dreadlocks shampoo
Dreadlocks Forums

Quick question(s)

Baba Fats
@baba-fats
12 years ago
2,702 posts

Ok... Where in the UK are you?

Because of your location on the map, you might, and probably do have hard water. In hard water, the BS will not be able to break down completely. This means that you can't rinse it out completely. When a base like Baking soda is stuck in your hair, it'll just keep reacting with whatever moisture is on your head. No matter how much ACV you use, or how much your rinse, the BS will not get washed off, so it'll just keep making your scalp more basic that it should be. This causes itching and brittleness.

There are ways to stop this. You could A) boil you water and very gently pour off the pure water and leave the minerals behind. Don't pour fast, or all of the water off, because that'll just remix the minerals. Or B) make or buydistilledwater. I'm not sure where you can buy it there, but making it isn't that hard. Or C) get a soft water purifying shower head. This is the easiest.

With the pure water that you either bought,made or boiled, though, you shouldn't have anymore issues with BS not fully dissolving

Baba Fats
@baba-fats
12 years ago
2,702 posts

Yeah, them you have hard water. The BS is not dissolving completely nor is it getting rinsed out. That's causing the itchiness. If it is still itching, wash it with just pure cold water. Then go and see if you can either get distilled water or, better yet, a soft water shower head

Baba Fats
@baba-fats
12 years ago
2,702 posts

Just rinse it like that now to stop the itching. You don't want your hair to be wet longer than it has to be. So only rinse it if you really have to. don't rely on this as a cure-all.

I'd recommend boiling it in a pot, instead of a kettle. In a pot, you can see better how much water is left. If the right light, you should even be able to see the undissolved particles. You'll be better able to judge when to stop pouring. And water doesn't boil any faster in a kettle than in a pot, anyway. Yes, pour it into a different container. Let it cool down first, then either mix your BS right in there, or use a funnel and pour it into a bottle and mix in that. Don't pour boiling hot water into a plastic bottle. Obviously.

You should be fine. When you get pure water to wash with, maybe let the vinegar soak for a little longer to help reset the pH. You shouldn't have anything to worry about. BS is a base, but it's not an overly strong one

Baba Fats
@baba-fats
12 years ago
2,702 posts

Cool. Good night. Yeah, it's best not to sleep with wet hair

Doll Russell
@doll-russell
12 years ago
8 posts

I have a 32oz bottle that I use for my baking soda wash: 4 tablespoons baking soda + 30 drops rosemary (because I have dandruff) +water to the top of the bottle, shake til the baking soda is dissolved then pour on my head. I let that soak for 10-15 minutes then rinse out super thoroughly.

Then I do two cap fulls of ACV + 10 drops rosemary + 15 drops peppermint +water to the top, shake, pour, let it set for a few minutes then rinse it out. My scalp went from totally dandruff gross to gorgeous and clean. My dreads are wonderfully soft and smell so nice and the peppermint really kicked the itchiness in the butt.

After my hair is all dry I sometimes add coconut oil to moisturize and keep them healthy but you don't have to do that. I just like to use coconut oil for everything. :p You don't have to use the amount of stuff that I use btw. I was doing a strong rinse since my dandruff was so gross. A lot of people just use baking soda and water and call it groovy.

updated by @doll-russell: 07/19/15 03:33:27AM
Baba Fats
@baba-fats
12 years ago
2,702 posts

Mix the BS with the distilled water. break up any clumps and pour it on. No need to wait once it's mixed. Then wash it off with more distilled water. Once it's rinsed off, you can use your normal water to do another cold rinse.

Baba Fats
@baba-fats
12 years ago
2,702 posts

Yes it will.

So get your hair wet with hot water. This will open your pores for cleaning. The use the room temperature water for the wash itself. The room temp water again for the rinses. Once all the BS and ACV are aut, do a cold wash to close your pores. It's better to wash with warm-room temp water anyway. I was used to washing with hot water too. But once I started doing it with warm water, it feels so much cleaner

/ 3
Dislike 0

Tags

comments powered by Disqus
privacy policy Contact Form