LEAST once a week...sometimes as often as 3 times a week. I love to go outside and let the sun dry my hair!!

Snakehair
@snakehair
12 years ago
1 posts

At first, I went a few MONTHS without washing my hair. It was alright.. your scalp does get used to it. But after a while I sort of couldn't take it anymore, so I washed it with Dr. Bronners shampoo. And it felt soooo amazing to have a clean scalp! I now wash it every 10-ish days, and it's fine! I have very dry hair too, so it's perfectly fine! It's just up to personal preference. I know people who don't wash their hair at all... and the scalp gets used to it if you can stand it! :)

Sheribaby
@sheribaby
12 years ago
30 posts

I probably washed about every 3-4 weeks through winter - didn't feel the need to wash it as often - but in summer if i go outside and do yardwork or ride my horses or go bushwalking and get all sweaty - i definitely wash them - or I'll spend all night scratching my scalp - otherwise its only once a week at the most.

Austin Mann
@austin-mann
12 years ago
19 posts

I used to wash every 2-3 weeks and it was fine and didnt smell and the itchingprogressively went away but now i wash at least 2 times a week. Your dreads will feel so much better as will your scalp, and you'll notice a lot more progress.

Dreaded Shredder
@dreaded-shredder
12 years ago
25 posts

I'm so happy to have written this original post. Its nice to feel out different opinions and see what others prefer. I tried to wash my hair more frequently, but it's just not happening. I actually think it makes my scalp less healthy and more irritated and grossly dry. As is, I have to put olive oil on my tips every other day just to keep them from becoming brittle (as Jessica Reyes put it). I'm washing about every 10 days. Seems to work for me :) cheers

Alicia S
@alicia-s
12 years ago
32 posts
I've only been dreading a little over a week. Before I started my hair only needed to be washed anywhere from once A week to once a month. I was using natural hair methods and my hair just didn't need to be washed much. But when I started leaving it down to dread naturally I noticed it needs washing every few days. I'm guessing that since brushing spreads the natural oils that not brushing allows the oils to build up on the scalp and requires washing more often. But I'm always inclined to say wash when it needs it and if that honestly isnt that often then dont wash that often.
Dislike 0

Tags

comments powered by Disqus
privacy policy Contact Form