Like this page? Then share it!
dreadlocks shampoo
Dreadlocks Forums

Can't tell whether there's a problem or not.

Cameron Scott Bainger
@cameron-scott-bainger
12 years ago
4 posts

Okay, so I started my dreads three days ago via the twist and rip method, and they began pretty well:

It was a hefty night of putting in all of those dreads, but at 5:10 am I was finally done! I put it up on facebook, and got exactly what I expected: the typical "What'd you do to your hair?!" responses. But I knew it was coming from a mile away, and all that's staying in the back of my head is that it's gotta look bad before it looks good.

But, there's a problem. I went to my friend's house and his girlfriend noted that my hair, now, simply looks like I've yet to comb my hair, and not at all like any form of dreadlocks. And she's right. I've read in multiple places on this site that, yea, the roots and tips are supposed to be loose, but it's to a point where it doesn't even feels like the knots it felt like three days ago when I twisted and ripped my hair. Everything's loosening up, and I was wondering if I'm just freaking out and this is normal, or if this is seriously an issue. Please help!

Here is the current status of my hair:

updated by @cameron-scott-bainger: 02/05/15 10:12:49AM
☮ soaring eagle ॐ
@soaring-eagle
12 years ago
29,640 posts

its perfectly fine looking like u havent combed your hair is exactly what you want

tho how big are those sections they look lil big in places

and how are u washing with what how are u drying etc

really your fine you still got knotty sections thats what u want thatswhat becomes drads

if anything ad a few beads here and there

and stop worrying

they will loosen..maybe even unravel completely thats ok canuse twisr n rip dont make dreads overnight..only not combing for months makes dreads

starter methids really just define sectu]=ions and in most cases ultimately are a waste of time and effort cause they loosen fall apart and then redread thet way they wanted to naturally anyway

--
My new book Ban The Taboo Vol 1
Heathen Hippie )O(
@heathen-hippie-o
12 years ago
164 posts

It's going to fall out. From reading other people's experiences and havingjust a tad of my own [mine are barely starting to dread after 10 mos lol] your "dreads" will fall apart but they're tangled now so don't mess with them too much, and have patience, they will come along. Best wishes.

Cameron Scott Bainger
@cameron-scott-bainger
12 years ago
4 posts

@Soaring Eagle the sections are about 1'' to 1.25'' each, I preferred not to have them exactly even. As far as washing, I've yet to use my anti residue shampoo (will be tomorrow), but I've been towel drying em and blow drying just a bit, and leaving them to air dry after that.

I never thought of dreads like that, being that only not combing for months makes dreads. But thank you for curing my fears :)!

☮ soaring eagle ॐ
@soaring-eagle
12 years ago
29,640 posts

the towel drying will mess em up most when young

--
☮ soaring eagle ॐ
@soaring-eagle
12 years ago
29,640 posts

and anything over an inch is pretty damn big

--
Baba Fats
@baba-fats
12 years ago
2,702 posts

1 inch is the biggest most want them to get unless you're like me and want a few monster huge locks. But 1 inch is about the size of a quarter. That's pretty fat, and can run you into some issue with washing and drying times when they start to mature. if you want them that big, PM me and I'll send you a plan for how to dry them properly.

They look fine, though. For the first 4-6 months, most people see their hair untangle and tangle a lot. Using any starter method, there is a 1 step forward 2 steps back progress. Them untangling is a sign that they are progressing. They have to untangle to knot up again. TnR and Back combing are only ways to help you define the sections. Locks will not form directly from that method. SO don't worry. And Eagles right. The not combed look is what you are going for. Locks aren't combed. You friends girlfriend must not have ever seen someone actually growing locks, or growing them without wax. So don't pay her any mind. Your hair looks exactly like it should.

Cameron Scott Bainger
@cameron-scott-bainger
12 years ago
4 posts

Yea, she compared me to a friend of ours that has dreadlocks that he waxes once a week, but it's nice to see that I'm getting multiple okays for how my hair's looking. The reason I say around 1'' to 1.25'' is because I had my brother's girlfriend section the first dread to 1'' by 1'' and approximate from there, so truth be told, it actuallyfluctuatesfrom more or less than 1'', 1.25'' may be a bit of an exaggeration. But I like the idea of them not being like clones if that makes sense. Thanks for the good word guys!

Baba Fats
@baba-fats
12 years ago
2,702 posts

They shouldn't be clones. That looks boring. I have ones that have 2 inch sections and ones that are thinner than pencils. Most are about sharpie thickness.

When they are different sizes, they look more organic and the smaller ones will in the gaps left by the bigger ones. It just looks nicer

Dislike 0

Tags

comments powered by Disqus
privacy policy Contact Form