Like this page? Then share it!
dreadlocks shampoo
Dreadlocks Forums

A bit confused when using Baking soda and sea salt mixture

Doogie
@doogie
12 years ago
321 posts

Ok, so I've been reading on the use of BS/ACV and sea salt. What confuses me is that everyone says to use the ACV rinse when ya do the BS wash because of Ph balance and ppl say not to use the ACV when using sea salt in with the BS cause it conditions. So, can we sum this up some please? I might just be rambling but I want to know! I've been using the BS(with sea salt every now and then)/ACV rinse since I came across this site over a year and a half ago but have swithched to the dreadlock shampoo bars about 2 months ago and I liked the sea salt and the way it really jump started my dreads after I cut off those waxed backcombed things back in Oct. after a year of trying to remove the wax without avail so I cut them and started over natural.

Any help/insight on this would be very appriciated! Thank you

updated by @doogie: 01/13/15 09:34:07PM
Baba Fats
@baba-fats
12 years ago
2,702 posts

I use the BS/ACV wash every 2-3 days. I have almost always used the sea salt with the BS wash, and then done the ACV rinse after every wash. Never had a problem.

But I did come across a post earlier today about someone using sea salt that contained E536 (Potassium Ferrocyanide) as an anti-caking agent. Not every sea salt uses E536, but you should check if yours does. Mine uses a different agent that is not even listed as food-safe.

E536 is very toxic when it mixes with vinegar. It releases hydrogen cyanide gas. Be very careful when you buy your sea salt. Most probably do contain anti-caking agent, but you can at least look into which ones are safe for the purposes you are using it for.

Myschyf
@myschyf
12 years ago
115 posts
Bs opens your cuticle on your hair, letting water in for a deep clean. Which is why it fades hair dye. Acv closes the cuticle. It also restores the ph balance to your scalp Salt causes your hair to dry out as it sucks the moisture out if your hair because salt is a dehydrator (think ancient mummies preserved by being packed in salt) which makes your hair more coarse. And if you get it on your scalp you get the itchiness cause it's trying to mummify your scalp :p
Baba Fats
@baba-fats
12 years ago
2,702 posts

I forgot to mention that too... Your hair and scalp as slightly acidic. BS is a base, which means that alone, it will raise your pH level slightly. ACV is acetic acid. It's a weak acid that will restore that higher pH back to normal ranges when you rinse with it. Even though it does act like a conditioner, it is necessary to maintain the health of your scalp and hair

Doogie
@doogie
12 years ago
321 posts

Yeah I read that and seen your reply that yours has the calcium stuff and I checked mine and mine uses that calcium stuff as the anti caking!

Baba Fats said:

I use the BS/ACV wash every 2-3 days. I have almost always used the sea salt with the BS wash, and then done the ACV rinse after every wash. Never had a problem.

But I did come across a post earlier today about someone using sea salt that contained E536 (Potassium Ferrocyanide) as an anti-caking agent. Not every sea salt uses E536, but you should check if yours does. Mine uses a different agent that is not even listed as food-safe.

E536 is very toxic when it mixes with vinegar. It releases hydrogen cyanide gas. Be very careful when you buy your sea salt. Most probably do contain anti-caking agent, but you can at least look into which ones are safe for the purposes you are using it for.

Doogie
@doogie
12 years ago
321 posts

This I already know! I'm just trying to figure out why ppl saynot to use the ACV when you use sea salt cause the ACV conditions! I even remember SE saying this in a post some mths ago and I forgot to respond to that!!

Jen said:

Bs opens your cuticle on your hair, letting water in for a deep clean. Which is why it fades hair dye. Acv closes the cuticle. It also restores the ph balance to your scalp Salt causes your hair to dry out as it sucks the moisture out if your hair because salt is a dehydrator (think ancient mummies preserved by being packed in salt) which makes your hair more coarse. And if you get it on your scalp you get the itchiness cause it's trying to mummify your scalp :p
☮ soaring eagle ॐ
@soaring-eagle
12 years ago
29,640 posts

its simple bs is alkaline and will dry yiir hair out too much sea salyt also dries it out

acv isnt conditioning in itself its acidic acidic restores tghe ph ballance and seals the cuticles shut (the ones that do shut and werent pernenantly pried open by backcombing) this seals in moisture keeping them healthy..without conditioners

if u use alot and soak too long it does soften the hair alot

oily hairs already too acidic so skil]pping it or using very li wull slowly reduce oiiness

but \soon as yoir less oily u should use it

the hair can get very unhealthy if left too alkaline too long so can the scalp..it gets kinda fried

--
My new book Ban The Taboo Vol 1
Baba Fats
@baba-fats
12 years ago
2,702 posts

The only reason I could see not using it is for the same reason Eagle said. If your hair is too oily, it means it's already too acidic. Adding ACV will just keep it acidic, thereby keeping it oily. If you want to reduce oiliness, just use the ACV once a week in very tiny amounts. As the oiliness goes away, increase how often it's used. Then, as your lock mature, increase how much is used, and then how long it's used for.

Doogie
@doogie
12 years ago
321 posts

Ok, thanks SE for suming that up!

soaring eagle said:

its simple bs is alkaline and will dry yiir hair out too much sea salyt also dries it out

acv isnt conditioning in itself its acidic acidic restores tghe ph ballance and seals the cuticles shut (the ones that do shut and werent pernenantly pried open by backcombing) this seals in moisture keeping them healthy..without conditioners

if u use alot and soak too long it does soften the hair alot

oily hairs already too acidic so skil]pping it or using very li wull slowly reduce oiiness

but \soon as yoir less oily u should use it

the hair can get very unhealthy if left too alkaline too long so can the scalp..it gets kinda fried

Dislike 0

Tags

comments powered by Disqus
privacy policy Contact Form