Like this page? Then share it!
dreadlocks shampoo
Dreadlocks Forums

Another question about tams....

Diamondskies
@diamondskies
15 years ago
51 posts
I know that a good tam will help my hair lock faster, and that wool is best, but sheep wool gives me a really gnarly rash for a couple days after it's touched my skin, so I can't very well use a wool tam. So then, the question is, do you think that alpaca will work as effectively? We have a litttle shop downtown where I can get alpaca yarn, they raise the alpacas, shave them, they even hand spin/dye they yarn right in the shop, so I can get it easily, but I don't want to go spend the extra money if it won't work any better than cotton.... Whatcha think?
updated by @diamondskies: 01/13/15 08:29:14PM
Iain
@iain
15 years ago
844 posts
I've never been able to compare results, but for me I have a 99cent beanie from walmart that has been working fine for me,, it falls off in my sleep tho.aesthetically however, I can say I'd probably prefer the alpaca.
Lonnie Berg
@lonnie-berg
15 years ago
219 posts
Alpaca yarn is technically wool, but more resembles hair with no lanolin which makes it hypoallergenic. I'd give it a try, if it does good for ya I'll have ya make me one too. Love Ya
Diamondskies
@diamondskies
15 years ago
51 posts
Thanks guys! I'm gonna go ahead and try it. It can't hurt! Lonnie, I'll make you one anyway!! Alpaca is sooo soft, it will be like I'm hugging your head every time you put it on!! Love ya bunches!!
Lonnie Berg
@lonnie-berg
15 years ago
219 posts
There's nothing I'd like better than a HUG from YOU!!!!!!! Diamondskies said:
Thanks guys! I'm gonna go ahead and try it. It can't hurt! Lonnie, I'll make you one anyway!! Alpaca is sooo soft, it will be like I'm hugging your head every time you put it on!! Love ya bunches!!
Shannon Rose
@shannon-rose
15 years ago
11 posts
hey, we have a lady near us that has alpaca's and does the yarn thing. it is soooo soft. a friend of mine made me a tam out of regular acrylic yarn. i wore it to bed and it gave me bad dreams (at least i'm pretty sure that's what did it). she also made me another out of soy silk and a crochette head scarf out of corn silk ("amaizing yarn"). those are really nice, and not so hot.
Diamondskies
@diamondskies
15 years ago
51 posts
I could see acrylic yarn causing some bad dreams, the plastics and other nasty chemicals used to make that acrylic don't really make for great dreams, and when you put them directly over your head, it would have to have an impact on the energies coming in that effect your dreams. Alpaca wool is about as soft as the alpacas are cute!! I absolutely adore those critters!! You couldn't help but have better dreams when thier cute little faces are hanging around your head!! Where did she find soy silk yarn? That sounds great for summer time! Shannon Rose said:
hey, we have a lady near us that has alpaca's and does the yarn thing. it is soooo soft. a friend of mine made me a tam out of regular acrylic yarn. i wore it to bed and it gave me bad dreams (at least i'm pretty sure that's what did it). she also made me another out of soy silk and a crochette head scarf out of corn silk ("amaizing yarn"). those are really nice, and not so hot.
Diamondskies
@diamondskies
15 years ago
51 posts
I'll have to see what I can do about getting you an alpaca tam too!! Something that's soft and fuzzy and stays on when you're sleeping! Iain said:
I've never been able to compare results, but for me I have a 99cent beanie from walmart that has been working fine for me,, it falls off in my sleep tho.

aesthetically however, I can say I'd probably prefer the alpaca.
Chuck R
@chuck-r
15 years ago
19 posts
I have a nice soft hemp tam. Works great.
live.love.be.believe.
@livelovebebelieve
15 years ago
13 posts
We just got Hemp tams @ spencer's where i work and i was wondering if hemp is good. I think I'm going to buy it this weekend unless i hear anything negative about it. Chuck R said:
I have a nice soft hemp tam. Works great.
Dislike 0

Tags

comments powered by Disqus
privacy policy Contact Form