Like this page? Then share it!
dreadlocks shampoo
Dreadlocks Forums

how often do you wash in the summer?

Aya Heartright
@aya-heartright
12 years ago
91 posts

Summer is here or, at least, right around the corner. I'm wondering how often you wash your dreads in the summer? Do you only shower when you are washing them or do you just shower cap on off days?

Usually I shower and wash my dreads twice a week but with the heat and getting sweaty I am wondering if I should more often. But at the same time my dreads hit the 6 month mark and are starting to look/feel fine without washing longer. When they were younger I would be counting down the days till my next wash, or washing every other day.... now I don't even notice a difference with them if i go 4 days without washing.

updated by @aya-heartright: 01/13/15 09:27:09PM
Baba Fats
@baba-fats
12 years ago
2,702 posts

I'm a dirty hippy, so I usually only shower when I wash them. I don't mind that gritty dirty feeling between washes. But during the summer if I get really hot sometimes I just run my hair under cool water without washing them. Then I go outside and let them dry in the sun. I still wash twice a week, sometimes 3 times, but if I don't feel the need to wash, I just do th cool water rinse.

If it's really hot and sunny out all day I don't worry about drying time as much. They dry faster anyway. So washing a bit more often is not going to be a problem. But you still want to make sure they dry fully before you wash them again.

Tara C
@tara-c
12 years ago
644 posts

I shower when I wash my dreads, and the days that I don't shower, I just wash just...you know, normally, without a shower. That way I don't have to worry about washing my dreads too often. They take too long for them to dry for me to bother with washing them often. But I don't get hot enough to want to take a shower, I usually just bask the heat away. I'm a winter person.

Valérie
@valrie
12 years ago
539 posts

I've found myself washing my hair "as needed" and my body I usually wash every other day or "as needed" as well. With summer I find myself hiking a lot and I just absolutely need to get clean. I've already washed my scalp a couple of back-to-back days due to scalp sweat and I've not had any issues with them. I think that when you feel grimey then you should just do what makes you feel good. As far as I now, clean hair never hurt anyone's dreads and with those extra hot days they should dry off without a problem. :)

On note with the shower cap, I have shower caps because I never washed my hair regularly prior to dreading anyway. If you find the right caps they work wonderfully. Also, baths are always lovely (just clip the dreads up on top of your head.)

AciDreams
@acidreams
12 years ago
39 posts

just wash when you think theyre dirty, seriously

theres no science to it so dont sweat it

pun intended... im like 23 months or somthin and i wash maybe every other day. i get dirty at my job tho

its just hair, the less you worry the more youll be happy with it. if you think its dirty, it prob is so wash it.

☮ soaring eagle ॐ
@soaring-eagle
12 years ago
29,640 posts

i just shower when i wasnt to wash my dreads and typicaly its twice a week..i see no point in anythng more

tho i pointed this out b4 with sweat theres clean sweat and nasty sweat u ever notice someone whi=os really overweight and has a horible diet when they are sweatty you can smell em assoon as they enter the room? sweats a way to eliminate toxins from the body ..hence whuy native americans use medicinal sweat lodges for healing and other sweats for purification rituals

the purerer your diet the less you will smell when sweatty a raw vegan healy=th nut will have virtualy no smell no matter how sweatty or how long its ben hanging ariund while someone who eats tv dinners that look like puke and the nastiest stuff you ever saw will stink like crazy 5 minutes after a shower

--
My new book Ban The Taboo Vol 1
Aya Heartright
@aya-heartright
12 years ago
91 posts

True. I forgot that my dreads will dry super fast in the heat. Right now they take about half a day to dry.

SE This is VERY true. Thankfully I eat about 50-70% raw in the summer, pretty much raw till dinner and then I make something light for the husband and myself. I smell so much worse in the winter with my crap rice amd bean diet than in the summer when produce is cheap.

Dislike 0

Tags

comments powered by Disqus
privacy policy Contact Form