dreadlocks shampoo
Dreadlocks Forums

Baking Soda and Sea Salt ratios

☮ soaring eagle ॐ
@soaring-eagle
12 years ago
29,640 posts

you said what i said in his other thread nut you said it better

u shouldnt try jumping to twice a week tho do 2 days then 3 then if u can 4..

slowly add in acv once less oily

thatll help with rebalancing when u go from oily to dry

--
My new book Ban The Taboo Vol 1

updated by @soaring-eagle: 07/23/15 02:24:43AM
Heather
@heather
12 years ago
1,291 posts

i just want to say that i've been doing the bs wash since getting a water filter and its the cleanest my hair has ever felt. the first couple washes my scalp was itchy and i was a bit worried but i continued to use bs and its no longer itchy and my scalp is feeling really clean. i add tea tree oil and my dandruff seems to be getting better too. i'm not doing the acv rinse right now though because i still find that it leaves my loose hair too soft. i used 2 tbs acv in my 2qt container of water. i'm not sure if thats too much.

Supa Dread
@supa-dread
12 years ago
100 posts

Hey Rohan, As far as everything related to the dreads themselves these dudes are experts n i got nothing to add. As far as the working out goes, maybe i can help. i work out 5 times a week, and sweat like hell. i found it actually sped up my locking process, dont know if this is a fact. Maybe it has something to do with the salty sweat, all i know is my personal experience. Just be sure to let it dry thorougly. Either by air, or i a;so use a blowdryer and hold that "cool" button, this blows only cool air and u dont fry ur hair.I also noticed i sweat a lil more on my forehead, so headband is a must unless u like that awesome burning sweat in the eye sensation, hope this helps brotha.

christina popejoy
@christina-popejoy
12 years ago
91 posts

Thanks for this! I'm trying this out as we speak! I've got to the hang around in a towel with the BS soaking a little. Gonna make the ACV with a lil tea tree added! I kinda feel like a potion maker in my bathroom right now! I'll let you know how it goes though! The Lush bar I have been using left a lot of soapy residue I think and is not helping dandruff. This could be the answer :D

christina popejoy
@christina-popejoy
12 years ago
91 posts

Ha ha don't know what happened to my follow up post so heres another one!

Followed the recipe down to a tea!

It felt all nice a tingly to start with. And clean but on closer inspection the soapy resudie dandruff is still on my scalp and base of dread, so much so they look a lil white near the roots. Feels soapy still?? is this the effect of using the Lush bar for a over a month and will take a few BS/ ACV washes to break it down??

Thanks

RSavage26
@rsavage26
12 years ago
50 posts

What I do is I rinse my hair on the hottest setting available on the faucet to my shower. I keep rinsing at that temperature, only lowering when it gets too hot for me to handle. After about 10-30 mins, it should all come out. If necessary, seperate your locks in the water so it can get to those hard to reach places and massage your scalp. Then, either rinse your hair with cold water, or do the ACV/White vinegar rinse (immediately rinse after if you have new dreads or wait for a few minutes if they're old) with cold water. That's worked for me. My hair may not be the same texture as yours so adjust as necessary.

christina popejoy said:

Ha ha don't know what happened to my follow up post so heres another one!

Followed the recipe down to a tea!

It felt all nice a tingly to start with. And clean but on closer inspection the soapy resudie dandruff is still on my scalp and base of dread, so much so they look a lil white near the roots. Feels soapy still?? is this the effect of using the Lush bar for a over a month and will take a few BS/ ACV washes to break it down??

Thanks

Baba Fats
@baba-fats
12 years ago
2,702 posts

Baker street, not to sound insubordinate, but 84 grams seems like a lot. You'll understand this, but that means you're using 1 molar of Baking soda. That concentration gives a pH of roughly 9. The Vinegar is Acetic acid. That concentration would give a pH of about 4.5. I don't really know how to do an equilibrium constant of a weak acid and weak base, but know that the Ka of the vinegar is stronger than that of the baking soda, would this bring the pH of the solution close enough to 7?

Baker Street
@baker-street
12 years ago
11 posts

Baba,

Hmmm;) This might be splitting dreads!! 84 grams is not too much if your adding 1000 mls of water to it, and the ph would be more around 8, if I'm not mistaken. At that concentration it would be safe enough to inject into the human body, lets say if the alkalinity of the blood was more acidic such as in a shock situation when there is more waste in the blood than oxygen. None the less it should be enough solution to start, and safe enough to use in your hair. The Ka of the vinegar, I'd have to get a chemistry book out to find its weight, and then of course its ph is altered by the amount of water added to it, which is then further aggravated by the rinsing of the baking soda solution from your hair, before the vinegar rinse. All in all the two separate solutions would work well together one after the other to do the job of cleaning and correcting the ph of the hair. But Baba, rather than argue about chemistry we should hang out at the drum circle in Fairmount, much more fun!

Baba Fats said:

Baker street, not to sound insubordinate, but 84 grams seems like a lot. You'll understand this, but that means you're using 84 molars of Baking soda. That concentration gives a pH of roughly 10. The Vinegar is Acetic acid. That concentration would give a pH of about 4.5. I don't really know how to do an equilibrium constant of a weak acid and weak base, but know that the Ka of the vinegar is stronger than that of the baking soda, would this bring the pH of the solution close enough to 7?

Baba Fats
@baba-fats
12 years ago
2,702 posts

I used to go all the time. But with school and work I haven't been able to. Now that the semester is over, and it's getting warmer again, I'll be trying to make it out.

Sorry about the debate. I'm a geek. Talking science is what I do for fun. I haven't been out of school a full week, butI read this post and grabbed a slit of paper and started to do calculations. Chem isn't my best of best subjects, but I like it a lot. I'm a bio guy. I ended up with about 8.6 for the pH of the BS. and after further research realized that the body was naturally slightly acidic. So it makes sense that the result of using the 2 would be closer to the acidic side. It makes more sense now.

Yeah, we should hang out at drum circle. Do you go every week? Is it still by the rock bridge? or is it back up on Lemon Hill? It's probably been 2 years since I last got out ther

JH
@jh
12 years ago
4 posts

hi, my dreads are a days old. could i do a rinse that early?

/ 9

Dislike 0

Tags

comments powered by Disqus
privacy policy Contact Form