Like this page? Then share it!
dreadlocks shampoo
Dreadlocks Forums

Washing dreads...

Jasmine Marie Gomez
@jasmine-marie-gomez
12 years ago
2 posts
I am doing the neglect method. I've heard washing "speeds up" the process. I'm not interested in washin my hair everyday because that's just not healthy. But I was wondering if there's truth to this. Or will this knot it weird and too tight. Done too much anyway. If that makes sense. @-@
updated by @jasmine-marie-gomez: 01/13/15 09:29:52PM
Shade Of Ashes
@shade-of-ashes
12 years ago
78 posts

From what I've come to understand, dreads tend to loosen with shampooing. The most consistent schedule I've heard to follow is to wash every three days. I suppose if one is a clean freak, then that might sound like a nightmare, and if one is a 2-weeks-without-showering person then it might sound like too often. My own method is to monitor my hair and if I notice it's too oily, I either use saltwater or go ahead and shampoo, and if I notice it's too dry, I skip the shampooing until my scalp tells me its happy. That's just me, of course I don't believe in normal 'structures' or 'schedules' so I think I just found an in between. :)

Tied up in knots
@tied-up-in-knots
12 years ago
202 posts
I can't say whether or really does things up or not but I did bs/acv rinses every single day for the first month or so. Sometimes twice a day. Mostly because it felt nice. It seemed to work for my hair. I always had to separate like crazy afterwards. I still have to separate like crazy after washing but I only wash every few days now that my dreads are actually maturing and blunting. They're taking a lot longer to dry these days.For information I did a mix of twist amd rip with loose hair mixed in to form naturals. I started seeing natty dreads forming within a couple weeks. I only used my jug to rinse my hair though, never the shower until they were more solid. Well, I used the jug but I also like to rinse mermaid style in the tub just swishing my hair around. Its fun. I recommend it.What are you using to wash? That has more effect than how often you wash. Most shampoos are no good. Also how are you washing? How and what are way more important than when in my opinion!
Tied up in knots
@tied-up-in-knots
12 years ago
202 posts
Wow. I really shouldn't post from my phone! The first line should say something like "I can't say whether it really speeds things up or not..."
Valérie
@valrie
12 years ago
539 posts

The reason clean dreads lock up faster is because there aren't any natural oils getting in the way of the locking process. Oils make the hair limp and slick which doesn't knot so great.

I wash about 3 times per week as needed. I focus my washing at the scalp only and let the soapy run off cleans my dreads. If you wash baby dreads directly they will loosen up more.

Ixchel
@ixchel
12 years ago
597 posts

clean hair knots faster, so washing will give you clean hair, but if you wash too often your scalp will overproduce oils & make the hair slick & it will have trouble knotting. You have to find a good balance for your head on how often to wash (& what to use). You don't want your hair oily & dirty but you don't want it too dry & brittle either. Most ppl with baby dreads wash them 2-3 times a week & once mature once sometimes twice a week. Washing also makes your hair move around & rough up on itself which can let it get tangled up, but a shower head directly on baby dreads can rinse them straighter & unknot things too.

No matter what they have to be clean, & no matter what they will loosen & tighten in phases, just stay calm about the process & in time it'll be moving along :)

Dislike 0

Tags

comments powered by Disqus
privacy policy Contact Form