Like this page? Then share it!
dreadlocks shampoo
Dreadlocks Forums

my dreds are consuming themselves?

CiArA
@ciara
12 years ago
25 posts
Help? Im almost 3 months in (yay!) And for the most part, my dreds are doing great, loose hair, don't care, I know everything is going pretty good.BUT. ive got 3-4 super dreds at the back of my head (probly where I sleep) that are consuming themselves?I mean theres basically no wispy ends, the dreds have eaten most of it up into the dred. Awesome right? Im not sure. Especially since my hair is quite long, halfway down my back, but these particular dreds stop just slightly below my neck. Huge difference. Is this 'normal'? I wonder if the rest of my hair will catch up and do the same?Crazy random dreds are great, but I don't want my hair this short! What the hell! I mean ive lost at least 6 inches on these...Also at the nape of My neck, a super looped up tightass wad of a dred is there where I used to have longer hair, and this wad is like 5 inches long. I started just taking that one apart...trying to split it or something cuz its alit of hair, and I just don't really care forthe giant wad. I know I know, natural is s best but I really don't like that one.The others, I love, but wonder what the future holds, why so much shrinkage, will my other hair do that, is there a way tokeep it from getting so short,I wanted mydreds long like my hair, or at least close. Is this a normal phase of them?Any info or ppl who can relate would be awesome
updated by @ciara: 01/13/15 09:26:24PM
Valérie
@valrie
12 years ago
539 posts

I haven't experienced any serious shrinkage yet but I am in my second month and I used TnR... not sure if much shrinkage is in store for me yet or not.

So far I have seen a lot of people on this site who have experienced shrinkage from little to a TON. I have also read that is you get more shrinkage the straighter your hair is because of looping.

Sorry, I know this isn't much help but I wanted to let you know that you are not alone. Perhaps you can go to the shrinking dreads group (don't remember what it's called but I do remember seeing it) on this site and directly read results, see images and directly talk to those people?

☮ soaring eagle ॐ
@soaring-eagle
12 years ago
29,640 posts

it must shrink to dread!

think about wewhat a dread is

straight hair stretched out to 1 foot long then crupmpled up into a matt thats only 3 inches long

the longer the hair to start the more it shrinks ive seen hair shrink hrom butt to chin..

but then when it grows it grows

u got to let it go

it will shrink ..till mature then grow forever

the 1 yiur taking out or splitting lets see it

--
My new book Ban The Taboo Vol 1
Baba Fats
@baba-fats
12 years ago
2,702 posts

Most people experience shrinkage of about 1/3 to 1/2 the original length. So it's totally normal. Once it locks up it'll explode with growth. I have one that was about an inch 5 years ago when it finally matured. Really short, I know. It's over a foot long now. Over a foot of growth in only 5 years. My hair never grew that fast in my entire life. So don't worry. They'll shrink in the beginning, and you'll be sad about it. But as the become mature, all of that length will come flooding back

CiArA
@ciara
12 years ago
25 posts
Ok I just can not get a good pic of it. But its hard to split, I may give up on that venture lol. I pulled someof the hair out straight (not all the way up the dred tho, and then a tiny bit on each side I did pull all the way out) can't really get anymore loose. Maybe what I pulled out will sort of redo itself and not be just wadded up.. I was splitting it cuz the section spans across the nape of my neck, but there's other little dreds nearby that could use that hair, and I don't really want a big fat dred down the middle of my neck. Idk maybe it would be cool. Lol. Im trying not to interfere too much, I did what I could, guess illsee how it goes from here. Didn't know there was a"shrinking dreds" group either lol, will check it out. thx SE for reassuring. Id rather have all super different length dreds than to have them all be short tho. Just my personal preference for myself. If they all end up short...well by then ill be so far into it who cares. Thx!
Dislike 0

Tags

comments powered by Disqus
privacy policy Contact Form